PDA

View Full Version : SR flywheel: step or no step?

000ADRush
11-18-2013, 07:07 PM
So I searched all over and I haven't been able to find a direct answer for this.
My clutch went out so I got a SPEC stage 2 clutch. I got my flywheel resurfaced and it was hard to tell if there was a step or not. After it was resurfaced, there was clearly no step. Completely smooth.
Is this a problem or no?

Redtop Sr coupe

oni jake
11-18-2013, 08:49 PM
uh? Resurfacing a flywheel is generally supposed to smooth out the entire surface.

000ADRush
11-18-2013, 08:51 PM
When resurfaced, they can leave a step on there if it already has one.
If Im not mistaken that is. I've only read about it lol

Redtop Sr coupe

oni jake
11-19-2013, 04:51 AM
You are mistaken

fliprayzin240sx
11-19-2013, 05:02 AM
All depends on the flywheel. OEM is smooth, Nismo might have been stepped.

derass
11-19-2013, 07:43 AM
I changed the clutch in my S13 Blacktop, and the stock flywheel was stepped. The machinist pointed this out to me, he machined the 2 surfaces separately to retain the step.

After reading flip's reply, I wasn't sure if the flywheel is supposed to be stepped or if it is a result of the clutch disc wearing into the flywheel. So I checked the S14 200SX FSM, which would use the same flywheel as S13 SR20, as it is also a 5 SPD, there is an illustration that clearly shows the step,
however there is no mention or specification.
s14 Sr20det Fsm (http://www.scribd.com/doc/18702945/s14-Sr20det-Fsm) pg 104

The pressure plate mounts to the raised surface and the disc rides on the lower surface. Worst case, by removing the step, you bring the pressure plate closer to the flywheel and risk the clutch being unable to disengage fully.

000ADRush
11-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Fuck I just hope it doesn't cause any problems. I don't have the time or money to order a new flywheel

Redtop Sr coupe

oni jake
11-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah it won't cause any problems. Stock OEM SR flywheels are supposed to be completely smooth. The pressure plate is supposed to be mounted at the same level as the clutch disk. Any sort of step will lower the clamping force of the pressure plate and therefor, you aren't getting your money's worth.

With all that said, there are different types of flywheels and clutch setups. I'm speaking strictly for S13/S14 RWD SRs.

000ADRush
11-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Yeah it won't cause any problems. Stock OEM SR flywheels are supposed to be completely smooth. The pressure plate is supposed to be mounted at the same level as the clutch disk. Any sort of step will lower the clamping force of the pressure plate and therefor, you aren't getting your money's worth.

With all that said, there are different types of flywheels and clutch setups. I'm speaking strictly for S13/S14 RWD SRs.

Awesome, helps me relax. Hopefully I can get my car running tonight. Thanks guys!

Redtop Sr coupe

slw240sx
11-19-2013, 12:56 PM

Steps normally increase clamping force. the outter ring is ground 5-7 thou lower then the friction surface. so the pressure plate friction surface is held tighter to the flywheels friction surface.
Most Nissans use a step. I have seen plenty of Sr's with and plenty without steps. I wouldnt worry much