PDA

View Full Version : Cusco upper arms question (camber)

Lenagh
05-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Hi,

My first post :)

This is probably a daft question but I thought it was better to sound silly by risking asking a stupid question than "look" silly by ruining 1200 quids worth of suspension by guessing :)

I recently installed tein flex coilovers on my s14a and as we all know the camber needs to be corrected. Rather than muck about with any inbetween solutions I have gone the whole hog and plumbed for cusco upper arms to correct the camber

Couple of problems however....

The instructions I have are not in english, I know what has to be replaced but I am unsure as to how to set the telescopic bolts. Which bolt should be extended and by how much during fitting ?

My plan was to take the existing standard arms length as a guide then adjust the cusco one to match this before fitting. Again I just wondered which part of the bolt you are meant to extend. The thicker part the thinner part or both my equal amounts.

Finally does anyone have torque settings for all the bolts I have a workshop manual and that details the standard Nm ratings for each bolt. However this is for a standard arm and I don't know if those settings apply to the cusco unit in the same way.

Of course someone might just point me to the english version of the instructions however :D

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Lenagh
05-08-2004, 03:26 AM
No-one had experience fitting these ? :)

TheSparo
05-08-2004, 09:06 AM
it seems like you just need to go get an alignment and have the shop do it the way you want...

Heartwork
05-08-2004, 01:33 PM
it seems like you just need to go get an alignment and have the shop do it the way you want...

most alignment shops wouldnt even know how to adjust these either....
most race shops will align it properly by adjusting the arms, then set it on the rack...

i have them and always forget which bolt is supposed to be spun...if i remember correctly the arm has to be off the car, then lock the two nuts pointing to the middle of the car, and adjust the nut closes to the outside of the car

CleanS14
05-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Actually Heartwork is partially right... to fully adjust the RUCA you will need it off the car. But most use it to lengthen the UCA. This will give you more adjustablilty from the bolt that attaches the arm to the subframe. The range of adjustment will just be different since you have now lengthened the arm. So all you'd have to do is adjust/lengthen once off of the car and then lock with the bolts. Then bring it to an alignement shop and they can adjust your camber appropriately. Be sure your adjustment is accurate though.

Yeah and most alignment shops have no idea how to play with these... you gotta hit up a race shop or race alignment shop like www.customalignment.com since you're in the UK i don't know what is comparable to them.

sykikchimp
05-08-2004, 09:20 PM
here's a clue.. hold both the arm, and the heim joint so they don't spin. Now turn the middle nut. They two bolts will extend at the same rate.

So screw them both all the way in, and then extend them with the above method until they are the same length as your stock arms.

Now install them. To adjust camber while on the car, simply turn the middle nut the appropriate direction to lengthen or shorten the arm. Any alignment shop should know how to handle them. It's VERY simple.