PDA

View Full Version : tips on pulling out ka24de

crioten
05-16-2004, 10:39 PM
im looking for some tips on pulling out my ka on my 91...stuff like what to disconnect first, what is actually needed to be removed (the fsm is a little scarse on details) the tranny has already been removed, so thats not a problem

it says in the fsm to get some engine slings for when you are pulling it out, whats that about? also, where/how do i attach the hoist?

as of right now i have the radiator and dual electric fans removed, as well as a few of the front vaccum lines and mafs plug...also the intake has been removed of course :)

should i be really worried with labeling stuff? ive been making labels for most of the stuff..

thanks in advance
-glen

formeRiceR
05-17-2004, 01:13 AM
labels make life a lot more easier...

we ran chains thur the intake manifold and the ehaust manifold studs....worked like a charm... :)

duey
05-17-2004, 06:23 AM
don't forget to remove the heater hoses behind the motor (closer to the passenger side). I took my KA out yesterday and forgot completely about those hoses.

When it comes time to actually removing the motor make sure you have at least 1 other person helping you (just in case). Oh and don't do the same mistake i did, make sure you have your hoist setup with the chains so that when your pulling the motor out it'll be high enough to clear the radiator support, i neglected that minor detail and now my radiator support is a tad bit banged up.

nightwalker
05-17-2004, 09:19 AM
take off the hood.

drain the fluids.

disconnect the harness.

disconnect all hoses.

240KAT
05-17-2004, 09:49 AM
drain A/C and don't forget all the ground straps!

I forgot one of those straps and while i jacked the engine hoist..it started to pick the whole car up..those things are solid. When you put it all back in..it's easier (if you're in your garage with handtools and whatnot) to put the engine/trans back in together.

augimatic
05-17-2004, 10:16 AM
What are you guys gonna do with your KA motor after the swap, one shop I talked to said they were gonna keep it...I was like what the heck, what if I wanted to sell it, not that any one would want a motor with 124K on it.

Dream240
05-17-2004, 10:23 AM
What are you guys gonna do with your KA motor after the swap, one shop I talked to said they were gonna keep it...I was like what the heck, what if I wanted to sell it, not that any one would want a motor with 124K on it.

Hey, don't be so sure. Try to keep that sucker and sell it yourself. The shops going to make a killing on parting it out or selling it outright to a junk yard. Hell I'd buy it for 250.00.....if I had 250.00. :)

crioten
05-17-2004, 10:45 AM
well, im not really swapping it out...im taking it to a machiene shop so they can drill out the bolts that are in the crankshaft (they all got stripped off lol, long story)

thanks for all the advice, and ill have a few friends over...hopefully ill be able to get it pulled out by the end of today

but im still a little confused when it comes time to attach something to the engine to pull it out...when you said to run chains through the intake manifold, you mean just around the runners? and what about the exhaust side? please clear that up for me

i have the car on jackstands right now, so i was able to drain oil and coolant...is there any reason i still need it up in the air?

thanks again
-glen

duey
05-17-2004, 04:36 PM
but im still a little confused when it comes time to attach something to the engine to pull it out...when you said to run chains through the intake manifold, you mean just around the runners? and what about the exhaust side? please clear that up for me

thanks again
-glen

yeah what i used was an 11ft (1500lb limit) chain, looped it around the two outer runners on the intake mani. But on the exhaust side i removed my exhaust manifold and attatched the chain to the manifold studs (i suppose you can remove the heat shield and wrap the chain around the manifold too).

i'm by no means a pro at this, but my method worked for me :)

dannyca13
05-17-2004, 08:04 PM
i only used a 6 foot chain and still had more than enough. and on the exhaust side you can just loop it through the motor mount bracket. that is if you unbolt the manifold and drag the motor out past the manifold. Just run some bolts and nuts that wont slip through the chain links. good luck it worked on three of mine.

crioten
05-17-2004, 08:08 PM
ah ok, thanks guys...

still havent gotten everything disconnected yet, hopefully tomorrow it will get done