PDA

View Full Version : check engine light flashes

red93vert
01-03-2014, 06:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if you knos the fix, I have a 1993 dual ka and I have no idea why but my check engine light flashes, it's not in the self diagnostics mode, when when I do the self diagnostics it shows there is no code saved, and it just seems to flash when under acceleration. Has anyone ever experienced this????? I need help plus my cars not passing smog

Rambuck
01-04-2014, 01:29 AM
Not passing smog, yet no DTC set... Have all your self-tests passed? A cheap generic scan tool can reveal the status. I like the wireless XTool with iODB tool.

As for flashing... Seems to me like a transmission problem. Mine sets a DTC when it happens but there could be others that don't set. In any case, these won't prevent you from passing smog. They might interrupt the self test however... Probably an intermittent fault with the vehicle speed sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Rambuck
01-04-2014, 02:14 AM
I believe one that doesnt set a DTC is the speed sensor monitor (backup) sensor. But some others may exist. Do you have an AT? Is there an overdrive button on the shifter? If so, perform an AT self-diagnosis. It's tricky.
Warm up, turn off
Ignition to Acc
OD on
Shifter in park
Ign ON (don't start)
Does OD lamp come on?
Repeat if no.

If yes:
IGN off/IGN on (don't start)
Shift to Drive
OD off
IGN off/on
Wait 2 seconds
Shift to 2nd
OD on
shift to 1st
OD off
Press gas pedal fully and release

OD lamp should illuminate and flash several times. There's and order to the pulses. If one is longer than the rest, there is a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

pancakes562
01-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Try unplugging your car overnight. It'll reset everything when you plug it back in. Might work?

red93vert
01-07-2014, 01:58 AM
Thanks guys, I figured out the problem

fliprayzin240sx
01-07-2014, 03:01 AM
If its not on diagnostic mode and suddenly starts blinking while accelerating, that is usually the knock sensor.