PDA

View Full Version : knock sensor

DJ_Sunrise
06-07-2004, 09:00 PM
i checked my ECU and got a code 34, bad knock sensor. what happens if i keep running my engine with the bad sensor? can the knock sensor for some reason mess with my gas mileage? could bad timing for some strange reason cause the knock, and what should the stock timing be on an S13 KA-DE?

~Sunrise

DJ_Sunrise
06-08-2004, 07:54 PM
bump

~Sunrise

stinky_180
06-08-2004, 08:28 PM
what happens if i keep running my engine with the bad sensor?
bad gas mileage since the detonation sensor sends signals to the ecu for ignition timing and fuel injection control

can the knock sensor for some reason mess with my gas mileage?
read above

could bad timing for some strange reason cause the knock,
maybe, try putting higher octane in, clear diagnostics from ecu and check again.

and what should the stock timing be on an S13 KA-DE?
20 degrees BTDC@idle speed +-2

Casper!
11-17-2004, 11:53 PM
ok is there a pic of were this detonation sensor/knock sensor iss

i have a bad one too :(

idlafie
11-18-2004, 01:43 AM
i checked my ECU and got a code 34, bad knock sensor. what happens if i keep running my engine with the bad sensor? can the knock sensor for some reason mess with my gas mileage? could bad timing for some strange reason cause the knock, and what should the stock timing be on an S13 KA-DE?
Sunrise

Bad knock sensor does not affect gas mileage.....Purpose of the knock sensor is to "retard" your timing when your engine/combustion chamber is running lean, so as to prevent your engine from blowing up. Knocking is caused by the burning of the gas inside the cylinder BEFORE the piston goes down. Some people call it detonation. In any case, the piston gets a big knock, which may eventually destroy it. Bad news ! Knocking is caused by bad fuel, or advanced timing, or high internal combustion chamber temperatures - usually due to a disconnected EGR system.

Your Bad Knock Sensor Code 34 is probably due to a faulty ground wire connection..which is common on most older KA motors. Check the ground wires on the driver side engine block directly above the oxygen sensor. The wires tend to break at the ground connector due to engine movement caused by wear & tear of the motor mounts. You may not be able to tell just by looking at it, but they can & will break...DON"T ask me how I know this!!
You'll have to cut & re-solder the wires to a new ground wire connector / grommet & reground the wires. Once you do this, your Bad Knock Sensor Code 34 will go away.

As to your poor gas mileage, that could be due to a number of reasons...mostly either equipment/sensor failure and/or engine maintenance. When was the last time you did a tune up?? Checked the timing & idle?? Changed the air, fuel & oil filters? Replaced spark plugs, distributor cap & rotor? Flushed your fuel injectors?? Checked your spark plug wires for resistance & continuity?? Equipment/sensor things to check are, 1). Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor and 2). Oxygen sensor.

Time to crack open your Factory Service Manual and start reading.....
ID

sepulchral
11-18-2004, 12:03 PM
just replace the knock sensor when u get time/money i ran sr on 15lbs with no knock sensor for 3 months nothing happened when i replaced it with a good one, i noticed no difference in timing.

Pacman
11-18-2004, 07:02 PM
Like idflie said, its most likely the wires. I just fixed the knok sensor on my car since I got that code, and it was the sub-harness that was toast. The location is between cylinders 2 and 3 on the block. look down the intake manifold and you'll see it. Its a little black circle with a harness going off it to the front of the car. the connector is the black one thats next to the coolant hose on the intake mani.

chuy
11-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Ive got the same problem Ive got a 98 and mine has been bad for 6 months, its not the fact that I dont have the money to pay for a new one or what to check (all the ground wires, vacuum lines) I just dont feel like shelling out $200 for a new one that is until onw of my homies can get me a brand new Nissan one for $130.

Skaterjunky8
11-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Would this affect the car starting? I pulled my codes and I got 34 and 13. I am having trouble starting the car. it doesnt really cold start. If I get lucky it will turn over but then die, so I have to gas it a couple times before it runs normaly. It cranks but doesnt turn over most the time.

idlafie
11-24-2004, 01:11 AM
Would this affect the car starting? I pulled my codes and I got 34 and 13. I am having trouble starting the car. it doesnt really cold start. If I get lucky it will turn over but then die, so I have to gas it a couple times before it runs normaly. It cranks but doesnt turn over most the time.

Code 13 = Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor....on a 95 S14 with a stock KA motor...not sure if it applies to you though...what year is your car again?? You running the stock KA right?? Have to ask that...lots of pep's round here have upgraded to either a SR, or CA, or have gone KA-Turbo....which makes a BIIGG difference...
ID
...wondering why everyone forgets to list what year their car is when posting to the group....