PDA

View Full Version : S15 Subframe in S13 - Suspension question

souljourner
04-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Hey guys,

I am going to be putting in an S15 subframe in my S13.

I have the whole subframe with everything attached except the rear struts.

My question is: What rear springs/struts can I use? I already have a set of S13 coilovers. I heard of many people putting in 300zx rear uprights, but I would prefer to stick to my coilover system.

Can someone please shed some light on this? Thanks so much in advance.

:hsdance:

cdlong
04-28-2004, 08:57 AM
i wouldn't think many of us are that familiar with the S15 subframe so how about some more detail? first off, why won't your coilovers work? what are the differences between the two? are the dimensions different or the materials? if the dimensions are the same you should be able to use your coilovers

people use 300zx uprights because they are aluminum and quite a bit lighter. the other difference is the lower shock mount is a post instead of a bushing. some coilovers allow you to change the lower mount, maybe yours can do that.

because of my help you are required to send me the HLSD if equipped :x:

kandyflip445
04-28-2004, 10:55 AM
IIRC Dousan was supposed to be putting a s15 subframe on his car.

kazuo
04-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Yah ask DOUSANSPL... he knows cus he was/is gonna do it.

Good luck

souljourner
04-28-2004, 04:05 PM
i wouldn't think many of us are that familiar with the S15 subframe so how about some more detail? first off, why won't your coilovers work? what are the differences between the two? are the dimensions different or the materials? if the dimensions are the same you should be able to use your coilovers

people use 300zx uprights because they are aluminum and quite a bit lighter. the other difference is the lower shock mount is a post instead of a bushing. some coilovers allow you to change the lower mount, maybe yours can do that.

because of my help you are required to send me the HLSD if equipped :x:

From my knowledge of S14s and S13's, the S14 rear strut tower mounts are much much taller than the S13's. The mounts on the S14's are actually near the upper rear speakers. The S13's rear strut tower mounts are SEVERAL INCHES lower than the S14's. So this is the reason I am wondering if my coilovers will still match up.

My question basically is:

Which shocks/struts can fit on the rear of an S13 with S14/S15 subframe?

Thanks so much.
:hsdance:

Dousan_PG
04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
use s13 suspension
use s13 rucas
make your own bushings or use the s15 ones
there are some other small issues you might run into but nothing crazy
a friend of mine already put his on, no problems

be prepared for stupid small stuff.

JustinHallenbeck
04-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Question, y would you wanna install the s15 subframe?

Dousan_PG
04-28-2004, 08:00 PM
search on freshalloy.com i posted about it and got some info on why it is 'better' if you want those sort of things

anyways, there is more info on FA

mine's almost ready to go on
need to order my RUCAs (splparts.com ones) and all the other arms are already replaced w/ spl arms
and i wanna do my rear z brakes at the same time too, so i need to get 3 more parts for that too (MC, rotosr, pads) and ist all ready otherwise.

if i had more money, NISMO S15 rear lower control arms are cheap but ill get those replaced later.

souljourner
04-29-2004, 10:08 AM
search on freshalloy.com i posted about it and got some info on why it is 'better' if you want those sort of things

anyways, there is more info on FA

mine's almost ready to go on
need to order my RUCAs (splparts.com ones) and all the other arms are already replaced w/ spl arms
and i wanna do my rear z brakes at the same time too, so i need to get 3 more parts for that too (MC, rotosr, pads) and ist all ready otherwise.

if i had more money, NISMO S15 rear lower control arms are cheap but ill get those replaced later.

Hey Dousan, sorry but RUCAs is Rear Upper Control Arm, is that right?

:naughtyd:

FRpilot
04-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Hey Dousan, sorry but RUCAs is Rear Upper Control Arm, is that right?

:naughtyd:

yes. RUCA = Rear Upper Control Arm

sykikchimp
04-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Aaron - you need the adjustable links to make this work? Did you ever measure the mounting points to see if there was a difference, and what it was?

silvia Ks 91
04-29-2004, 11:56 PM
i think that he just wants to do everything at one time, because he a crazy ass :)

Dousan_PG
04-30-2004, 09:16 PM
i did a 1/2 assed measurement job
frankly i am lazy
i changed all the arms cuz its cheap. all adjustalbe
and my current s13 subframe is all adjustable but one arm, i wont go back to stock! i love eh fine tuning of adj arms. :)

anyways...ill try and measure it but everytime i go to work on it i just sit there and smile. all SPLparts.com arms, z32 rear brakes, gah..so clean so new looking.