PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know the answer to this

jdzumwalt
06-07-2004, 01:11 AM
Ok, Ive done a bunch of searches but I can't seem to find an answer. Will a sr20det down pipe (hks, greddy ect.) replace the factory us spec cat/down pipe.

I figure the manifold and sr20 dump pipe have go to be close in there locations.

If so does it bolt up to the old cat or the factory exhaust mounting locations?

Gregg

LigouriRd
06-07-2004, 06:19 AM
Most of the KAT manifolds have the turbo above the manifold (top mount)as opposed to the factory SR manifold below (bottom mount). Therefore i think the SR downpipe is going to be too short to reach...unless you have a bottom mount ka manifold...this is what you are talking about right?

Grandpa
06-07-2004, 07:19 AM
The answer you are seeking is not, by nature, a simple yes or no. The overall dimensions of the SR downpipe are the same as the US version, and the bolt patterns on either end are identical.

However, the SR turbo elbow is clocked a slightly different angle than the KA exhaust manifold. So, in order to get the SR downpipe to work, you must use one of three options:

1. Purchase an aftermarket cat or test pipe with a flange that rotates.
2. Cut/weld the downpipe so it will bolt up perfectly.
3. Undo all of the exhaust hangers and wrench the crap out of the exhaust to get it to line up, but stuff will hit, rattle, and generally look weird.

Oh, and most DIY KA-T guys use the SR downpipe for their turbo needs, and then simply weld/fabricate a turbo elbow out of DIY parts, like found at www.roadraceengineering.com. This method works for BOTH top mount and bottom mount.

Hope this helps,

-john