PDA

View Full Version : S14 sr20det

Edawgcappizle
10-29-2013, 10:26 PM
Hey guys first post! :)

I've been having a bit of an issue with my 97 Kouki since I bought it.
It is a wee bit hard to explain but when I am accelerating, mainly in the lower gears it's like it is hunting.
There is no issue when I am giving it shit for example doing a skid but if I am taking off and try to give it some acceleration the issue will occur.
It is a manual converted factory Turbo S14.
Any help would be very much appreciated, and any questions just ask. cheers in advance!

genericforumname
10-30-2013, 12:16 AM
hunting for what exactly? a gear? boost? going to need a much better description than just "hunting" under lower loads.

brndck
10-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Is it hunting season? Has it been issued a permit? Taken a firearms safety course? Wearing its orange safety vest? Don't forget hearing protection!!!

Or perhaps you could DESCRIBE, using WORDS, exactly what you mean.

Kallixtos
10-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Hunting = surging......happens a lot on diesels...and locomotives, not sure if that's what he means . You should list what mods have been done to the car OP, and if you have any other symptoms

Edawgcappizle
10-31-2013, 02:44 AM
Hunting = surging......happens a lot on diesels...and locomotives, not sure if that's what he means . You should list what mods have been done to the car OP, and if you have any other symptoms

My car is factory turbo with a manual conversion, done by the previous owner. The motor is completely factory, no mods whatsoever.
Like I said it's hard to explain, hunting was the only term I could think of. I'm sorry brndck that you aren't familiar with it. No need to get your knickers in a twist haha.
Hesitating would be a better word to describe it. When under load more-so in lower gears it will hesitate, and it's definitely not a miss-fire.

genericforumname
10-31-2013, 03:34 AM
maybe this is a stupid question but was the ECU changed when the transmission was? if it was a factory automatic then it may still be trying to work that ECU instead of the one for the proper transmission.

brndck
10-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Like I said it's hard to explain, hunting was the only term I could think of. I'm sorry brndck that you aren't familiar with it. No need to get your knickers in a twist haha.
Hesitating would be a better word to describe it. When under load more-so in lower gears it will hesitate, and it's definitely not a miss-fire.
Sooooooooo you didn't bother describing it, or taking a video or anything useful, but you expect us to be able to help you sort it out?

I've heard the term "hunting" before many many times in reference to automotive. It is NOT the same as "hesitation".

Hunting is when the RPMs rise and fall at idle on their own; repeatedly, and will not stay stable in one position.

Hesitation would be where you press the a accelerator and the RPMs do not respond to this input.

Very different things.

Now which one was your issue?