PDA

View Full Version : pdm control arm

smellslikecurry
05-21-2004, 01:00 PM
just bought new pdm racing control arms - driver side refuuuuuuuuses to go on and ive been working on it for days, i want to start over again and start from the beginning but i cant seem to get the control arm off the whole brake thing - you know where it connects to the ball joint - there isnt enough room to take a hammer to it, and last time i did that it ended up messing up the threads on the ball joint - which led to the new pdm control arm - someone please help before i doing anything to crunk up my suspension even more - thanks :Owned:

s13conv
05-21-2004, 01:31 PM
You need a ball joint puller some people call them "pickle forks". Harbor Freight sells them cheap. Autozome may have a loaner if you don't want to spend the money.

Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38649)

NinjaGaiden
05-21-2004, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't use the pickle fork cause they mess up the ball joint cover. U need the press, but that is a tool not even the nissan mechanics have.

Before u try restarting over here this: I just intalled a new control arm on my driver's side too. try using a jack to jack the control arm up the right spot. that's how i did it.

s13conv
05-21-2004, 01:50 PM
I wouldn't use the pickle fork cause they mess up the ball joint cover. U need the press, but that is a tool not even the nissan mechanics have.

Before u try restarting over here this: I just intalled a new control arm on my driver's side too. try using a jack to jack the control arm up the right spot. that's how i did it.

True. I skimmed too fast. :o I wouldn't use it on a new one either. I only use it on the old since it doesn't matter.

NinjaGaiden
05-21-2004, 01:59 PM
anotehr hint is you might want to make it easier on yourself by removing hte calipers, rotors and hubs first, so it is lighter and easier to hold up into place.

if your tension rod is already installed, u can take it off and just put the control arm in first with the tie rod attached to remove all that stuff. hopet his helps. I knwo what you mean, i was stumped at how i was going to get it lined up, but using the jack really helped me