PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Not Auto-Centering: Help!

teh smithers
11-11-2013, 11:07 AM
I fiddled with a few things on my S14, and prior to my fiddlings, the steering system auto-centered as it should. Now, when I steer into a corner, the wheel doesn't re-center AT ALL. Literally, I can make it through a corner without touching the wheel. Granted, this is highly entertaining, but also highly annoying. I'd like to fix it.

My steering wheel is a S15 OEM item. It's been on the car since I bought it, and never behaved this way, until now.

My list of fiddles:
- New clock spring installed to fix my horn. My turn signals don't cancel anymore, so I know I installed it incorrectly. (At least the horn works again.)
- New front coilovers installed (Fortune Auto 500's). I've read of people installing new struts, and afterwards experiencing a problem similar to mine. I've installed coilovers before, though, and didn't encounter this steering problem.
- Mild fiddling with toe angle and caster angle. Nothing drastic.

My ideas on what's causing my issue:
- Clock spring installed incorrectly?
- Coilovers installed incorrectly? (Doubtful)
- Caster or toe way out of alignment? (Which I also doubt, because I've never encountered this problem before, no matter how atrocious my alignment was.)

Helpful folks are highly encouraged to reply. Thank you :wan:

jr_ss
11-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Typically coils have a good amount of friction between the springs and their seats. Something you may want to try or add is a roller thrust bearing. This should alleviate some of the "binding" and the wheel and coilovers should be able to rotate more freely, "auto-centering" as you called it.

Now that may not fix all the problem, there could be other issues, especially not having a clock spring installed correctly.

brndck
11-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Wait, you changed your toe and caster? Randomly? Without measuring???

Go get an alignment.

OMFGeofffff
11-11-2013, 01:29 PM
+1 on getting an alignment. Go look up what caster does and you'll understand.

zerodameaon
11-11-2013, 02:17 PM
+2 on alignment, then come back to us and tell us how it went. If it did not correct it at least that is one thing out of the way that will affect everything else we come up with.

teh smithers
11-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Wait, you changed your toe and caster? Randomly? Without measuring???

Go get an alignment.

The toe was done using levels in the garage, so it's a very, very rough guess. Thankfully, the car has only seen about 5 miles since.

The caster was hardly touched. While under the car, i noticed that my tension rod's locking nut was finger loose. So I tightened it up, and matched it to the other side.

I won't be able to get an alignment until the weekend, but once I do, I'll post up the results. I'm assuming I should shoot for stock caster values?