PDA

View Full Version : Wobbling wheels

xXKoukiXx
07-04-2013, 04:56 PM
While driving, I noticed that my wheels were very wobbly. When I got home, I found out that all of the lug nuts were very loose. I guess I put too much oil to lube the rusty lugs....

Could I have loosened up some suspension parts due to driving with loose wheels?

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks

95sx
07-04-2013, 05:12 PM
lift up the car and wiggle the wheel if the wheel is still moving but the suspension is solid then your lug studs/lug nuts are jacked which from the video is what I am seeing.

xXKoukiXx
07-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the response. When the car is jacked up, the wheel does not wiggle.

95sx
07-04-2013, 05:22 PM
spin it and see if maybe the wheel is bent

xXKoukiXx
07-04-2013, 05:29 PM
spin it and see if maybe the wheel is bent

I don't think they're bent..

Abc916
07-04-2013, 05:53 PM
yeah bro, I think you should check your rotor and thread on the studs. you might find the problem there. because obviously you can ride around but not too fast. one of my buddies once rode around in his s13 hatch with three lugs only on the rear right tire because one stud was broken, then shortly after driving on the free way it started to shake real bad. so I say just take the wheel off and take a good look at it. also don't over tighten your lugs.

xXKoukiXx
07-04-2013, 05:56 PM
yeah bro, I think you should check your rotor and thread on the studs. you might find the problem there. because obviously you can ride around but not too fast. one of my buddies once rode around in his s13 hatch with three lugs only on the rear right tire because one stud was broken, then shortly after driving on the free way it started to shake real bad. so I say just take the wheel off and take a good look at it. also don't over tighten your lugs.

Thanks for the reply. The threads are a little messed up since they are super old and rusty but when I shake the wheel, while the car is jacked up, the wheels do not move so I do not think the threads on the studs are the issue...

But I do remember that when I was installing the wheels, one of the rear rotors was a little loose even though the e-brake was engaged....

fliprayzin240sx
07-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Did you torque the lugs down? What wheels are they? If you look on the hub, there a hubcentric ring in the middle, sometimes some wheels doesnt fit around it so it wont sit flush to the hub. That could be your issue.

xXKoukiXx
07-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Did you torque the lugs down? What wheels are they? If you look on the hub, there a hubcentric ring in the middle, sometimes some wheels doesnt fit around it so it wont sit flush to the hub. That could be your issue.

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a torque wrench. I'm just bolting down the lug nuts until they won't turn anymore.

The wheels are SSR Professor SP1s. I think the bore sizes are compatible as I see many S13s with these wheels.

eg:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/bitch407/_MG_9760.jpg

fliprayzin240sx
07-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. I do not have a torque wrench. I'm just bolting down the lug nuts until they won't turn anymore.

Wont turn anymore? The hell you using to torque it down? Atleast get a 4 way to tighten up the lugs. I dont think you're torquing it down enough.

xXKoukiXx
07-04-2013, 09:21 PM
I was using a 4 way wrench. If anything, I over torqued them.

I'm gonna put my old wheels back on to see if there is still a wobble....

ghoti
07-04-2013, 09:29 PM
I was using a 4 way wrench. If anything, I over torqued them.

I'm gonna put my old wheels back on to see if there is still a wobble....

Maybe you snapped some wheel studs?

Dustxking
07-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Over torquing a lug nut can do just as much damage. Do yourself a favor go to the hardware store and get a torque wrench. For the love of god do not get one at harbor freight.

What you need to do is take the wheels that where "wobbling" turn the wheel around to where you can see the backside of the wheel hub and inspect the lug holes. Make sure they are perfectly round. You might have caused the lug holes to become egg shapped which can cause a wheel to come off or crack in some points.

Reference picture (this is not my picture just found it on google)
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac201/Pathak1/g37%20rims/photo4.jpg

Dustxking
07-04-2013, 09:47 PM

+1 for the hub ring issue also. Where did the wheels come from? Brand new order for a nissan hub bore? Or did you buy them used?

xXKoukiXx
07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
+1 for the hub ring issue also. Where did the wheels come from? Brand new order for a nissan hub bore? Or did you buy them used?

