PDA

View Full Version : S14 Tach and Speedo dead

cfz3
12-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Been doing a lot of research on this to try and get this problem solved but if there is someone who has had this problem HELP ME OUT. Doing this favor for a friend. Previous owner performed manual transmission swap into this car, previous owner removed A/T control module when he did the swap. Doesn't seem like removed module would have any communication effect on cluster read out.

1)Performed continuity test between tach, speed, fuel and temp connections (ecm, sensors etc.).
2)Performed vehicle scan to make sure there was nothing else out of place.
3)Sent cluster to AER performance for diagnosis and repair.
4)Performed wire repair and correct wire connections converting it from kouki to zenki wire harness I guess.
5)Plugging in diagnosis tool into obd2 port for real time read out, the scan tool does show RPM's, vehicle speed and temp.

So far I have gotten the fuel and temp gauges working, while speedo and tach are still dead. Wondering if anyone has attempted to jump tach and speed signal from Kline wire in obd harness? Tried using two different clusters and results are the same. Message me on this or HMU on my cell if you know the solution to my problem. THX

fliprayzin240sx
12-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Have you checked to make sure you're getting all 12v power into the cluster? On my first S14, there's a 12v power wire into the main plug that rubbed out and would ground itself behind the dash. Everytime it grounds out, it would kill my tach and speedo.

cfz3
12-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Yeah, blue green and orange are going to be hot on start up or always hot.

coreyh
12-16-2013, 10:52 PM
edit: ignore me I see you did check for continuity on it.

I mean the vss could still be faulting but if the computer sees signal id throw that option out.

cfz3
12-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Ran after market tach directly to distributor wire, have signal. when running it through pin 3 on ecm no read out. ecm dead? you think? Makes me wonder if there is a different input signal into ecm then jumps it to pin 3 for output to cluster.

coreyh
12-17-2013, 12:03 AM
honestly id follow the wire from the vss to the ecu, then ecu to cluster.

furtherseei
12-17-2013, 03:59 AM
there's a 12v power wire into the main plug that rubbed out and would ground itself behind the dash. Everytime it grounds out, it would kill my tach and speedo.http://goo.gl/SYjPSI

coreyh
12-17-2013, 05:03 PM
seems like its a common power issue. check common power and ground on both the tach and speedo

cfz3
12-18-2013, 01:27 PM
ECU pin 3 sending signal to tach cluster but not sending voltage to power gauge. Temp, Tach, and Fuel now work. Will do complete review with pictures when finished.