PDA

View Full Version : Specialty Paint or Just any old spray?

matt0941
04-30-2004, 09:06 AM
I am painting my Z32 wheels soon with primer and then bronze, then clear coat. I have the primer and the clearcoat, BUT NO PAINT! Everyone tells me they have "wheel paint" but I call that a lie. They say it is dupli-color wheel paint but they only have 3 colors on their website. So is everyone BSing and should I just use any old spray paint from home depot over the primer? I don't want it to flake off immediately or something.

kandyflip445
04-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Why not just get them powder coated?(Probably cause it costs more but I've never looked so I don't know).

rrobe99999
04-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Its funny, I've also heard there is no such thing as wheel paint. You can't paint them without it peeling off. But Z32 wheels are painted silver from the factory, and it lasts. So whatever paint they use would be the way to go. Anything else will flake off the Al. I've seen it happen. Did you strip the OEM silver before spraying the primer? Best choices for Al wheels are polished, chromed, or powder coated.

95Blue240sx
04-30-2004, 11:04 AM
uhhh...they do make wheel paint. it is made by dupli color. they dont peel.

Maeda
04-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Krylon Matt. Dont bother primering...

If your ghetto coating wheels, who cars.

My mustang rims are painted gold. *Bling*

matt0941
04-30-2004, 11:50 AM
uhhh...they do make wheel paint. it is made by dupli color. they dont peel.

Sweet jesus, can someone please link me cause I can't find this shit.

As for all the anti-DIY wheel paint, I don't care. You guys may think it peels this or that but I know plenty of people running on painted clear-coated rims for 2+ years in snow/summer and different tires. As for how it will look, you guys will like it trust me :coold:

Now link me!!!!11!!one

DuffMan
04-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah they do just have the 3 colors :(

But just paint it whatever color you want. Use many thin coats. It might peel in some places, especially arround the lug nuts from getting rubbed by the socket, but in general it holds up pretty well.

General purpose paint with duplicolor wheel clear coat would probably be about the same as wheel paint.

Use the metalcast paint for extra bling!
http://duplicolor.com/gallery/gallery_images/metalcast_wheel_yellow.jpg

soulDistortion
04-30-2004, 05:51 PM
duplicolor makes a wheel paint. they also make a clear coat for said wheel paint. i have a can in my garage, that i used to paint my friend's wheels graphite. there are also other companies that make wheel paints, or you can just use regular spraypaint.

no matter what choice, it would also help if you bought a can-gun (http://www.safeworld.com/). trust me, it will help you make more even strokes.

matt0941
05-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Can-Gun looks pretty cool. Just know idea how to order it from that site!

As far as the paints go. WHY DO THEY ONLY HAVE 3 ON THEIR WEBSITE? It is "wheel coating" right?!?!?

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh

240Driver39
05-01-2004, 06:05 PM
they only have 3 colors on their site and htats all ive seen in stores...graphite, clear, and osmething else or whatever.

anyhow, i think ur making a big deal out of something that is easy....

just grab some paint...say high temp paint or someting....prep the wheel..paint it...

if it turns out shitty or chips after time..just repaint it..not that big of a deal.

soulDistortion
05-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Can-Gun looks pretty cool. Just know idea how to order it from that site!

As far as the paints go. WHY DO THEY ONLY HAVE 3 ON THEIR WEBSITE? It is "wheel coating" right?!?!?

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh

you can get the can-gun at any hardware store or wal-mart or whatever.

go to walmart or pep boys or wherever, and look at their selection of automotive spraypaint.. any will work fine. just remember to clear coat.

JtWo
05-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Use Speis Hecker, Sherwin Brothers, or House of Kolor!!!!