PDA

View Full Version : those of you with s13 kouki taillights...

kingsol
05-02-2004, 09:31 PM
i finished putting them on, but i'm just wondering... are they not suppose to flush up with the rear quarter panel? because mine sticks out about 1/2 a dime farther at the sides. i think it's just that sealant stuff, but i don't want to overtighten the nuts... any insight would be appreciated.

lumbo007
05-03-2004, 01:29 AM
I was wondering that myself... my kouki tails stick out from the 1/4 panel and the hatch... it looks like it should be flush, but maybe it's just me.

kingsol
05-03-2004, 01:49 AM
yeah, everything else seems to flush up nicely (well not the lower piece, but i think some washers would do the trick) except the outer part of the light. is it like this for everyone? in all the pictures i've seen the lights seem to fit well, but maybe it's just the angle...?

phrozen
05-03-2004, 06:16 AM
my stock lights stick out a little bit by the fenders lol

NISMO_drift
05-03-2004, 09:21 AM
you guys just need to tighten the bolts and smash the black glue shit. ...mine fit fine.. if your's isn't fitting right then maybe your car was rear-ended and one point in its life and not fixed correctly....

kingsol
05-03-2004, 10:06 AM
you guys just need to tighten the bolts and smash the black glue shit. ...mine fit fine.. if your's isn't fitting right then maybe your car was rear-ended and one point in its life and not fixed correctly....

that's what i was thinking, but i was afraid that i might break the bolt or something... i guess i'll just try and torque the crap out of it... right? or maybe i'll just wait for more people to confirm...

lumbo007
05-03-2004, 11:25 AM
so it's the seals? i bought mine brand new, with new seals.. so i'm real reluctant to just tighten the crap out of them

kingsol
05-03-2004, 06:23 PM
i have a brand new set too, so those for those of you who have managed to flush them... how many threads do you have on the outer two bolts (closest to the quarter panel) after you tightened the nut?

drift freaq
05-04-2004, 11:27 AM
ok guys indeed its the new sealant that is keeping them from getting flush. when you put the new sealant on you should try to flatten it as much as possible before putting the tails in. It happens to everyone to a varieing degree. Be careful about cranking real hard on those mounting nuts your tails are plastic and if you tighten to hard you could pull the stud out of the plastic. If they are on and you have a gap give them a few months and retighten them. The sealant will set in over time. Especially during summer when the sealant warms up and gets hot and sticky. Oh ya kingsol you need to go park your car over on the bayside and get out of the fogbelt for this. hahhahahha J/K
Dave

kingsol
05-04-2004, 11:34 AM
ok thanks dave, i guess i'll try and give it time. i might pull it out and flatten the sealant that's already on there since i didn't do it the first time and if things get messy i'll just take it off and put new sealant on

but if i do end up stripping a bolt is there any way to fix it or to make it fit right? because i could tighten the nuts, but when i turn i don't know if i'm pushing in the sealant or i'm taking the nut farther than it wants to go

undercoverdjay
05-06-2004, 03:59 PM
My center piece of my car didnt seem to fit 100% correctly. It's almost like the bottem sticks out while the top is flush. I've looked at other tail light setups and they all seem to do that. Anyone have an idea about that?

nightwalker
05-06-2004, 04:17 PM
they don't sit completely flush, it's normal. I've seen a million of them, and they all look like that. Oh well.