PDA

View Full Version : Detonation, Smoke, Oil from BOV on SR?

PSI240SX
05-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Went to a local slide event yesterday with my new coupe running blacktop SR, stock SMIC, DP, Walbro, and Exhaust. 10psi through a manual boost controller. All day I had zero problems and I guess that one my last run someone came up and told me there was a pretty good amount of smoke at the end, I also remember noticing a loss of power on that run.
When popping the hood, I noticed that there was oil that had shot out of the BOV into my engine compartment. I removed the factory catch can thingy when swapping. Anyway, on the way home shortly after that the car was smoking pretty heavily. Whats weird is that it was black and white. And I could hear detonation. The white lasted for awhile but then slowly started to go away and now only puff's it. I am assuming that the black is because the ecu is detecting knock and dumping in fuel right? Could the oil have gone through the IC, and its causing it to heat soak easily, therefore causing detonation? I am using a Silvia non-turbo bumper so there is no hole for the IC. But the car was fine the night before and the 150 mile trip to the event. I have run no catchcan before and never had the oil out of the BOV problem, do you think maybe a seal went bad in the turbo? Any help is appreciated.
Also there was oil dripping from around the recirc valve is plugged to.

mohnissan
05-23-2004, 11:47 AM
I do not have a good experience but it hapend for my in my CA-T there was alot of smoke came the Exhaust ( it was white )

so it was my turbo there is a play in the shift and the compressor wheel was crack (below a pic for my damage turbo)

try to open the pipe from the Intercooler to the Throttel body (to see the TB)
if it have an oil on to it

if there is an oil mabye your turbo have problem

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mohnissan/images/DSC01413.JPG

brianglawson
05-23-2004, 12:34 PM
the oil form the bov, happened to me when i first started my sr, but not after some serious running, does just a lil bit now, but thats not very unusaul, its very neglegable(sp?)

sr240mike
05-23-2004, 01:03 PM
White smoke= coolant, Blue smoke= oil, Black smoke= rich condition. Did you drive the car home while it was still detonating? Its sounds like you just blew the oil seal.

PSI240SX
05-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Compression test results are as follows:
Cold motor, been sitting all night. 135, 125, 98, 140
There were signs of oil on #3 and a little on #4

Oh well, I had plenty of fun doing it! Big thanks to HachiBill for hearing detonation on the very first run and not saying anything all day long! Assh*le!!!!!!!

kcolyer27
05-23-2004, 07:37 PM
Get an oil catch can. My friend had oil coming back through his bov, intake, intercooler piping. Oil catch can solved his problems.

sr240mike
05-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Man, cylinder 3 looks jacked right now.