PDA

View Full Version : Coilover bolts

Igork15
09-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Im having a problem getting my coilover bolts off to put on my strut bar. One of the nuts wouldnt break loose for shit and when it did the whole bolt just went spinning with it haha, I looked in the wheel well and see it popped out so i hammered it back in and tried again and it just keeps popping out, I tried keeping in place with the hammer and as soon as I start turning it it just pops out. Do you guys have any idea how I can get this last nut off? Thanks

waxball88
09-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Cut it off or break the nut

jr_ss
09-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Yep, sounds like the nut is seized on the bolt. You'll have to cut it off and order a new stud from the company that makes those coils.

Igork15
09-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Yeah i jacked it up and tried tightening it the stud is totally stripped, looks like ill be ordering the new stud. Thanks.

thefro526
09-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Yeah i jacked it up and tried tightening it the stud is totally stripped, looks like ill be ordering the new stud. Thanks.

If you didn't/don't destroy the stud that stripped out while removing, you can measure that (or take it to a good hardware store and have them measure) and get replacements that are probably going to be better than the originals.

Just going by the pictures, the studs that they used look cheap (or the coils are REALLY old) and weren't properly protected from corrosion (which could have played a part in the failure). If you're getting replacements, look into finding an appropriately sized stud with a good coating - with Zinc Chromate being one of the best (yellow/gold zinc) and it's common on class 12.9 hardware (metric starndard similar to Grade 8).

Edit:

There's an outside chance that replacing the stud will not fix the problem. Once you get the stud out, measure the hole in the upper mount and compare it to the stud's knurl diameter. Since it's an steel stud into an aluminum plate, the stud could have opened up the hole in the aluminum before it's knurling actually failed - meaning that if you press a replacement stud in there of the same size, the failure could happen again. At this point, you'd need to either replace the top had (not that bad) or you'd have to drill out the holes in the top hat to run a stud with a larger knurl diameter. (Kind of tricky to drill out without proper tools.)

milto0n
09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Same thing happened to me last month. Ended up cutting it. Replaced it with a nut and bolt combo

Igork15
09-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Yeah I just cut it off and went with nut and bolt. Thanks for the replies.

om3ga
09-15-2013, 10:26 PM
If there is a bolt/nut you have not taken off, make sure to spray it with some Kroil beforehand and let it soak in to hopefully avoid issues like this. Glad you got it figured out!

DialedLife
09-15-2013, 11:30 PM
I didnt read the whole thread, so it may have already been suggested. But I would try grabbing the stud with vice grips and using a wrench

madelaile
09-16-2013, 07:40 AM
yeah i jacked it up and tried tightening it the stud is totally stripped, looks like ill be ordering the new stud.http://www.1678.us/ilove/images/24.gif