PDA

View Full Version : engine/tranny lag

TheNooB
07-17-2013, 07:03 PM
just randomly last week my engine and tranny lag hard and i have no idea what could be causing it to work so bad. accelerating is a bitch its as if the car is being held back by some greater force.. the harder i press the gas the worst the acceleration. also i have to do an oil change just now but i dont think the oil would mess up performance like this. its auto btw and it takes super long for the car to go into 3rd gear but when it does i get alot of torque at once but still accelerates really slow its a ka24de one last thing ive been using a kill switch to start my car probably for two months now but beside that the car runs fine im just gettin exrta knocking sound which i believe are comin from the upper timing chain please help its my dd:smash:

bova17
07-17-2013, 07:24 PM
ac on? lol thats my problem

AsleepAltima
07-17-2013, 07:34 PM
thats usually the first sign of a torque converter going out.

bova17
07-17-2013, 07:37 PM
^that too, you should just swap it. its easy if you have a few friends.

WOTandSDWYS
07-17-2013, 07:42 PM
How does it act when you come to a full stop? Is it idling low or maybe feel like it's wanting to stall? And on acceleration is it bucking at all? If you're getting a rough acceleration, then possibly a tune up could help, but the entire problem could be with the transmission too. And since the fuel lines are easy to take off on these engines, a fuel pressure test would take no time if you have a gauge. That would, while not completely eliminating any engine issues, point to it being all in the trans. Let us know bud.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TheNooB
07-17-2013, 08:13 PM
@ bova17 the day the problem started I was using the ac a lot but now even when it's off it's doing it..

How much is a torque converter and how hard is it to put on?? Tune up happening very soon too.

The car doesn't buck like idle wise car is fine slowing down the cars fine

AsleepAltima
07-17-2013, 08:22 PM
whats the trans oil smell and look like? it should be a brightish red. if it smells burnt or is brown, it might be on its way out. tq converters are not very expensive, but if they came apart and the pieces made it into the trans - the trans could be done, too. best thing to do is check the color/condition of the trans oil and maybe pull the pan to see if theres an excessive amount of wear particles in it.

TheNooB
07-17-2013, 08:24 PM
Ok perfect ill check it in the morning thanks so much guys god bless

TheNooB
07-18-2013, 09:03 PM
So it turns out it really only happened when my AC is on. what's the actual problem?

Perfect Balance
07-18-2013, 09:12 PM
You drive a slow car and the a/c makes it even slower because of the added strain on the engine. Normal operation.

WOTandSDWYS
07-18-2013, 09:16 PM
When the ac compressor cycles on, it is actually a physical load that's put on the engine. If the compressor itself if starting to go out, like it's starting to seize, then it will be a much bigger load than normal on the engine, it will slow everything way down. Also, the ecu is supposed to compensate for the load and raise the rpm when it's cycled on, but possibly that is only for it to idle properly. See that your compressor clutch is cycling like normal and not staying on full time. If so, then you know it's getting good signal to the ac clutch/compressor. Sounds like you will need a new compressor off the top of my head. If so, replace that and the receiver dryer since you are opening the system. Or just remove it all and go hard to the pavement. :)

TheNooB
07-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Thanks so much guys god bless

bova17
07-19-2013, 07:34 AM
ac button=powa, lol

TheNooB
07-20-2013, 07:28 PM
At first my engine /maf was only lagging when my a/c was on, its been driving fine while it was off now today I was driving to work and out of nowhere the dam lag kicked in way harder than before. Now my car won't do more than 5km/h and has ZERO acceleration when I mash the gas but the car rolls when I have it in drive PLEASE HELP its the DD!! '95 s14 A/T Ka24de

AsleepAltima
07-20-2013, 09:01 PM
theres no way the a/c was doing that unless the clutch is freezing. have you looked at the a/c compressor to see if its spinning freely?

TheNooB
07-20-2013, 09:11 PM
No but I'm pretty sure it is cuz through all this the a/c working fine
I cannot drive the car at all there is ZERO acceleration I'm stuck at the gas station

AsleepAltima
07-20-2013, 09:24 PM
do you have any tools with you? with the engine off and key off, try to turn the belts by hand...
wait a minute - hows it idling?

TheNooB
07-20-2013, 11:26 PM
It idles a lil lower than normal and the car shakes a lil more than usual , might it be a vac leak somewhere ? I have a feeling it might be that or a problem with the o2 sensor I'm gonna put the stock sensor on my maf tmr after work but let me know what u guys think yall are the experts I'm not gettin car exp lol

idlafie
07-21-2013, 02:11 AM
Troubleshooting 101....start with the basics... Do you see a CHECK ENGINE light on your dashboard when the motor is running & the engine is bogging down? Does your O/D (Overdrive) light on your dashboard flash on & off when you start the car?? Before you start replacing parts on your car, run a few simple tests. If you think you have an A/C clutch problem bogging down the motor, disconnect/remove the A/C belt from the pulley. If the motor runs good, then your problem is your A/C compressor...the clutch on it "froze up"...time for a new/used compressor. You can find a good "used" one here on Zilvia....go to the Marketplace section here...

If your car is bogging & has no power when you step on the gas, check for a vacuum leak. Pop the hood & start the motor. Listen for a HISSING sound...the source of your vacuum leak. Fix or replace what needs to be repaired.

IDEALLY, it's best to use the Engine Control Unit, (ECU) & the on-board diagnostic mode to point you in the direction of figuring out the problem & correcting it. Use the SEARCH function here on Zilvia to download a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL, (FSM), for your model year 240SX. Use and follow the procedures listed in the FSM to help figure out & solve the problem,(s) you are currently having with your car.

And if you get stuck with something, feel free to ask... We were all there once ourselves...

Hope this helps...

ID

AsleepAltima
07-21-2013, 03:57 AM
with the engine off and key off, try to turn the belts by hand...http://erjie.smokemaps.com/16.jpg

I learned a long time ago, to not take for granted someone's experience with wrenching. And yes, you can move the belts by hand.

TheNooB
07-21-2013, 04:19 AM
Yall r talkin about the rubber belt behind the fan??

AsleepAltima
07-21-2013, 12:04 PM
yes, the belts behind the fan. im just curious to see how easy the belts move because of the a/c compressor clutch. fyi, the o2 sensor wont cause this problem so dont mess with it if you dont have to.

TheNooB
07-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Ok what if the belt moves freely with car and power off is that a good thing? I'm about to go back to my car right now
How do I check for a vacum leak?

AsleepAltima
07-21-2013, 03:06 PM
if the belts move freely, then at least you know that the compressor clutch isnt sticking. not 100% guarantee but a pretty good chance. im still leaning towards torque converter. have you checked the trans fluid yet?

TheNooB
07-21-2013, 03:12 PM
No I haven't I just got to my car now is the trans fluid the yello w handle??

AsleepAltima
07-21-2013, 03:16 PM
i dont know on an auto 240... never had one, but if its down by the trans, towards the rear of the engine, then ill say yes

TheNooB
07-21-2013, 05:28 PM
The top belt isn't movin when the car is off and I can't get it off the grooves a guy stopped to help me and he said its prolly my transmission

WOTandSDWYS
07-21-2013, 05:49 PM
It's time for the car to go to an auto technician who can diagnose the problem.