PDA

View Full Version : a few elec. q's..

giant killer
05-31-2004, 06:36 PM
first off.. i have been having serious problem getting my car started after putting the motor back in.. so today i started checking "everything".. well first thing i check are the fuses.. the 75 amp alternator fuse was blown.. could this affect say.. the brake lights?
is this a common problem and if so is there a common fix?
is this a dealer only fuse or should i be able to pick one up at napa?

second.. i relocated my battery to the trunk.. i am running a large 1/0 gauge wire from the back to the front.. i am wanting to redo how i have it setup.. would 4 gauge be big enough for the battery positive cable running rear to front?

thanks in advance... bennyb

mjjstang
05-31-2004, 07:09 PM
um usually fuses can be found anywhere, well maybe not taht big but im sure you will find it at any auto parts store. also if other lights are working, break lights should also.

FastBack 240
05-31-2004, 08:56 PM
4 gauge is sufficient but why not just go with a thick zero gauge?

mjjstang
05-31-2004, 09:19 PM
unless you have the largest system in the world, 0 gauge is just a waste of lbs and money.

giant killer
05-31-2004, 10:00 PM
at most the car will have a cd head unit and the two door speakers.. i agree with mjjstang, 4awg is cheaper and weighs less.. plus the stinger distribution block i am getting is 4awg input.. yulp..

FastBack 240
06-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Cause the 2lbs is gonna kill ya? Just take a dump before you drive it will equal it out. But yea your right 4 should be suffiecient.

lotusdrift
06-01-2004, 07:18 AM
I just relocated my battery using the summit racing kit. It uses a 2 awg positive cable, and recommends 4 awg for running a ground cable all the way to the engine bay (which I did). Home depot/lowes has a pretty good selection of cables and fuses, although they were short on connectors for cables with this large an ID.

If an alternator fuse is blown, I would think that would affect the whole electrical system (never had one blow though, so could not say for sure).