PDA

View Full Version : lights wont shut off.. please help

str33tpr3p
08-26-2013, 04:28 PM
hey guys im having a issue with the lighting on my car.. i just rebuild my downpipe so car was off the road for 3 weeks. i go to start it up it was dead which i expected so i charged it everything was fine went to start up later that night it was dead again. thats what i realized that my running tail lights arent shutting off, even when the car is off they are still running. i have to disconnect the battery every time so my car doesnt die. any clue what it might be? i honestly dont even know where to start.

PLEASE HELP

Mikester
08-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Check the switch under the brake pedal- could be toast.

jr_ss
08-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Either that or it's missing the piece of rubber/plastic that depresses the switch.

cotbu
08-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Trying to help you learn a lil!
You turn the lights on normally but they won't shut off normally, correct?
If that's the case then there is a short!
Start at the fuse or relay, work your way back to the switch or check each light (socket and wiiring) that stays on. It could be a simple pinched wire or completely frayed wire. Get to work soon, if it took you 3weeks for a down pipe, you could be at this for 2-3 months!
Tip: using a multimeter on wires that shouldn't see ground is a good place to start.

str33tpr3p
08-27-2013, 09:13 AM
Trying to help you learn a lil!
You turn the lights on normally but they won't shut off normally, correct?
If that's the case then there is a short!
Start at the fuse or relay, work your way back to the switch or check each light (socket and wiiring) that stays on. It could be a simple pinched wire or completely frayed wire. Get to work soon, if it took you 3weeks for a down pipe, you could be at this for 2-3 months!
Tip: using a multimeter on wires that shouldn't see ground is a good place to start.

haha well it only really took me 2 days to make the downpipe i just got lazy and didnt work on it. it had 37 pie cuts from the turbo all the way back to the exhaust. But i believe its what the others say to do with the bump stop. i took some time to research it a little seems like a pretty common problem so ill give that a try and get back to everyone.

cotbu
08-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Well the only way that the other guys could be right, is if you described your problem wrong!
The running lights are not controlled by the brake pedal switch! you could easily verify that by using your hand. I know the circuitry pretty well! And if you do fix it like that, well you probably do have wiring issue's that'll take you months to fix. good luck though!