You guys were right! The hub centric rings on the wheels were too small. How can I remove these? hammer and screw driver?

Corbic
07-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Put the wheel on. Jack the car up. Wiggle the wheel. Look at that brake rotor when you wiggle. If the rotor wiggles as well, you trashed the bearings because you didn't torque the wheel properly. This let the wheel wobble, pulling on the bearings... now you fixed the wheel, but the bearings are still trashed.

xXKoukiXx
07-06-2013, 01:09 AM
^^^Thanks for the reply.

I figured it out. The wheels have hub rings on them that are too small.

Below is a picture of one of my wheels, as you can see, there is a small hub centric ring. How do I take them off? Hammer and screw driver? Are these typically glued/melted on the wheel?

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/829/k5ny.jpg

Here is the same kind of wheel without the ring for comparative purposes:

http://static.wheelflip.com/cache%2Fphotos%2F887Z0e26670072%2Flisting_59_2_1_l arge.jpg

Thanks

Corbic
07-06-2013, 08:39 AM
^^^Thanks for the reply.

I figured it out. The wheels have hub rings on them that are too small.

Below is a picture of one of my wheels, as you can see, there is a small hub centric ring. How do I take them off? Hammer and screw driver? Are these typically glued/melted on the wheel?

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/829/k5ny.jpg

Here is the same kind of wheel without the ring for comparative purposes:

http://static.wheelflip.com/cache%2Fphotos%2F887Z0e26670072%2Flisting_59_2_1_l arge.jpg

Thanks

Yeah, thin screw driver and pry. You shouldn't need a hammer.

MidwestMyriad
07-06-2013, 08:51 AM
If you aren't sure on how to remove a hub-centric ring, please be careful working on anything else on your car.

xXKoukiXx
07-06-2013, 09:53 AM
If you aren't sure on how to remove a hub-centric ring, please be careful working on anything else on your car.

I just want to make sure I don't damage these super expensive wheels, but thanks for the advice...

Wookie384
07-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Check your studs AND lugs thoroughly when you put your wheels back on. A buddy of mine did something similar when he borrowed my wheels and damaged his studs and lugs.

xXKoukiXx
07-06-2013, 01:06 PM
^Alright, will do.

fliprayzin240sx
07-06-2013, 09:23 PM
If for some reason you cant take the hub centric ring out of the wheels, you can always run 3mm spacers to push the wheels out and not on the hub ring.

xXKoukiXx
07-06-2013, 10:07 PM
If for some reason you cant take the hub centric ring out of the wheels, you can always run 3mm spacers to push the wheels out and not on the hub ring.

I got the rings off but thanks.

Hashiriya415
07-06-2013, 11:18 PM
I haven't read through the whole page, but NEVER use oil on wheel bolts/nuts.
Clean and dry them. If you oil them, you create 2 problems:
one, torque wrench is no longer corresponding with the service manual specs for dry torque value. When wet, they will tighten down more with less force.
second, you risk them backing off on their own.

This is info from number of factory service manuals.

derass
07-07-2013, 09:27 PM
use a wire brush on the lugs to remove whatever rust you can, then spray them down with brake cleaner to get the threads oil free

xXKoukiXx
07-07-2013, 09:45 PM
thanks for all the advice fellas

slidin
07-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Saw this thread and first thing I was going to say was hub centric ring even though I wasn't positive. Now I wonder why it didn't fit well. Don't SSR wheels come with rings? Looking for new ones now?

xXKoukiXx
07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
^^^The rings were for a lexus, which have a smaller bore size than an s chassis'. I am probably just going to run them lug centric.

slidin
07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
^^^The rings were for a lexus, which have a smaller bore size than an s chassis'. I am probably just going to run them lug centric.

Why not just get some off ssr-wheels.com?