PDA

View Full Version : Help with choosing a diff for my 302.

wildkong
06-24-2013, 01:59 AM
I currently have a 302 on my s14 with a welded diff and I was wondering what would be better a q45 or a KAAZ diff. Getting a really good deal on a KAAZ so that's why I'm considering it, dont know the differences thats why im here. thanks for ur positive feedback in advance. let me know what u guys think. Planing on sliding the 40. Thanks guys

fliprayzin240sx
06-24-2013, 11:16 AM
If you can afford to get an aftermarket diff, why even consider an OEM VLSD?

wildkong
06-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Is not that I can, is just cheap from a friend. I only owned welded and shimmed diffs on my rolla and s13. Now I have a s14 with a bigger engine (302 v8) but the gearing on the s14 welded I have I was told is short and I needed a different to perform better. They told me just to get a q45 vlsd so I'm asking what's better for my setup a q45 or a 2 way KAAZ? Some one said a shimmed one and others q45 but I don't get which one

wildkong
06-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Is my question retarded or does no one know?

DJ-of-E
06-24-2013, 04:41 PM
They told me just to get a q45 vlsd so I'm asking what's better for my setup a q45 or a 2 way KAAZ? Some one said a shimmed one and others q45 but I don't get which one

Please stated what you want to diff to do? This is how tuners would discuss what to get

Step 1: Learn what you want the diff to do? Drift? Grip? Longer final gear?
Step 2: Research benefits or disadvantages for each diff. Can you get longer gear from different diff?
Step 3: ???
Step 4 : PROFIT!

fliprayzin240sx
06-24-2013, 05:27 PM
KA24DEvelopment.com :: VLSD Swap Information (http://www.ka24development.com/vlsd.html)

Read that...Q45 isnt exactly a bolt on setup. You going with a KAZZ diff means you're not gonna change your gearing since you're gonna re-use your current DIFF housing and gears. If you want the final gearing to change, you'd have to get a different set of pinion and ring gear.

DJ-of-E
06-24-2013, 05:30 PM
KA24DEvelopment.com :: VLSD Swap Information (http://www.ka24development.com/vlsd.html)

Read that...Q45 isnt exactly a bolt on setup. You going with a KAZZ diff means you're not gonna change your gearing since you're gonna re-use your current DIFF housing and gears. If you want the final gearing to change, you'd have to get a different set of pinion and ring gear.

No point reading all that when he doesn't even know the basics of it first. He just think this is "Gran Turismo" and slap some part and it does magic. :D

It's like one of those guys buing them "as seen on tv" turbines that help improve gas mileage without learning how air flow works. :nono:

wildkong
06-24-2013, 09:36 PM

That's exactly what I wanted to know thanks.
I knows it's not a bolt on setup that's why i was considering the KAAZ cause its just $200 shy from what the q45 would be. From what diff or where would I be able to get longer gearing?? Should I get a q45 diff and swap in a KAAZ in it? Will a s14 KAAZ work on a q45? Thanks for the info.

No point reading all that when he doesn't even know the basics of it first. He just think this is "Gran Turismo" and slap some part and it does magic. :D

It's like one of those guys buing them "as seen on tv" turbines that help improve gas mileage without learning how air flow works. :nono:
I said positive feedback smart guy. I'm new to how diffs work. I street drift so all me and some friends do is. Slap coils and weld diff and go. Trying to do more then just that so I'm learning the differences on how everything works. Keep ur comments to ur self thanks :)

wildkong
06-24-2013, 09:39 PM
If it was you guys what would you do for a diff??

wildkong
06-24-2013, 09:47 PM
I do have my own preferences.http://hornt.computerxray.com/01.jpg
http://hornt.computerxray.com/02.jpg http://hornt.computerxray.com/03.jpg http://hornt.computerxray.com/04.jpg
http://hornt.computerxray.com/05.jpg http://hornt.computerxray.com/06.jpghttp://hornt.computerxray.com/07.jpg

Which are?

Kingtal0n
06-25-2013, 12:32 AM
What transmission behind the 302 makes all the difference.

But for the most part, the only thing that will make any sense from a cost effective perspective is the S15 OEM hlsd since it fits without modification and has a reasonable ratio.

But if the trans behind the 302 has no overdrive, no differential is going to give you fuel economy highway RPM.
likewise, if you have a bone stock 302 with a peanut cam, even the s15 hlsd might be numerically too high.

If I had a 302 at my disposal, and I was looking for a cheap 350 horsepower~~ I would install a camshaft with around 230* of duration @ .050 lift, with a total of around .500" of lift or less, some decent aftermarket springs on a decent set of aftermarket aluminum heads like twisted wedge trickflows or something "ford racing" approved for a roller camshaft. leave the OEM bottom end and hope its 9:1 compression or higher.

that should get you around 350 horses and the S15 HLSD would mate right up to that behind an AOD 4 speed automatic trans or any typical 5-speed.
if tuned right (EFI) thats 25+ mpg and 350+ horses to the wheels. It should also go 12's in a 240sx with street tires.

