PDA

View Full Version : Is this 14 a bad buy? rod bearings gone bad

DKnissanman
07-19-2013, 02:47 PM
It looks clean other wise, but again im not sure...Would this be way to much to fix?

1997 Nissan 240sx kouki (http://clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/3886597730.html)

enderr
07-19-2013, 02:48 PM
buy it as a rolling shell everything except the motorset

coupesallday!
07-19-2013, 03:00 PM
What he said^^^ I love that green too I'd jump on it

DKnissanman
07-19-2013, 03:01 PM
if i need a dd though...would i just need to order a new sr20det? then pay to get it installed? Would that cost 3k? or less?>

Rustys14
07-19-2013, 04:42 PM
if i need a dd though...would i just need to order a new sr20det? then pay to get it installed? Would that cost 3k? or less?>

His price for the rolling shell is decent but based on the questions you are asking my advise would be to stay away from a project like that.

A shop will charge you way more then you would think to put the motor in for you and it is probably going to take them a lot longer then you expect to do the swap as well. On top of that, I have seen and fixed some pretty shoddy work done to cars by supposedly reputable shops. You're getting yourself into a major money pit that has the potential to never run right.

If you insist on getting that car my, recommendation would be to buy the rolling shell and slowly work on it yourself as a project. Put the 3k you plan on giving the shop toward a reliable daily (read Honda or Toyota) then buy a sr or ka and swap it in yourself. Its fairly easy to do and doing things this way will save you a ton of money while giving you the satisfaction of building your own car. You'll also learn a ton in the process, just my :2c:

Kingtal0n
07-19-2013, 09:37 PM
wow 3000 for a shell? if that was local I would pick it up tonight. I mean right now.

Of course, I would inspect the frame rails. check for rust. check the carfax. look for signs that body panels have been removed or replaced and repainted. Accidents. etc...

Tom N
07-19-2013, 10:08 PM
I would jump on that shell if I didnt already have a Kouki.

paintkilz
07-19-2013, 10:36 PM
have to love the PS res ziptied to itself and most of the PCV not hooked up...

aznnoodleboi
07-19-2013, 10:42 PM
wow 3000 for a shell? if that was local I would pick it up tonight. I mean right now.

I thought the same thing lol

dawagarage
07-20-2013, 12:03 AM
my thoughts pretty much echo everyone else's.
3 grand for a trashed motor isnt worth it TO ME.
it sounds as if the seller is making the call without even cracking open the engine. you cant do that. but yeah 3 grand for what looks like a good shell is pretty good.

to nit pick, blue anodized is not a color.

powermymotor
07-28-2013, 03:44 PM
that is clean wire harness

codyace
07-28-2013, 09:01 PM
People are payin 6k for wooped koukis...I'd say it's a good buy. get another SR and part that one out.

HazeBlazer
07-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Okay, I just went exactly through this except I wasn't told rod bearings and main bearings including piston rings were gone on mine. If he's telling you about the rod bearings going away, then it looks like he's an honest seller. Honesty is priceless.

You should buy the rolling shell for 3 gran provided the only things gone are the sr20det and even tranny at most. Then, buy a good sr motorset from the forums or wherever for a good deal and put it in there. If you do things right, you might come away with a steal.

I went the rebuild route, and as each day and the dollars pass, I wish more and more I never went the rebuild route, and you shouldn't unless you can do the work yourself, which I doubt if you're posting this thread. It would have saved me so much more time and money if I picked up an already built sr from here.

Thedriftbadger
07-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Rod bearings aren't difficult to do. You don't even have to touch half the motor. Pull the crank out and get it checked. Make sure the rod ends are within specs and pop some new bearings in there. You'd probably want to do main bearings too while you're in there. No need to buy a new engine.
Offer him $5000.

Anyone else notice the corolla just sitting on the ground? hahaha

Allwayssideways
08-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Id buy it thats a pretty clean Kouki for the price

DiceDealer
08-05-2013, 12:23 PM
aww, I looks just like mine did (w/ a KA and minus the blue wheels) when I first bought it! kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

DiceDealer
08-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Rod bearings aren't difficult to do. You don't even have to touch half the motor. Pull the crank out and get it checked. Make sure the rod ends are within specs and pop some new bearings in there. You'd probably want to do main bearings too while you're in there. No need to buy a new engine.
Offer him $5000.

Anyone else notice the corolla just sitting on the ground? hahaha

LOL, no joke. it is str8 SITTING on the ground with no wheels!

billyblaze
08-05-2013, 01:18 PM
If this was local I would of bought it as a shell

Then just find a low mileage motor sets that are everywhere

6k for a 240sx with a blown engine makes no sense probably cost a few grand to fix

HazeBlazer
08-05-2013, 01:43 PM

6k for a 240sx with a blown engine makes no sense probably cost a few grand to fix

Thank you, my point exactly. There's a reason the bearings went bad, and it's a very high chance popping new bearings without a rebuild will just ruin it again soon...

Kingtal0n
08-05-2013, 01:55 PM

A complete KA engine can be sourced for under $500 with transmission. Not a hard thing to do or repair, these cars.
I found a 98 KA24DE with 98,000 miles for $350 recently with automatic transmission. I didnt even buy it because I already have a few.