PDA

View Full Version : Starter issues loud screach sr20det

bmxer882x
08-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Well after my clutch blew I put a spec lightweight steel flywheel on it. I forgot to measure the specs but it looked identical to my oem. And forgot to put the metal plate inbetween the motor and transmission. When I would start it up it would make this loud screeching sound anytime the starter motor was turning. I put the metal piece back in and the starter did the same thing. After a week or 2 the starter blew. Not just a normal going bad but the entire starter gear falls out of the starter housing with the pull of your fingers. So I ordered a isis replacement starter.

Where I'm at now. I've been trying to mess with the spacing and I'm up to 3/16 spacer and still makes the noise. I tried a 7/32 spacer same sound but less. Also after like 5 cranks it completely missed the flywheel once. My final attempt was up to 4/16 spacer and it starter normal twice with no sound, and then wouldn't start again just sat there and spun. I'm at a complete loss. I don't understand why I would need so many spacers to my starter its a pretty big gap. Would that allow the starter to torque and move side to side causing it not to be lined up correctly?

Any advice guys? I still think its with the shimming but my theory is I'm to far out for just using washers and I need an actual plate the same diameter as my starter so it cant torque or twist. But I also don't understand why I need to be so far out.

EDIT: Just relooked at the flywheels (spec still in car) noticed the backspacing between the teeth and where the clutch bolts on is different. The spec has a gap almost double that of the oem flywheel, would that cause a problem or is it ok/designed that way? As much as I don't want to do it I think I'm going to get the oem flywheel resurfaced and pull the trans a third time.

Only other useful info I can think of is my clutch disengages almost instantly off the floor. A flywheel shim would make that worse I think unless I'm thinking of the wrong way.

Mikester
08-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Dude,

BLUF: Lose the flywheel- It's not the correct on for your particular application.

Changing flywheels should not cause this issue. Fitment should be the same as OEM. Althought the metal plate between the motor & trans is important, it does not affect starter engagement to the flywheel- The tolerances are not that close here=) The flywheel you got is obviously not the correct one for your car and is beating the shit out of your starter(s).

As far as your immediate clutch disengagement issue goes, it sounds like the flywheel surface is 'too close' to the clutch plate; meaning that no matter how you adjust everything out, the clutch will always be in a state of semi-disengagement. Again, this is indicative of the wrong flywheel...