PDA

View Full Version : How do I install Gear Oil?

FriknAndre
07-09-2013, 08:54 PM
I recently changed the clutch on my first car the s13 and put it back together for the first time, can I put the gear oil in from where the shifter is by removing the shifter plate and pour it in the small hole, or around that? I know this is a noobie question, but what can I say? I am... Help a kid out. Thanks. (p.s. I checked online and it just gave me a bunch of tranny swaps and short shifters, nothing specific on what I wanted to know!)

xoxide
07-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes, that will work just fine.

FriknAndre
07-09-2013, 08:58 PM
But I mean does the oil go in the hole that the shifter goes in or around that?

xoxide
07-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Yes, you can just do it that way but it takes forever, or you can just unbolt your shifter and pour it into the tranny which is a lot quicker haha.

FriknAndre
07-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Thank you.

fliprayzin240sx
07-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Kicker is its hard to gauge exactly how much oil you have in there. I usually just go pour a full 3 qts in there.

Mikester
07-10-2013, 06:27 AM
I get sick of removing my shifter, and I'm scared of spilling gear oil in my interior so I service mine from underneath.

There is a fill port on the left side of the tranny. Unscrews with a 19mm wrench. I use an aspirator to pump the gear oil up into it. Pretty simple- just pump oil into it until it starts to drip out... using this method, you know you have the correct amount in there (assuming car is level).

If you don't have a lift, pouring in at the shifter hole is way easier.

jr_ss
07-10-2013, 08:15 AM
You can also run a piece of tubing from the fill hole, up the side of the trans and up into the engine bay. Put a funnel on it an viola! Easy access for filling it.

I typically drill a hole in the cap, shove a piece of large I.D. tubing into it and drill another hole that I use to fill it with a compressor. This pushes all fluid up and out of the hose into your transmission.

FriknAndre
07-10-2013, 06:11 PM
thanks again everyone :)

FriknAndre
07-10-2013, 06:18 PM
I recently just put back together the shifter from where I put the oil in from, and now im trying to bleed my clutch. I looked everywhere online and didnt get anything i was looking for :/ My clutch is flat on the floor and when i pop it back up and press it in it doesnt go back up :P How am I supposed to pump it?? Am i just supposed to do that over n over again? And is it the slave cylinder to the transmission that im messing with??? because thats what it looked like in the videos... >x[

xoxide
07-10-2013, 07:15 PM
You need 2 people to bleed the clutch, one under the car opening/closing the bleeder valve, and one pumping the clutch. When theres a lot of air in it like you have now, it will stick like it is... You can just pump it with your hand. After a couple of pumps/opening the bleeder valve, you will start to get pressure and be able to use your foot to pump instead.

Napoleon-S13
07-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I get sick of removing my shifter, and I'm scared of spilling gear oil in my interior so I service mine from underneath.
This. Spilling gear oil will end any chance of pleasant aroma occupying your car.

FriknAndre
07-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks alot guys youve been alot of help. And where under the car is the bleeder valve located? Is it the slave cylinder on the tranny? :P

SuperBlackS14
07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Slave Cylinder... Right above the where the clutch line goes into the slave cylinder... Which is bolted to the side of your transmission with 2 14mm bolts.

FYI the bleeder screw is 8MM. I suggest a box ended wrench. Also make sure you run a line (rubber or plastic) from the bleeder into a "catch" can, coffee can, whatever so you don't have clutch/brake fluid everywhere.

Also, figured this goes without saying, but just in case you don't know, you can't reuse hydraulic fluid (brake/clutch fluid) after it's been through the system. Just don't do it.