PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming on the clunk from by diff

Zbythegods
01-21-2014, 07:26 PM
Hey fellow Zilvians again,

I have a 95 s14 witha redtop sr20. I have what I believe to either be an open diff or possible a 1.5way. Not entirely sure, I bought the car with it. If anyone could tell me what to look for I could find out and post it. Months ago I noticed when I go a little hard around turns it would pop and clunk which from my understanding is normal for a LSD or equivilent. Now I'm noticing a slight knock from the diff between 70-80 mph as well as pretty serious popping when I turn from a complete stop. So basically unless I clutch super slow and not give it gas turning, it will pop a lot. Does anyone think I just may need to change the gear oil or is this diff a possible goner? Any help would be awesome guys. I can post pics if needed.

240boi115
01-21-2014, 09:48 PM
best thing to do is to pop her open and see whats going on down there. if its serious be happy you caught it in time.. a diff that basically locks up/jams is scary as hell going even 40 mph

Fuego
01-21-2014, 09:55 PM
best thing to do is to pop her open and see whats going on down there. if its serious be happy you caught it in time.. a diff that basically locks up/jams is scary as hell going even 40 mph

+1 on this.

Some diffs like to clunk at low speed, tight turns but knocking at highway speed aint right. Check out what's going on in there.

fliprayzin240sx
01-22-2014, 02:24 AM
Did you check your subframe bushings? Clunk could be that. If its good, and its the diff, lash could be off.

Zbythegods
01-22-2014, 05:52 PM
Hmmmm. Listen guys I really do appreciate that. I'm going to check the subrame bushings first. I hope to the gods it is that but knowing my luck it might not be. What I noticed is it does get worse if I hit a bump on the highway...might be the bushings after all. I just hope I can hold the fort down until this weekend lol.

Zbythegods
01-22-2014, 05:53 PM
It is kind of sketchy though. I was getting off the exit ramp today taking a right bank at around 70 and the wheel locked up for a split second. Scary shit lol.

di-devol
01-22-2014, 05:54 PM
Kinda doubt that it could be the subframe bushings if it's clunking at speed.

Mikester
01-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Well, the one thing that I haven't seen is anything you happened to notice when you GOT UNDER THERE AND LOOKED AT EVERYTHING BEFORE STARTING A THREAd! But seriously, if you have the sound isolated down to the diff area; the problem could very well be obvious... Just sayin' ;)

Check the nuts/bolts holding your axles to the diff... and the DS nuts/bolts... as well as the other mounting points & the bushings. Could just be some slop due to loose/missing hardware... Also verify the axle nuts are securely fastened thru the rear hubs...

Might be a little easier to help if you can tell us for sure what the problem is NOT... Yano?

Zbythegods
01-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Well, the one thing that I haven't seen is anything you happened to notice when you GOT UNDER THERE AND LOOKED AT EVERYTHING BEFORE STARTING A THREAd! But seriously, if you have the sound isolated down to the diff area; the problem could very well be obvious... Just sayin' ;)

Check the nuts/bolts holding your axles to the diff... and the DS nuts/bolts... as well as the other mounting points & the bushings. Could just be some slop due to loose/missing hardware... Also verify the axle nuts are securely fastened thru the rear hubs...

Might be a little easier to help if you can tell us for sure what the problem is NOT... Yano?

Yeah you are right Mike, I apologize for not inspecting it first. It started happening on Monday during my work week and I work 7am-midnight during the week. I was hoping to get a few suggestions so I can take it on this weekend and make sure I still have a car to take to work on Monday lol. I definitely appreciate you guys being helpful for sure. I will update the post with what the issue is this weekend if I find out what it is. I'm going to check all the factors you mentioned. Thanks again.