PDA

View Full Version : SR20DE + T ECU Problems

dyno808
09-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Hello all,

This is my first post on Zilvia forums so please excuse me if this is in the wrong place.

I recently acquired a Silvia S14 with a SR20DE engine + Turbo.

I was told that the car needed a new fuel pump as it would cut when accelerating. However when I took it to the mechanic, he told me that it wasn't the fuel pump as it was priming fine. He then suggested that it might be my spark plugs which were very worn OR that my ecu just wasn't fit for the car.

I don't know much about the cars history but my mechanic thinks that it has never been tuned so has never run properly. He suggested that I change my plugs first and if that doesn't help, I might need a new ECU + Tune.

My questions are:
1/ What kind of plugs would I need? The DET ones or the DE ones?
2/ Do I really need a new ECU? Can I get a second hand chipped one?
3/ If I do need a new ECU what kind will I need for the added turbo?
4/ Is it better just to get rid of the car?

Sorry for my noob questions, I haven't really been into cars that long and this is my first S-Chassis. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Cheers guys!

Machina
09-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Hey dude,

First things first. You need to find out more about your engine setup. What sort of turbo are you running, and at what boost? Also, your fuel injectors, and AFM.
Have these been upgraded from the factory SR20DE items?
A good start would be to find out from the previous owner whether or not the car has been tuned, and if so, who tuned it.
It sounds like it's been hacked together in someones backyard with little knowledge (typical in the NZ car scene).
If the car hasn't been tuned - if this is the case it will definitely require a tune.

1.) What kind of plugs would I need? The DET ones or the DE ones?

Get plugs suited for the DET, and gapped to DET specs. You could be suffering from spark blowout.

2.) Do I really need a new ECU? Can I get a second hand chipped one?

If the car hasn't been tuned, you will NEED a tune. You can't just run it on a DE ECU and factory map.
Your profile says you live in Auckland. Andy at X-Tune, (X-Tune.co.nz) has done quite a few DE + T tunes I believe. This is usually done using the factory ECU and chipping it.

3.) If I do need a new ECU what kind will I need for the added turbo?

Another option would be to get something like an Apexi - AFC NEO or GReddy Emanage. (Piggy back system) Either way you still require a tune.

4.) Is it better just to get rid of the car?

It might be. It depends what you want to do with it, and whether you feel confident/have enough cash to fix any issues that may arise. Even if it's just a daily driver/street car, it needs to be reliable. You mention this is your first S-Chassis. I don't want to be rude, but it sounds like you don't know much about cars in general. Buying someone elses half arsed project can be a real hassle to put right. Have the other aspects of the car been upgraded to suit the power? I'm assuming the conversion was done on a Silvia Q's, and it's still running single pot brakes, 4 stud, no lsd etc. It's better to have a good suspension and brake setup sorted before chasing more power.

If you want to learn how to actually drive (be it drift or grip) my advice would be to buy a basic non turbo S14, do some simple mods/maintenance (quality tyres, brake pads, and new fluids, maybe a LSD) and get some track experience. If you want to drift an LSD is a must, if you're more interested in grip racing then you don't need an LSD to get started. (Although it is beneficial)

This is the path I went down and it was a great introduction to RWD and car handling/track drving in general, without the added expense and hassle of running a turbo. It's really up to you.

dyno808
09-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Hey man,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it means a lot.

As you mentioned, I don't know that much about cars and I was hoping to start learning using this one. I see now that I should have started on something smaller...
The only reason I got this car was I went with my friend and I thought he knew a lot about cars. He told me that it was a factory DET engine and said it would be an investment to get it. Turns out he was wrong...:duh: not taking that friend again.....

I'm sure the turbo, exhaust and manifold is factory det, and I think that everything else is factory de.. There is also a aftermarket FPR and blow off valve.
Pretty sure the injectors are factory DE too.

Today I changed the plugs into BKR6E - 11 and it still has the same problem. The plugs that were inside the engine were pretty wasted..
I tried contacting the previous owner but he doesn't know much about the car either as he goes through a few cars a week and didn't own that one long.

I got the car to be my daily; no drifting/racing. The chassis is factory DE judging by the plate and is 4-stud with the smaller brakes. It is on adjusties and lowered with rear camber.

Anyways, I'll try calling up the place you mentioned and see how it works out from there. If it costs too much >1000NZD then I'll have to get rid of it..

Once again, thanks for your help. I'll try keep this thread updated on everything I do.

Dan