PDA

View Full Version : Starter is dead (i think) where to buy new one?

mixxamike
05-10-2004, 02:34 PM
I've had this problem for a while now...my car occasonally will not start. When this happens, push starting it does the trick. I'm thinking my starter has a dead spot or isn't working properly. If I can avoid it, i would rather not buy a new starter from a dealership. If there is another way (online perhaps) I could buy the starter for less, I would love to know.

Also, does anyone know the part number for the starter (or the part you think I would need to replace to fix this problem?)

WilloW
05-10-2004, 05:48 PM
I got one from autozone for about $70. I'm asuming you have a KA.

ch1873857
05-10-2004, 07:49 PM
if you have the problem consistantly. or if it doesnt start up at all. beat the side of it with the end of a hammer. works great, it will hold you off till you get one just search for some stock nissan parts sites plenty.

VersionS13
05-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Check the junk yards. I got mine for $35.

mixxamike
05-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Autozone sells starters for KA's? I'm actually starting my summer job at a Mckay's/NAPA in one week, do you think they would carry one?

WilloW
05-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Autozone sells starters for KA's? I'm actually starting my summer job at a Mckay's/NAPA in one week, do you think they would carry one?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do, mine was a rebuilt unit. Oh yeah, that beating the starter tricks like ch1873857 suggested works pretty good most of the time. I did the same thing on my friend's Cutlass.

ProjectSlideways
05-10-2004, 08:59 PM
Just do what ch1873857 said and tap test it. I know it sucks but it will work.

idlafie
05-11-2004, 01:57 AM
I've had this problem for a while now...my car occasonally will not start. When this happens, push starting it does the trick. I'm thinking my starter has a dead spot or isn't working properly. If I can avoid it, i would rather not buy a new starter from a dealership. If there is another way (online perhaps) I could buy the starter for less, I would love to know.

Also, does anyone know the part number for the starter (or the part you think I would need to replace to fix this problem?)

What year is your car again??

For a rebuilt Nissan starter, part numbers are as follows:
For 89-90 part number is 23300-30R01R
For 91-98 part number is 23300-53F11R

You might want to try contacting Courtesy Nissan in Texas & see if they will give you the 20% discount for Nissan 240SX owners. Their website address is: http://www.courtesyparts.com/

HOWEVER, before you go assuming it's your starter that's giving you all your trouble, have you taken the starter to your local auto parts store & had the starter checked? If not, then you might want to

And if the starter turns out to be okay, is possible that your relays or ignition switch could have gone bad. Have you tried checking your relays ALONG with your ignition switch?? Just because your ignition switch still turns doesn't mean that the START position on your ignition switch still works..there may be a short in the switch causing your Start problem.

.I had the same type of problem a while back on my car that you are having now - the car would start intermittently or would not start at all. After swapping out my starter, clutch interlock relays, and my clutch interlock safety switch, and NOT solving my Starting problems, I finally realized my problem was the ignition switch. After I replaced the Ignition switch all my Starting problems went away. If I would have known it was my ignition switch that had gone bad, and NOT my starter, I would have saved a shitload of money along with a lot of my time. Now I know better...

Anyhow, hope this helps:

ID
95 SE
:bash: :bash: :bash:

PS:
Almost forgot, you can test the Ignition switch by removing the plastic cover that goes over the steering column assembly. The switch assembly is located on the opposite side of the steering column where you insert the key into the ignition switch. Use a voltmeter to measure the current going thru the switch contact positions on the back of the assembly as you go from the OFF position to ON position to START position on your ignition switch. Everything should be 12 volts as you go thru the positions. You might be able to get the switch assembly by itself without replacing the entire ignition switch. Unscrew the two brass screws that hold the plastic assembly to the ignition switch itself. Take the switch assembly to your local auto parts store & ask them if they carry it. I think they might. If not, then you're gonna have to buy the entire ignition switch from a dealer. Part number for a 95 ignition switch is 48700-73F25. Not sure if it's gonna apply to you though...don't know what model year your car is.

mixxamike
05-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Idlafie...thank you so much, that was really helpful. Ignition switch is getting tested the moment I get home from school!

WDS13
05-11-2004, 02:41 PM
so what happens when an SR starter goes bad?