PDA

View Full Version : Dakota Digital Shenanigans

wutangben
07-25-2013, 07:23 PM
Before I dive into trying to figure out what's going on with this thing, I figured I'd post up here in case you guys had experience/advice.

Did a Z33 trans swap, and swapped diffs as well to a J30 with ABS sensor so I could still have speedo. (z33 trans doesn't have a VSS) So the guys who installed the trans wired up the Dakota Digital SGI-5 unit that you need that translates the readings from the ABS sensor, to MPH for the gauge cluster.

Then you have some up and down arrows to calibrate it.

I never had much luck with the calibration, it just seems to act like this:

Dakota Digital nonsense - YouTube (http://youtu.be/YfYwUMceRXE)

This is me cruising at a relatively consistent speed.

Any ideas on what is wrong? Wiring? Setup? Calibration? Sensor in the diff?

Thanks

Mikester
07-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Send a PM to jr_ss asking him to give this topic a look. He uses the DD in his car & may likely be able to help you solve this.

jr_ss
07-25-2013, 07:52 PM
How do you have the system grounded? Have you looked at the wiring the shop did? I cannot remember how the VSS is installed in the diff. Is it held in by a bolt? Does it have a ground?

It almost seems like the signal is getting interruption or interference. Try adding a ground to the diff case to the chassis and verify the DD is grounded good inside the cab.

Can you get me some pictures of the splice into the speed signal wire that feeds the DD and ultimately gets converted?

wutangben
07-26-2013, 11:15 AM
let me see what i can figure out, and report back.

thanks