PDA

View Full Version : z32 brake Q's

devonkyle77
06-07-2004, 07:38 AM
i have 2 problems..i had my z calipers powdercoated, and the guy forgt to remove the bleeder screw..so it wont move now, any wqay i can bleed brakes without that? and #2, i cant remember which way the pistons were in the caliper, the flat side toward the back or the cutout part on the back..please help

uiuc240
06-07-2004, 08:14 AM
no. you have to get that bleeder screw out. just put a wrench on it and twist until the powdercoating breaks and the bleeder comes loose. then replace it with new Russell Speed Bleeders.

flat side of the pistons is to the back. the hollow area should face toward the pad.

Eric

devonkyle77
06-07-2004, 08:56 AM
thanks, now how would i go about pushing thr pistons back into the caliper?

msaskin
06-07-2004, 09:40 AM

Big-ass pipe wrench/pliers squeezing between the back of the caliper and the piston. Seriously, as long as you don't damage the rubber seals you're OK.

~matt

Dream240
06-07-2004, 12:12 PM

The easiest way to do it is to simply push them back in with your hands.

TIPS:
use a small amount of brake fluid to lubricate the new seals BEFORE you put them in the caliper. Also dip your finger in the brake fluid and lather up the inside of the caliper chamber that way the piston will slide easily into the caliper.

MAKE SURE THE PISTON IS SEATED FLAT BEFORE YOU BEGIN TO PUSH IT IN. If it doesn't slide in relatively easily with your fingers, then it's not seated right, pull it out and try again. DON'T FORCE IT!! DOING SO WILL PINCH THE SEALS AND YOU'LL END UP LEAKING FLUID ALL OVER THE PLACE WHEN YOU TRY TO BRAKE. You will not need a mallet, hammer, vice, etc if you use enough brake fluid to lubricate the parts. If the piston gets stuck and you're tempted to use a mallet, IT'S NOT SEATED PROPERLY!! REMOVE IT AND START OVER!

And above all, BE PATIENT!!!

Good luck.

devonkyle77
06-15-2004, 11:07 PM
i had no luck until i put the pistons in the freezer..they shrunk a few thousandths and fit in nicely:)

Dream240
06-16-2004, 07:46 AM
huh now that's using the ole' noggin!!

Smart thinking!

Glad it worked for ya.