PDA

View Full Version : Help needed for no start on a POS vert.

S13Lovell
10-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Ok so as you can tell i'm not to happy with my recent purchase. In Aug I bought a 92 vert, yea thanks to getting ripped off twice of this fourm it's taken me awhile. But I've just finish (sorta) my 5 spd swap. So everything is done with that and its cost me at least a grand to do. So i'm pretty tapped out, and yet this 240 demands that I spend more money on her. Anyway, it wont start! lol. little more details in bullet form...

- as soon as it spends over and I pull the plugs, the plugs are soaking wet.
- I THINK its getting to much fuel, but its hard to tell.
- she just spends and spends and im lucky to get it to hit once.

Facts

- She has fresh fuel.
- Has new plugs.
- It has fire.
- It has compression.
- she ran before I pulled the bad tranny out so timing was never touched.
- I've replaced the injectors.
- I hate this car.

:picardfp:

partemisio
10-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Pull the plugs
Turn the key on
See if there is fuel entering the cylinders without cranking

S13Lovell
10-23-2013, 07:14 PM
I've taken out and cleaned those plugs at least 20 times, and everytime they have fuel on them. :-/

partemisio
10-23-2013, 07:16 PM
Did you read my reply and completely understand what I said? Do not attempt to start it, just turn the key on so the fuel pump does its initial prime.

S13Lovell
10-23-2013, 07:32 PM
yea so just like it should no fuel goes in before I push the key past "on"

partemisio
10-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Do you hear the pump come on? I'm not sure if the pump will run on these cars with the motor sitting still or not. On my talon the pump won't come on until the motor is rotating(gets a signal from the cam sensor), it was designed that way from the factory.

S13Lovell
10-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Yea i'm hearing the fuel pump cut on for the normal 7 secs and then cutting off.

partemisio
10-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Crank it over for a few seconds
Pull the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator
Do you smell fuel in the vacuum line?

S13Lovell
10-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Humm.. that's going to be a tom thing. I've been working on this thing for hours tonight and am about to burn it to the ground. So i'm going to take a break for tonight. lol. I'll get back to you tom on that one.

cotbu
10-23-2013, 10:54 PM
What engine? If you think there is too much fuel, remove fuel pump fuse, and crank the engine over with the throttle wide open.

P.S. Timing is important!

S13Lovell
10-24-2013, 11:19 AM
is a ka. ive pulled the fuse spun it over to clear it out cleaned the plugs and repeated that 20 times at least.

Yea I know timing is everything lol. but it ran before and I never touched the timing... :(

DRFTSAINT
10-24-2013, 11:56 AM
You said this started after you converted to 5-speed right? Have you checked all the wiring and fuses just to make sure you didn't accidently ground anything out and blow any fuses, or pinch a piece of your harness during install?

cotbu
10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
He said, he has fuel, spark and compression, engine is spinning. The simple solution would be timing. He may not have enough air for the fuel, so the throttle open during start was suggested. I think you should at least set engine to tdc and verify timing. Assuming ecu is connected and working.

Sent from my Highly Tune Galaxy S3.4!!!

S13Lovell
10-24-2013, 02:21 PM
yea ive checked all fuses and fixed and insurred all wiring is fine. it started before I did the swap, but that was about 3 months ago (hence me putting new fuel in yesterday). so timing WAS right and I havnt touched it, however I agree I should check it again.

S13Lovell
10-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Ok so it's been mentioned to me to check the crank angle sensor but for the life of me I can't seem to locate it on an s13. or any information leading me to it

cotbu
10-24-2013, 09:11 PM
It's on top of the transmission bell housing. Did the previous transmission have one? Or does the new ecu require one?

Chaluska
10-25-2013, 12:02 PM
It's on top of the transmission bell housing. Did the previous transmission have one? Or does the new ecu require one?

not on the S13...

did you bypass the 2-wire connector on the fuse box?

if you are getting spark and fuel, need to look into timing. Period

S13Lovell
10-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Yea so here is a update with what I got going on at the moment. I've got the car running, timing is fine. It runs and idles HOWEVER! and this is the part you wont believe... when I give it gas it dies... it will only idle if the fuel pump fuse is removed!! once it is idling and I put the fuse back in it dies. and with the fuse removed the pump is NOT running.

cotbu
10-25-2013, 08:34 PM
not on the S13...

did you bypass the 2-wire connector on the fuse box?

if you are getting spark and fuel, need to look into timing. Period

He did a five speed swap, maybe his transmission wasn't an s13. And even though he said crank angle sensor, I just assumed he meant cps:thumbdown:

Anyway verify the routing of the fuel lines, check for leaking injectors, verify tps closed voltage, pull ecu codes first. After the engine idles (even if rough) warms up enter timing mode set timing to 20deg.(with light) I like my k.a.t's to idle at 800rpm. I don't remember what stock k.a's idle, but set it in timing mode. After tps, timing and idle are good you should be able to rev , if not the injectors are still leaking. Remove the fuel rail, key on engine off and look for leaks, its also helpful to know pressure and if the lines are correct.

S13Lovell
10-25-2013, 09:31 PM
He did a five speed swap, maybe his transmission wasn't an s13. And even though he said crank angle sensor, I just assumed he meant cps:thumbdown:

Anyway verify the routing of the fuel lines, check for leaking injectors, verify tps closed voltage, pull ecu codes first. After the engine idles (even if rough) warms up enter timing mode set timing to 20deg.(with light) I like my k.a.t's to idle at 800rpm. I don't remember what stock k.a's idle, but set it in timing mode. After tps, timing and idle are good you should be able to rev , if not the injectors are still leaking. Remove the fuel rail, key on engine off and look for leaks, its also helpful to know pressure and if the lines are correct.

Hey man thanks a lot for your help. I just now, after months of fighting with thing have got it running. It starts but wont idle now. Which is a good point to carry on with. So tomorrow i'll get it timed where I want it and work on the idle. BTW, it was the damn oem fuel pressure reg. Which makes since in the end, but I looked over it a few times.

cotbu
10-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Good to hear, keep this thread open and use it for trouble shooting, just update the original post and use a link to a post number, with header. Or if it's running right, post a video and start peeing on 'em!;)