PDA

View Full Version : Help r32 gtr smoking

jon128
10-02-2013, 05:49 AM
I recently just bought a r32 gtr to drive while I'm building my 180. Car sat for 3 years outdoors motor not fogged. It didn't smoke before now I got it up
And going and I'm getting white blue smoke. Compression is 140psi across the board

Thanks Jon

theboy
10-02-2013, 06:02 AM
its either rings or valve seals. judging it makes consistent compression across the board. I would go with valve seals.

kpnasty
10-02-2013, 06:10 AM
good compression means nothing, you have comression rings and an oil control ring on the pistons.

jon128
10-02-2013, 06:45 AM
I thought valve seals at first but than was told it would smoke on start up in the morning after sitting all night if it was valve seals and it don't. So oil rings was my next guess but I didn't want to believe that lol not looking for another project

spools420a
10-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Not sure how to test the oil control rings but to test if its your valve guide seals you start the car with a vacuum guage hooked up,on the intake/exhaust stroke if there leaking will cause the vacuum guage to fluxuate up and down very rapidlly,also when you drive it will smoke when you let off the gas.

Id do a leakdown test,could just be a blown turbo seal...can you start the car with the turbo removed or will map sensor cause it to not start?if so see if it still smokes with it off.,also make sure PCV valve is doing its job too much poitive crank case pressure could cause it to smoke.also take that old gas and replace with fresh

jon128
10-02-2013, 07:23 AM
The PVC valve is not there anymore and I just notice a lot of
Oil in my tail pipe. Could this be a bad exhaust seal
In the turbo?

rwtf
10-02-2013, 07:54 AM
turbo seal.

cotbu
10-02-2013, 08:16 AM
The engine probably just needs to run.
What did you do before the first start up, after 3years?

jon128
10-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Just and oil change and looked over things. It was laid up because it was "running bad" but all it was was the intercooler pipe was off.

racepar1
10-02-2013, 10:22 AM
So oil rings was my next guess but I didn't want to believe that lol not looking for another project

So, you bought a R32 GTR, but you're not looking for another project?

:tweak:

Well, THAT was dumb...

It's a 20+ year old car man, they're ALL projects...

josh350gt
10-02-2013, 10:38 PM
turbo seal.

turbo seal, oil rings if it smokes more after entering boost then its a turbo seal. also check your bov if it has oil in it then its a turbo seal, if not its most likely an oil ring but its rare that the oil ring is bad and the compression ring hasnt gone bad too. i have the same issue, but its my #5 compression ring and turbo seal.

jon128
10-03-2013, 07:10 AM
turbo seal, oil rings if it smokes more after entering boost then its a turbo seal. also check your bov if it has oil in it then its a turbo seal, if not its most likely an oil ring but its rare that the oil ring is bad and the compression ring hasnt gone bad too. i have the same issue, but its my #5 compression ring and turbo seal.

How low compression is your #5

fullthrottle
10-03-2013, 08:01 AM
good compression means nothing, you have comression rings and an oil control ring on the pistons.

This comment means nothing. Compression is a good way to check the health of a motor.

cotbu
10-10-2013, 05:04 PM
This comment means nothing. Compression is a good way to check the health of a motor.

For a novice looking for a decent engine, yeah maybe, but you cannot determine the health of an engine based on compression of the cylinders alone. You wouldn't know if oil has been added or if it took 12 cranks to reach those numbers. What if the crank and rod bearings are gone. Etc. It's a good place to start, but if you're not dropping the pan after a compression test don't bother doing one.

Sent from my Highly Tune Galaxy S3.4!!!