PDA

View Full Version : Car runs rough with Cone filter...

Thieu
06-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Weirdness....

I got a K&N Cone filter and a cheap adapter plate from ebay. I installed it and my car would run rough at idle. The engine would kinda buckle band and forth making the car shake. So I looked at the plate and it seemed that air was coming in because it was a crappy design. I installed the air box back in and it was a lot better but not 100% perfect.

Yesterday I decided to put the cone filter back on so I made a gasket kinda thing to keep air from getting in from the side of the adapter plate, but it still runs crappy... what's the deal?

AKADriver
06-07-2004, 12:00 PM
What did you do with the hose that goes from the AIV to the airbox? The cheap eBay cone filter adapters I've seen don't incorporate a port for the AIV hose.

If your AIV is just sucking unfiltered air, it can gum up pretty quickly and make the engine run like poo when it sticks shut.

lazyyy-.-
06-07-2004, 12:06 PM
yea..i got one of those adaptors from ebay too. i've had it for a day now. the adaptors do leave the hose from the AIV unfiltered. what could you do to fix this? could i get one of those little "air breathers" from advanced auto and fit it to the hose?

AKADriver
06-07-2004, 12:18 PM
Yup, a breather will work.

Cleaning the AIV is simple... you'll see it has a "lid" held down by a bracket with two phillips screws. Take out the two screws, then pry the lid off gently. There will be a little rubber valve attached to the "lid" by a spring, that gets stuck to its seat inside the unit. Spray all around down into the unit with carb/throttle body cleaner. Wipe some of the sludge out with a shop towel on your finger.

Button it all up, reconnect all the hoses (or attach a breather), enjoy.

Oh yeah, while you've got everything taken apart, shoot some of the carb/throttle body cleaner in your MAF.

lazyyy-.-
06-07-2004, 12:35 PM
cool...glad a breather will work. i'll go pick up one today. thanks for ur help.

95zilvia
06-07-2004, 01:42 PM
reset ur battery.

Thieu
06-07-2004, 05:56 PM
My AIV has been off the car for a while now, so has the EGR. All the hoses and holes have been plugged up.

I'll try resetting the ECU

orion::S14
06-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Install the plate, and look directly into the MAF...does it cover ANY of the little hole inthe top part of the MAF???

I've heard of a lot of the cheap-o adpaters blocking that hole a little...it needs to be smooth air going across the element.

You'll notice the inlet should be offset, a little up.

If not, I'd bet that's it.

AIV has nothing to do with it, remove that hunk of crap, and cap the exhaust mani with a nickel. Seriously.

- Brian

Ghettokracker71
06-08-2004, 11:10 AM
Yup, a breather will work.

Cleaning the AIV is simple... you'll see it has a "lid" held down by a bracket with two phillips screws. Take out the two screws, then pry the lid off gently. There will be a little rubber valve attached to the "lid" by a spring, that gets stuck to its seat inside the unit. Spray all around down into the unit with carb/throttle body cleaner. Wipe some of the sludge out with a shop towel on your finger.

Button it all up, reconnect all the hoses (or attach a breather), enjoy.

Oh yeah, while you've got everything taken apart, shoot some of the carb/throttle body cleaner in your MAF.

Will that make the engine act any different,adding a breather that is? I have an eBay adapter and it has the place for the hose inlet,but I was just wondering.

lazyyy-.-
06-08-2004, 12:00 PM
what is the AIV supposed to do anyway?

lazyyy-.-
06-08-2004, 12:02 PM
what is the AIV supposed to do anyway?

nlzmo400r
06-08-2004, 03:55 PM
my car did the same thing, i didnt have an adapter plate. So what i did was i cutout a piece of hte rubber stuff around the fileter, used garder hose to extend that vacuum line right behind hte maf and JB welded it air tight inside the intake (downwind of the filter) and that worked fine for me

Agent_S13
06-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I have the same thing on my car --- cheap adapter plate and a cone filter. Car would always run rough. I had no idea why. Then I turned the MAF upside down. I just rotated it as far as it can go (limited by the length of the wiring) and now I idle fine. Don't ask me why... I'm going to take a guess that the hot-wire in the MAF wasn't getting the right reading w/ in the current location and that by moving in it, it could get the appropriate reading. I also didn't support my cone filter so it does weigh down a bit.

I also left the AIV unplugged... no problems so far. Funny thing is that now and then the Check Engine light to comes on, but if I push the car --- like really rev it and speed, the light goes off after awhile. (Maybe I should check to see if any codes are thrown? Either way, no problems w/ the MAF turned upside down)

-Aaron
'91 240sx coupe