PDA

View Full Version : Noob Engine Overhaul Question

HB_Alex
12-16-2013, 09:16 AM
hey guys I have a quick question...

I just finished overhauling my engine (all new gaskets since the old ones were leaking like mad). After reinstalling everything how it was (even where I had the distributor marked and installed properly) my engine seems to be misfiring pretty badly. What was weird was that I was playing with the distributor to see where it would run best, and I had to rotate it completely in the opposite direction from where it was before I pulled it out.... What did I do wrong???

Idle issue 240sx for Zilvia - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eecs-28IGUY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUG_Dq5EXbypI8-WuKDUyOtA)

^ sound of whats going on

94spitfire91
12-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Well if you successfully started it up you're not too far off. Sure you have the firing order correct?

Suit
12-16-2013, 11:08 AM
yea i would check the firing order first and foremost and you might wanna check your wires, the old ones might be cooked and could possibly be conducting like shit. did you get new spark plugs?

shift_down
12-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Advice to the op, don't go replacing parts unless you know they are broken. Don't listen to people who tell you to change your spark plug wires for no reason.

Your timing is off by one tooth is my guess.
If you messed with the chain, make sure it is in correctly. Also make sure the dizzy marks line up with each other.

HB_Alex
12-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Okay I'll do that. Just FYI I changed my plugs and wires when I did the overhaul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Suit
12-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Advice to the op, don't go replacing parts unless you know they are broken. Don't listen to people who tell you to change your spark plug wires for no reason.

Your timing is off by one tooth is my guess.
If you messed with the chain, make sure it is in correctly. Also make sure the dizzy marks line up with each other.

I had the same issue with one of my cars and the issue was resolved with new wires. I'm not here to argue, but you don't have to go out of your way and tell people not to listen to me because you didn't agree with my (or anyone's for that matter) suggestion. Though I do agree that I should have said "might wanna check your" instead of "might wanna get new" and have since stand corrected, it was still a possibility though we now know op changed them out during rebuild.
But as shift_down did suggest and i would have suggested next had it not been stated, check cam and dist timing