PDA

View Full Version : key steps to changing fuel pump?

cowbomb
05-19-2004, 01:23 AM
i was about to change my fuel pump myself and just wanted to know any key tips on changing it. also would it be better to go and just get one from autozone or get something like a walboro.. i heard that with the walboro it tends to run rich so what should i do?

91' ka24de

bkfill
05-19-2004, 04:04 AM
WALBRO + SAFC <-get that :x

if your turbod :)

TheTicTac
05-19-2004, 04:13 AM
Depressurize the fuel system before you start messing with the lines... Gas cost alot

TNathe
05-19-2004, 07:30 AM
^ haha. Get a walbro. I think they even cost less than a stock pump. I put one on my car and it doesn't run rich. When you do it, turn the car on and pull the fuel pump fuse and wait until the engine dies. This will depressurize your fuel line because the last thing you want to do is have fuel all over your carpet in your trunk and in your ojos. If you get the walbro it will have these instructions in it.

Yoshi
05-19-2004, 11:21 AM
^ haha. Get a walbro. I think they even cost less than a stock pump. I put one on my car and it doesn't run rich. When you do it, turn the car on and pull the fuel pump fuse and wait until the engine dies. This will depressurize your fuel line because the last thing you want to do is have fuel all over your carpet in your trunk and in your ojos. If you get the walbro it will have these instructions in it.

do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
if not, then you really have no idea if you're running rich...

sAFC is probably overkill, if you're running a N/A KA, all you need is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a gauge.

95Blue240sx
05-19-2004, 12:10 PM
i remember reading somewhere that the walbro kits for the s14 are wrong. and you are suppose to get a certain kit with different hardware. i dont remember what site it was though.

uiuc240
05-19-2004, 12:37 PM
As long as your fuel pressure regulator is working, changing your fuel pump won't have any effect on whether or not your car runs rich. The pump sends fuel at a constant rate based on voltage. 14.4 volts from the alternator gets you a certain flow volume (unless you have a WRX with its RPM-driven pump voltage regulator!). So, if you have a 190lph Walbro, like me, it will send 190 liters of fuel each hour to the regulator. The regulator will set the pressure to 43.5 psi (which goes up at 1:1 as boost increases in an SR...15 psi boost gets you 58.5 psi of fuel pressure) and then it returns the fuel it doesn't need to the tank.

So, the pump has nothing to do with your car running rich. If someone put a pump in and then the car ran rich, they need a new regulator. Simple as that.

Got it? :)

Eric

Yoshi
05-19-2004, 04:34 PM
As long as your fuel pressure regulator is working, changing your fuel pump won't have any effect on whether or not your car runs rich. The pump sends fuel at a constant rate based on voltage. 14.4 volts from the alternator gets you a certain flow volume (unless you have a WRX with its RPM-driven pump voltage regulator!). So, if you have a 190lph Walbro, like me, it will send 190 liters of fuel each hour to the regulator. The regulator will set the pressure to 43.5 psi (which goes up at 1:1 as boost increases in an SR...15 psi boost gets you 58.5 psi of fuel pressure) and then it returns the fuel it doesn't need to the tank.

So, the pump has nothing to do with your car running rich. If someone put a pump in and then the car ran rich, they need a new regulator. Simple as that.

Got it? :)

Eric

That's wack.
That means my fuel probs several months back meant that my FPR was fux0r'd?! boo. :( Are you talking about the stock FPR or an adjustable?

TK1999
05-19-2004, 05:13 PM
from experiance ur gonna need a vacuum and some shit to scrap off all the dirt that builds around the fuel pump.

did this and had an arse load of dirt fall into my gas tank, wasnt funny cleanin the crap myself

uiuc240
05-19-2004, 05:33 PM
That's wack.
That means my fuel probs several months back meant that my FPR was fux0r'd?! boo. :( Are you talking about the stock FPR or an adjustable?

Unless everything I understand about how an FPR works is wrong...then yes..yours was messed up. Unless yours was not stock.

An adjustable one can be set to whatever pressure you want, meaning that you can up the pressure to, say 50 psi, and make yourself run rich. If you up the line pressure, the injectors are forced to squirt *more* than their rated static pressure of 370cc/min (since that rating is at 43.5 psi usually). Make sense?

Eric

slideways240
05-19-2004, 05:59 PM
i had to reuse my old sock filter on my S14 when i put in the walbro.wasn't a big deal though.car only had 30k on it and the filter looked brand new.also i don't run rich on a SR with the walbro 255

cowbomb
05-20-2004, 08:37 AM
thx for the info fellas

gsracer
05-20-2004, 08:42 AM
STEP 1 close doors raise windoes and remove cover from gas tank all lines and pull old fuel pump out
STEP 2 light cigarette