PDA

View Full Version : Ebrake lock up

s13_whoa
12-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Why doesnt my tires lock up when i pull/yank on the ebrake? Its pretty tight, i tightened it from the 10mm bolt under the handle. It keeps me from rolling at about 4-6 clicks. I was in my friends honda which he yanked the ebrake & you can hear the tires lock and screech. Mine barely locks up but it still slows me down i guess. I just cant drift with my ebrake basically and that sucks. I clutch kick to much on a bad clutch already.

brndck
12-22-2013, 11:44 PM
It doesn't lock up because you touch yourself at night.

Pull harder.

s13_whoa
12-23-2013, 12:06 AM
It doesn't lock up because you touch yourself at night.

Pull harder.

Pull harder? How hard is that thing suppose to get pulled wth? Im yankin that shit. Theres gotta be something goin on

240boi115
12-23-2013, 12:21 AM
your cables might be worn and stretched out, check your rear brakes and see how well it locks when you pull that bish. a lot of em get worn out anyway due to people ripping em all the way up to park and shit... its supposed to be used for hills, emergency scenarios and shit...

zooopreme
12-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Just pigging back off what this person said^

Check your rear pads first, then the mechanism that is pulled by the cable (to see if it's still moving), and if that doesn't work, replace your cables. Don't forget to loosen up the nut on the ebrake lever before you do.

Also, learn to drift without the sole use of your handbrake. That's probably why yours wore out to begin with.

s13_whoa
12-23-2013, 12:38 AM
your cables might be worn and stretched out, check your rear brakes and see how well it locks when you pull that bish. a lot of em get worn out anyway due to people ripping em all the way up to park and shit... its supposed to be used for hills, emergency scenarios and shit...

Fasho thanks

s13_whoa
12-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Just pigging back off what this person said^

Check your rear pads first, then the mechanism that is pulled by the cable (to see if it's still moving), and if that doesn't work, replace your cables. Don't forget to loosen up the nut on the ebrake lever before you do.

Also, learn to drift without the sole use of your handbrake. That's probably why yours wore out to begin with.

My pads are good. Ima check the cable. Thanks. & i havent drifted one day with my ebrake yet. Thats why i wanted to find the problem and try it one time and see how it is. My clutch is already giving out on me. So i dont wanna punjsh it to hard.

DJ-of-E
12-23-2013, 02:20 AM
If you "have" to ask this question online before you actually "check" on your brakes, please let a professional mechanic or a friend actually look at your car.

Brakes (including e-brake) on the 240sx is simple to figure out and determine why it is not working. But if you do not have a sounding mechanical knowledge, I believe you will screw up more than fixing and will become a hazard to you and everyone else on the street.

I understand not everyone has time to "google" or "look at fsm" or "everyone has to start somewhere," but if you really want to learn, you got to take things apart and figure out how each unit works. However, you still need guidance and supervision to properly shown how to gauge parts and problems.

sleepyS14se
12-23-2013, 07:20 AM
I had 19's on my car and my ebrake wouldn't lock up at all. I removed the 19's and put 17" wheels on (350z normal 17's). still doesn't work.

Car is an original automatic and has been a 5 speed for about 4 months.

Ebrake feels so tight as if no one ever used it since it was new. Even now with the 17's it doesn't matter what i do or how quick/ far i yank the ebrake...they will not lock up.

I decided to go with a PBM hydraulic e brake set up.

dbeiler
12-23-2013, 07:53 AM
If you're using stock 240 brakes, you'll need some really sticky brake pads to lock up. Especially if you're using grippy tires or big wheels

240boi115
12-23-2013, 12:31 PM
I had 19's on my car and my ebrake wouldn't lock up at all. I removed the 19's and put 17" wheels on (350z normal 17's). still doesn't work.

Car is an original automatic and has been a 5 speed for about 4 months.

Ebrake feels so tight as if no one ever used it since it was new. Even now with the 17's it doesn't matter what i do or how quick/ far i yank the ebrake...they will not lock up.

I don't mean to be too much of an ass here but how in the hell did anything you type help the OP

sleepyS14se
12-23-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't mean to be too much of an ass here but how in the hell did anything you type help the OP

and may i ask how the hell you are contributing to this thread? gtfo dude.

I am in the same boat as OP with the non working ebrake.

sleepyS14se
12-23-2013, 02:31 PM

solution is a hydraulic ebrake

DJ-of-E
12-23-2013, 03:48 PM
I was dumb to not realize the OP wanted to lock the brakes "while moving." I thought his parking brake is not working.

The stock e-brake mechanism has only enough lock to use as a "PARKING BRAKE." It is not an E-BRAKE at all (or very weak one with that only holds up to 225 ft/lbs of brake pressure).

Hydraulic e-brake is the answer.

Nissansota240
12-23-2013, 04:14 PM
My daily s14 with stock se rim 205/55/16 tires while traveling down the road in a straight line at 60 mph I can put the clutch in, pull the ebrake and easily lock the rears up.

Also my s14 track car still only has stock rear brakes, with just some new autozone pads and I have no issue ussing the stock ebrake to lock up 225/45/17 on 17x9.5 battles.

Have you tried pushing in the clutch when you pull the ebrake?

Also maybe take apart your rear calipers and re grease them. Also make sure your cables are in good working order.

Stock ebrakes when in good working condition should be able to lock up there rear.