PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Z32 Caliper Stripped at Line Fitting, Suggestions?

S13Grl
06-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Mark & I installed his Z32 brakes in the front about 8 months ago. The whole time, the car's been up on stands in the garage due to other crap that we've been working on and it's all been fixed. However, the caliper kept on spitting brake fluid out of the point where the line bolt meets the caliper. We used new washers with the ss lines kit (bought from Project Silvia) and didn't wanna overtighten them for the sake of not stripping anything, the caliper being aluminum and all. Well today we removed the line fitting out of the caliper and what do you know - the caliper's stripped. Does anyone have any suggestions? We did buy them re-manufactured so they may have been stripped to begin with. I know we can use a tap & die set to re-thread the hole, but will be loosing material. I don't see how we can get the line fitting into the re-threaded hole that would probably be 10.5 or 11mm vs 10 factory. I think it's 10 at least. Anyway... has anyone had this problem or has any suggestions? We're not about to dish out another $100+ for a new caliper. So HELP! :)

Chernobyl
06-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Also, if anyone knows the thread pitch on the calipers and the brake lines, that'd be awesome.

DuffMan
06-05-2004, 08:06 PM
This is the best solution I can come up with. It kind of sucks.

Get 1 front SS 240sx (not z32) front brake line. Replace the the banjo bolt with a 11mm one and drill out the banjo fitting for it. Then tap the caliper to 11mm.

I guess you could also try to find a 11mm flare bolt and unflare and reflare the line.

Chernobyl
06-05-2004, 10:35 PM
11mm taps arent too easy to come by.

For future reference (for people searching)

Torque for the aluminum calipers is 12-14ftlbs.... so you dont strip them out.
10M-1 thread pitch.

DuffMan
06-05-2004, 10:39 PM
7/16 could work then.

drift into a curb
06-05-2004, 11:14 PM
Correct 10mmx1.0. Could purchase another remanufactured caliper and return the stripped out one. Kinda sheisty, but that same thing happened to me when I went to go install speed bleeders. The aluminum caliperwas so soft, it was stripped when i took out the bleeder screw. Sucked. Put it back in, it didn't hold pressure obviously. It seems more of a hassle to try to locate the correct size banjo and retapping it.

cdlong
06-06-2004, 04:49 PM
most remanufactured parts from autozone have a lifetime warranty, a lot of other places are the same way. maybe you could check on that. what washers did you use and where, i thought the z32 used a flare fitting, not a banjo bolt.