PDA

View Full Version : Question for D2 Coilover owners.

BuudWeizErr
05-04-2004, 11:33 AM
I have a question about the D2 coilovers for S13 that I bought and would like to hear from other people who have them. I have the fronts lowered to where I want them, but the rears... they seem to have bottomed out and the ride is very high. There is at least a half inch from the top of my tire (205/55/16 on S14 SE's) to the bottom of my rear fender and this is with -1 degree of camber in the back. I took the rears off, undid the lowest 'perch' and screwed the lower casing up as far as I could. And thats as low as I could get the rears. Am I doing something wrong?I thought they were supposed to go from 0-4" height drop. But the rears are only 1" or so below normal.

Anybody have any ideas/experience?

I know AceInHole has these, think you could help me out?

DuffMan
05-04-2004, 01:03 PM
You could decrease the preload on the springs, by lowering the spring perch. There isnt much point to having preload in the back imo, just enough to keep the spring in place.

BuudWeizErr
05-04-2004, 03:47 PM
You're kidding me.

So when I jack the car up, the springs won't even be held in place by the upper and lower perches?

Is it like this on most coilovers or just these?

DuffMan
05-04-2004, 04:06 PM
No I said just enough to keep the spring in place. If it still isnt low enough at that point, you would need shorter springs or helper springs.

I know my tein HE can lower enough tuck the rear tire way in the fender before it runs out of adjustability.

Dustbunnie
05-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Uh..mine were preset, both front and back, when I got them, I'm not tucking but I have no fender gap with 225/40/17's, I never touched the rears and they look like they could go another 1.5" if not more

BuudWeizErr
05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Uh..mine were preset, both front and back, when I got them, I'm not tucking but I have no fender gap with 225/40/17's, I never touched the rears and they look like they could go another 1.5" if not more

Do you have any spring preload on them? Like, is the spring set between the perches even when you have the rear end jacked up? Or were you able to do that with the lower mount?

TheTimanator
05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
I searched around earlier today but couldn't find anything. The groupbuy on these is over correct? It'd probably be another month before I could afford them anyway. Be a lot nicer than the sportlines and blown shock combo I'm about to install :ugh:

Dousan_PG
05-04-2004, 10:00 PM
damn those coilovers suck ryan
haha
that blows
hmmm

Powashiftin
05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
aceinholes car looks pretty low to me. Maybe its the s13 coilovers that have problems ... talk to mark about it, if thats who you got them from

msaskin
05-04-2004, 10:17 PM
aceinholes car looks pretty low to me. Maybe its the s13 coilovers that have problems ... talk to mark about it, if thats who you got them from

My car is set a bit below stock height (maybe 1" lower right now) and i've still got plenty of room to dump the car lower.

Also my buddy brad's car (unfrgivn on the forum) is definitely down at least 2" from stock with some room to go still.

~matt

Dustbunnie
05-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Do you have any spring preload on them? Like, is the spring set between the perches even when you have the rear end jacked up? Or were you able to do that with the lower mount?

I know there was enough preload to keep the springs in place, but I can't remember how much there was or anything like that...it's however they came from the D2 sweatshop, they went straight from the box to the car without dicking with any adjustment

sykikchimp
05-05-2004, 08:26 AM
you probably just need to lower the spring perch. It's really not that big of a deal.

BuudWeizErr
05-05-2004, 10:31 AM
damn those coilovers suck ryan
haha
that blows
hmmm

Nah, they aren't bad at all. It's just the rear height adjustability is kinda sketchy.

you probably just need to lower the spring perch. It's really not that big of a deal.

Like I said. If I lower the bottom spring perch, it has nothing to rest on up top and when I raise and lower the car, I will have to guide the spring onto the top mount.

I need to take these things off again and have a look at them.

Uniac
05-05-2004, 11:25 AM
i dunno man, i know a handful of people with these and nobody has had any problems like you. Only problem anyone had was the ABS getting screwed up because the way they installed the fronts.

aznpoopy
05-05-2004, 02:50 PM
i dunno man, i know a handful of people with these and nobody has had any problems like you. Only problem anyone had was the ABS getting screwed up because the way they installed the fronts.

actually i've heard of this problem coming up. the s14 rears end up being way too low or something. i believe i read it on nico. someone else had an issue with the rears being way low; but they managed to work around it. i don't remember exactly what was wrong or what they did. try searching for it on nico; it should come up. keep us updated budw.

Var
05-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Nah, they aren't bad at all. It's just the rear height adjustability is kinda sketchy.

Like I said. If I lower the bottom spring perch, it has nothing to rest on up top and when I raise and lower the car, I will have to guide the spring onto the top mount.

I need to take these things off again and have a look at them.

So they're just like my ground controls...i dont guide them. when you lower the car they pop into place BANNNGGG.. haha.

So what's the advantage of having preload on the springs for handling?

sykikchimp
05-05-2004, 08:55 PM
So they're just like my ground controls...i dont guide them. when you lower the car they pop into place BANNNGGG.. haha.

So what's the advantage of having preload on the springs for handling?

Preloading the springs at full droop does a few things.
1. changes ride height
2. Extends compression travel of shock
3. allows for adjustment of shock piston location within the shockto ensure you have maximum shock travel available

You can really just ignore the last 2 b/c any coilover manufacturer would have already made sure they set this up correctly by selecting the proper spring length and rate for the car. If you get different spring rates, then you may need to change it, but only if you make dramatic changes.

The only situation where preloading the springs would have an affect on how the car actually handled (outside of ride height changes moveing weights, and CG) would be if you used progressive rate springs, and preloaded them beyond the weight of the specific corner of the car where it was used. This would cause an increase in initial spring rate.

CoasTek240
05-05-2004, 09:16 PM
easily fixed with a welder. :)