PDA

View Full Version : RB Tomei oil restrictor vs. Spool oil drain

specialk2003
01-07-2014, 04:13 PM
So I did a search and didn't come up with anything all that helpful. All I found was people talking about going with one or the other. I thought it might be helpful for people to be able to see the pros and cons of both of these parts and hopefully let them choose based on what people say or have experienced.

I wanted to see what the general consensus is regarding using either the Tomei oil restrictor OR the Spool head oil drain on the RB's.

This last year I didn't run with either of these items and was still having some over-oiling issues in my head causing excess oil in my overflow. This year I want to decrease the possibility of this happening. I thought it might be a good idea to get some sort of discussion going about what people have used in the past and their opinion based on their experience.

I wanted to outline the pros and cons of each also. (if people want to contribute, I will try to keep the original post updated as much as possible)

The Tomei oil restrictor Pros;
low cost (~$11)
stops over-oiling in the head
no extra external parts

Cons;
restricts the amount of oil going to the head

Spool head oil drain Pros;
drains excess oil from head directly to oil pan
does not restrict oil flow

Cons;
much higher cost (~$235)
more external parts on engine

My personal opinion is that the drain is going to be better overall. I just think that restricting the amount of oil going to the head is not a good idea, no matter how small of a difference it is. That having been said, I still feel like the Tomei oil restrictor is not a bad option, especially considering the cost difference. My goal for this year is to be turning close to 9k rpm on my RB20 (3076, supertech valve springs, kelford cams (270, 9.35 lift), supertech pistons, arp studs, scl bearings, cometic gaskets) as long as its still making power that high. Having a 9k rpm goal, I feel it might be a better option to go with the drain as opposed to the restrictor.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

G-E@Z31P
01-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Relevant: Oil Control In Rb's For Circuit Drag Or Drift - Page 44 - Forced Induction Performance - Skylines Australia (http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/110680-oil-control-in-rbs-for-circuit-drag-or-drift/page-44)

Baffle the cam covers...