PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys SR20DET Help

GarrettW
06-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Hey guys, im getting into 240sx and looking at getting one. This will be my first car that i will actually work on. can you guys say in your a opinion from 1-10, how hard is the SR20DET to work on? like I said this will be the first engine I ever work on.

Kingtal0n
06-18-2013, 09:52 PM
This is probably (one of) the best engines you could start with in my opinion. just about every part of it is accessible while it is installed in the vehicle. I came from V8's and let me tell you, it was quite a relief to be able to change my plugs without burning my hands up all the time. My first Nissan motor swap I did when I was around 19 years old and it took about 8-10 hours.

steve shadows
06-18-2013, 10:59 PM

:bite::bite::bite::bite:

GarrettW
06-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for you're imput guys! I got a guy that lives down the street from me that i saw hes got a s14 and a 13 with a silvia front end, hadnt had the chance to talk with him yet. I wonder if hes on this forum.. Well anyways thanks guys!

KiLLeR2001
06-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Start working on a KA24DE first, very similar to the SR20. If you screw up the KA no big deal since they are a dime a dozen.

fliprayzin240sx
06-19-2013, 03:43 PM
17 yrs old, wants an SR and seem pretty clueless about working on cars? Recipe for a fucking disaster. Save your money, buy a cheap reliable car and enjoy being young...

GarrettW
06-19-2013, 09:56 PM
see man, i dont want a Cheap and reliable car. to me. a 240sx is my cheapest choice in price. 5-7k isnt much to me. and the 240s ive seen for sale have an extra SR20det will them, so i can work on that while driving the car. i want to learn on how to work on cars, not just keep buying a car and not have any problems. i like to learn on mistakes.

fliprayzin240sx
06-20-2013, 08:59 AM
What I'm getting at is at your age, you have better shit to do than be fucking with a car. These will suck up alot of your time and money. Keeping up on these cars is part of owning them due to age. Then you thow in the fact that you're buying somebody else's project. You buy an SR20DET equipped S-chassis and the owner already has a spare SR? I'd be weary on why he has a spare one. The whole I wanna have a spare to build up is always a suspect answer when it comes to the reliability aspect of the engine thats currently in the car.

GarrettW
06-20-2013, 10:27 AM
That does make sense, but i always have a lot of time on my hands. im either working or sitting at my house. the occational chilling with friends. and that spare engine they have has a dropped valve or something like that. so realistically they probably beat the shit out of the car.

fliprayzin240sx
06-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Honestly, if you are dead set on these cars, get the most prestine stock S-chassis you can find. If you're gonna learn on it, go slowly, buy quality parts and do it right.

But honestly, if I was 17 and my parents are fronting the money for a car, I'd get something newer than a damn 20-25 yr old car. I'd look into something like an IS300 and just roll in it.

GarrettW
06-20-2013, 05:42 PM
im paying for half of it, i was looking at an RSX type-s but i dont really want one. thats about it. or a 350z. but thats going a little steep in price.

hdhype
06-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Like what was said above the SR20DET is one of the esiest engines to work on. The only exception I would give is the Redtop's intake manifold placement in relation to the oil filter makes changing the filter a little more than an epic quest. However if you take it into consideration that most people who own an SR20DET have probably been balls deep in every crevis, changing the oil filter isn't that big of a problem.

Now I will have to say that I agree with flipprayzin about getting a newer, more reliable car though.

Alamo_City_210
06-21-2013, 03:25 PM
At 17, I'd say be a big boy and buy your own car. Thats what i did. A 1985 Cutlass Supreme for $400. learned alot from that car and i still have it to this day. Im 23 now. If your just learning, get a non computer controlled car, then work your way up from there. If not, you'll be a contributor of threads asking for help for alot of simple issues.

Not pointing the finger at OP but most kids who have their parents buy them a car will eventually crash it. I beleive its cause they didnt pay for it, so they dont value it.

TheRealSy90
06-21-2013, 04:25 PM
sr20 is probably the easiest motor to work on imo, everything is easy on it.

GarrettW
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
ive had my lisense for awhile..... i know how to drive. i drive my parents 2013 cadiallac ats right now. trust me, i wont crash it. my parents know i wont. i learned how to drive on a 2011 tundra 6inch lift on 35s. i know how to drive. im not gunna crash it.. haha