PDA

View Full Version : Uneven brake pad wear??

pkw1
05-11-2004, 01:48 AM
I have a S14 with ABS 5 lug. 2 yrs ago, I put on all 4 new brembo blank rotors, and project mu B-force pads on all 4 corners (300ZX 30mm front, stock rear), and flushed the whole system with SuperBlue brake fluids. 2 yrs later today, I've notice that the back brakes are making this squeeking sound when the car is running (sounds like brakes needs to be changed).... I was a bit confused that the pads don't last that long, but then again, I took another look at the fronts, they look like they still have at least 50% left on them.. So I thought that the rears will wear faster because of the 300ZX fronts (I thought it was strange that it does it, but wasn't sure)....

tonight I bought new pads for the back and started taking them apart... what I noticed that the driver rear has about 30-40% left while the passenger side is down to the metal (which makes the squeeling sound when rubbed against the rotors)...

why is that?? anyone experienced this?

idlafie
05-11-2004, 02:10 AM
I have a S14 with ABS 5 lug. 2 yrs ago, I put on all 4 new brembo blank rotors, and project mu B-force pads on all 4 corners (300ZX 30mm front, stock rear), and flushed the whole system with SuperBlue brake fluids. 2 yrs later today, I've notice that the back brakes are making this squeeking sound when the car is running (sounds like brakes needs to be changed).... I was a bit confused that the pads don't last that long, but then again, I took another look at the fronts, they look like they still have at least 50% left on them.. So I thought that the rears will wear faster because of the 300ZX fronts (I thought it was strange that it does it, but wasn't sure)....

tonight I bought new pads for the back and started taking them apart... what I noticed that the driver rear has about 30-40% left while the passenger side is down to the metal (which makes the squeeling sound when rubbed against the rotors)...

why is that?? anyone experienced this?

Yep!!...had the same problem myself lately. I upgraded to the Z32 26mm front calipers about 2 years ago too. Swapped all the brake pads to Axxiss Metal Masters, (front & rears). Just recently my rear brakes started to squeal. Pulled the pads & noticed that the INSIDE rear passenger pad faded a hell of a lot faster than the outer rear passenger pad. See attached photo...

Anyhow, after testing the slider pins for grease, (they had plenty), and checking for binding, (they werent), I was left totally clueless as to what caused the premature wear. Some people mentioned it could just be the pads, or air in the lines, or maybe a bad caliper, but no-one could come up with a definite answer...

Go figure eh??...

Anyhow, hope this helps..

ID
95 SE

WilloW
05-11-2004, 02:27 AM
I've got the same problem as you guys, the inside pads wears out faster than the outside pads (rear calipers). First time it was a seized caliper, this time it they look like idlafie's.

pkw1
05-12-2004, 02:23 AM
ah.. that picture was nothing... I'll post a picture of mine when I get it up...