DJ-of-E
06-25-2013, 12:44 AM
I said positive feedback smart guy. I'm new to how diffs work. I street drift so all me and some friends do is. Slap coils and weld diff and go. Trying to do more then just that so I'm learning the differences on how everything works. Keep ur comments to ur self thanks :)

Since you have a 302 engine in your S14, research online to see which diff would hold your power down better. I remembered one of the formula D guys has a welded Q45 diff due to stronger axles and bigger gear when I was into drifting.

wildkong
06-25-2013, 01:55 AM
What transmission behind the 302 makes all the difference.

But for the most part, the only thing that will make any sense from a cost effective perspective is the S15 OEM hlsd since it fits without modification and has a reasonable ratio.

But if the trans behind the 302 has no overdrive, no differential is going to give you fuel economy highway RPM.
likewise, if you have a bone stock 302 with a peanut cam, even the s15 hlsd might be numerically too high.

If I had a 302 at my disposal, and I was looking for a cheap 350 horsepower~~ I would install a camshaft with around 230* of duration @ .050 lift, with a total of around .500" of lift or less, some decent aftermarket springs on a decent set of aftermarket aluminum heads like twisted wedge trickflows or something "ford racing" approved for a roller camshaft. leave the OEM bottom end and hope its 9:1 compression or higher.

that should get you around 350 horses and the S15 HLSD would mate right up to that behind an AOD 4 speed automatic trans or any typical 5-speed.
if tuned right (EFI) thats 25+ mpg and 350+ horses to the wheels. It should also go 12's in a 240sx with street tires.

Wow didn't know it was that much hp. I was thinking like 280 at best. Good to know thanks. Still need to find a way to tune. It has stock block, built explorer heads with cams and trick flow intake with 75mm tb. It has a t5 transmission. Now u got me thinking of the s15. Thanks for the help.

Since you have a 302 engine in your S14, research online to see which diff would hold your power down better. I remembered one of the formula D guys has a welded Q45 diff due to stronger axles and bigger gear when I was into drifting.

I picked up a s13 pumpkin with a Kaaz for $400 so that's why I was considering it since all I need to do is switch the covers and its plug n play. I know that a q45 needs q45 and 300zx driver side axels to make it work, but I wasn't sure if that was a better choice.

Thanks for the help guys. Newbe learning more and more.

S12 Drifter
06-25-2013, 07:40 AM
torque breaks shit not" HP

horsepower is imagery it does not exist but then again it does. horsepower is work done over 5252 x time x rpms x torque, and "horsepower" is a figure based off of torque if you have no torque you have no "horsepower".

torque is FORCE horsepower is the work that force does overtime.

fliprayzin240sx
06-25-2013, 08:06 AM
R200 diffs are pretty stout to begin with, I wouldnt worry about it till your knocking at the 600whp/450 ft/lbs window.

Stock diff on these cars are usually 4.08. J30 diffs have roughly a 3.9. Early 90s Q45 is roughly 3.54 and late 90s has 3.13 according to quick google search.

S12 Drifter
06-25-2013, 08:29 AM
R200 diffs are pretty stout to begin with, I wouldnt worry about it till your knocking at the 600whp/450 ft/lbs window.

Stock diff on these cars are usually 4.08. J30 diffs have roughly a 3.9. Early 90s Q45 is roughly 3.54 and late 90s has 3.13 according to quick google search.

their not going to break with those levels of power if anything you shoulf worry more about your axles.

diffs break because torque (R200 can handle this) and because you dont service them enough, I.E fluid change with top grade stuff.

Danial
06-25-2013, 11:04 AM
get the kaaz. it isnt beaten on and 20 years old like the q diff. I have a q45 that Ive been beating on and sometimes when i try to drift or just burnout the vlsd just spins one tire. It has 80k original miles and is already crapping out.

but if you get the q45 diff, get an extra set of shims and throw them on there. That will fix the problem I am describing.

Really though, get the kaaz and some new diff bushings.

roushman90
06-29-2013, 03:16 AM
Q45 for the ratio. If you are running a T-5, they are perfect IMO for 302 swapped S-chassis

jr_ss
06-29-2013, 08:56 AM
When did this turn into a torque vs horsepower discussion thread?

Kingalton, why must you put your two cents when it comes to an engine setup? He is drifting the car, not drag racing it...

OP, I'd go with a more aggressive diff as stated. Use the R200(factory S-chassis rearend) and build what you need. There are many ratios out there that will swap in to give you a lower or higher final drive ratio. You'll have to do the calculations to figure out what works best for you and your engine/trans setup. I know 302's don't rev to the moon.