PDA

View Full Version : turning steering wheel, rpms drop? and knock sensor gone bad?

DJ_Sunrise
06-05-2004, 02:44 PM
hey guys, i was driving today in my 92 w/ KA and i noticed while im turning my steering wheel, my rpms drop from 800rpm at idle all accesories off to about 600rpm. i also checked my ecu and it chipped out the code 34, knock sensor. i checked my FSM but cant find any sort of useful information on it. how much does it cost to replace, where by the engine is it located? is it worth ripping one out from a junkyard'ed 240? could my timing be off, therefore giving me a code 34? hehe.. several hundred dolars later :duh: , maybe im finding the culprit to my power loss.. :naughty:

~Sunrise

Bbandit
06-05-2004, 05:16 PM
as for P/S, maybe your P/S bad is going bad. Or you might have a bad steering rack. Check for leaks.
You should check the belt also, maybe its too tight or loose.

as for code 34. the knock sensor is located under the intake manifold on the lower block. you should be able to see it clearly from under the car. You can try and pick one up from a junkyard and see if that works.
mine threw this code too a while back.. i dont know why but maybe because im using 95 KA in my 91 s13(91ecu). So I reset the ECU, and its fine for now..

RiceEata
06-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Might be a bad power steering sensor...it's welded to the power steering line. On a s13 follow the power steering line to the front of the motor next to the oil pan. ..you probably have to buy a whole power steering line assembly, maybe you can get one from the junk yard for cheap.

mjjstang
06-05-2004, 08:24 PM
I got an extra knock sensor from a redtop sr donno if It would work though.

DJ_Sunrise
06-05-2004, 11:06 PM
im just not sure why turning the steering wheel would lower my rpm? its strange.. any idea if SR20 knock sensor fits in a KA anyone????

~Sunrise

RiceEata
06-06-2004, 01:39 AM
im just not sure why turning the steering wheel would lower my rpm? its strange.. any idea if SR20 knock sensor fits in a KA anyone????

~Sunrise

Power steering sensor suppose to adjust the rpm's when you turn the wheel.