PDA

View Full Version : Glowing Japanese License Plate Question

drivenlegend
06-07-2004, 01:01 AM
I just ordered one of the luminescent Japanese plates.... Yes I found a real one. But anyway, I found out that they are lit by an Electroluminescent Sheet mounted behind the plate, and run off the headlight power so they glow when your lights are on.

http://www.tigerdude.com/japan/license/premium.html

Anyway, my question is....... In lew of paying like $180 for a sheet of the stuff from beingseen.com, do you guys think that I could just buy one of the $30 EL lit keyboards from my local computer store and just tear it apart for the sheet inside?

Let me know what you think, maybe I can save a little $$$.

Nate

Propagandhi41
06-07-2004, 09:03 AM
damn that's pretty bad ass...i've never really even noticed japanese license plates being like that. do whatever you can to save some $$$

Enemigo
06-07-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm glad i got mine from my old car in Japan!... Its pretty cool looking and gets lots of attention. About your question, you can actually get anything thats translucent and will let light pass through, just make sure it will seal all around so no water gets in. It very thick as well.. Here's its resting on my car, you can see the thickness, so plan for that.

http://img18.photobucket.com/albums/v53/Enemigo/pipes.jpg

Jose

drivenlegend
06-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Well, the plate doesn't come with the housing, that's the problem. I knew that the plate with the housing and lighting element would be pretty thick. I just needed to know if I could gut one of those EL keyboards to salvage the lighting element.....

Either that or I need to contact someone in Japan to see if they can get me the housing with the lighting element....

Nate

Ghettokracker71
06-07-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm glad i got mine from my old car in Japan!... Its pretty cool looking and gets lots of attention. About your question, you can actually get anything thats translucent and will let light pass through, just make sure it will seal all around so no water gets in. It very thick as well.. Here's its resting on my car, you can see the thickness, so plan for that.

Your post makes me wonder about laws regarding this type of thing. Ever gotten pulled for it?