PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start a build

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Sup everyone! Im looking to start a build, a track build anyway for drifting. So anyway I need some pointers and maybe some tips. BTW I still need the car but everyone is charging so much its ridiculous....... I have about 1k and since my birthday is in July Ill have more. Well lets start I got questions so ill list them below. :D

1. Is it better to leave stock KA and turbo it or just put in an SR, it also comes down to how much you want to spend and I dont have full time job.

2. Coilovers, is it easy to find coilovers without spending alot like 1300$?

3. A welded diff or a Posi?

4. Stock ebrake or hydraulic?

5. Short shifter or sequential?

6. Ik engine parts i can buy and upgrade as I go on.

7. What is a good clutch? Do you need a stiff one or a soft one?

8. Power steering or what they use in Formula D, looks like a straight steering column.

Im sure im missing more, but just point some stuff out and what i should get

Nissansota240
06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
I foresee this thread not going so well for you.

You have $1,000 that is no where near enough for any sort of build.

Buy a Camry, start a savings account. Come back in 3 years.

cbcm2435
06-06-2013, 08:41 AM
your 15 and in no way have the money to build one of these cars, and from the questions you are asking i can tell you dont know much about cars, so just stay away

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Well i need the car. Thats what i got 1k for. I was just asking about the parts and stuff. I got 4k in the bank so i mean. Only get my hands on that at 18. I wasnt asking for people to be asses. But whatever.

Hiighboost2
06-06-2013, 08:54 AM
I would start by picking up a complete running stock 240 and mod is as you get $$.
Drifting is pretty expensive, even when you do everything yourself.
So if you aren't prepared to get your hands dirty, I wouldn't start down this path.

I have a stock ka 240 that I've driven at around 7 events so far.
You don't need the best and most expensive parts to start drifting, you just need to know how to best set your car up with what you got.

For example, I'm still running the stock ebrake, stock clutch, and everything on my engine is stock minus an intake.

Pretty much all I've done so far is suspension mods and I'm fairly happy with how my car handles for how little power it has.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

drod327
06-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Sorry buddy, this is Zilvia. You're going to get flamed for questions like that, no offense. Maybe read up on these types of builds a bit more before you subject yourelf to these folks hahaha they can be tough. Theres a builds thread on the site also, lots of info on other builds, pricing, and opinion on parts. I suggest you take a look at that thread and a a few others, just brows this site and others. Tons of 240 forums out there. Also $1000 is really not quite enough to jump into this world(even if at 18 you get a payday), not trying to sound like an ass, really. Save up some more cash and do a good amount of research, you'll be ok lol

motteramm
06-06-2013, 09:03 AM
http://www.charlieglickman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/not-this-shit-again.jpg

Dude really now.

I'm going to try and save you..

Step 1.

-Search search search search some more and the search....but really every question you asked could be answered by Google.

Step 2.

- Buy a civic because 1k may not even get you a decent shell with all the drift tax roaming around.

Step 3.

-If you really really really want a drift car actually buy a dam civic. And the start a savings account like the guy above said. You will need anywhere from 2.5-3k to get a reliable daily out of an S-Chassis. It sucks but its true. They are old cars and most are beat to shit so you can't find one in good running shape for much less than that.

Oh and most people actually don't even use an E-brake when drifting.... IMO its kinda amateur and should only really be used for corrections... but whatever..

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 09:04 AM
I would start by picking up a complete running stock 240 and mod is as you get $$.
Drifting is pretty expensive, even when you do everything yourself.
So if you aren't prepared to get your hands dirty, I wouldn't start down this path.

I have a stock ka 240 that I've driven at around 7 events so far.
You don't need the best and most expensive parts to start drifting, you just need to know how to best set your car up with what you got.

For example, I'm still running the stock ebrake, stock clutch, and everything on my engine is stock minus an intake.

Pretty much all I've done so far is suspension mods and I'm fairly happy with how my car handles for how little power it has.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Do you have a welded diff at all? And what suspension do you have btw? And I look everyday to try to find a 240, just everyone wants alot and well we dont all have that... my dad doesnt understand the difference between the welded because he says heat gets to it and destroys it...and ovbiously i dont want a 800hp car and everything. Yes drifting is expensive and I just want to get into it like everyone else is. Well thanks for the feedback! :)

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 09:06 AM
http://www.charlieglickman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/not-this-shit-again.jpg

Dude really now.

I'm going to try and save you..

Step 1.

-Search search search search some more and the search....but really every question you asked could be answered by Google.

Step 2.

- Buy a civic because 1k may not even get you a decent shell with all the drift tax roaming around.

Step 3.

-If you really really really want a drift car actually buy a dam civic. And the start a savings account like the guy above said. You will need anywhere from 2.5-3k to get a reliable daily out of an S-Chassis. It sucks but its true. They are old cars and most are beat to shit so you can't find one in good running shape for much less than that.

Oh and most people actually don't even use an E-brake when drifting.... IMO its kinda amateur and should only really be used for corrections... but whatever..

Well its not gonna be a daily as thats what the rules are in my household. But anyway it would be in my grandma's garage and as time goes on ill put the parts that it needs. Ofc i would love to have it as a daily but rules are rules until 18

Hiighboost2
06-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Do you have a welded diff at all? And what suspension do you have btw? And I look everyday to try to find a 240, just everyone wants alot and well we dont all have that... my dad doesnt understand the difference between the welded because he says heat gets to it and destroys it...and ovbiously i dont want a 800hp car and everything. Yes drifting is expensive and I just want to get into it like everyone else is. Well thanks for the feedback! :)

Yea I'm running a welded diff. If you have it welded correctly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
But if the welds break, you'll need a new diff.
And i'm running Apexi coilovers, got em for a little under 1k.
I got my 240 for around $850, it had a blown up auto trans and was running like shit.
5 speed swapped it, replaced an injector, and removed the top timing chain guide and its been great ever since.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

motteramm
06-06-2013, 09:11 AM

I personally would go with a VLSD, and have it rebuilt. It will allow you to get better faster and won't blow out bushings and shit. Hiighboost2 is absolutely right. You don't need anything special on your car. All you need is the car, tires, and lots of seat time.

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Sorry buddy, this is Zilvia. You're going to get flamed for questions like that, no offense. Maybe read up on these types of builds a bit more before you subject yourelf to these folks hahaha they can be tough. Theres a builds thread on the site also, lots of info on other builds, pricing, and opinion on parts. I suggest you take a look at that thread and a a few others, just brows this site and others. Tons of 240 forums out there. Also $1000 is really not quite enough to jump into this world(even if at 18 you get a payday), not trying to sound like an ass, really. Save up some more cash and do a good amount of research, you'll be ok lol

Im trying to save as much as can dude. Thats my top priority to be honest, ever since i got my job its been going to the 240 fund that im saving for. I really need a second job because all the money i need to even get the car. Ill find one and hopefully find it. It sucks not being able to buy the car, and the 1k is going to be getting bigger and bigger as time goes. Thanks for the reply

zooopreme
06-06-2013, 09:47 AM
1. Is it better to leave stock KA and turbo it or just put in an SR, it also comes down to how much you want to spend and I dont have full time job.

2. Coilovers, is it easy to find coilovers without spending alot like 1300$?

3. A welded diff or a Posi?

4. Stock ebrake or hydraulic?

5. Short shifter or sequential?

6. Ik engine parts i can buy and upgrade as I go on.

7. What is a good clutch? Do you need a stiff one or a soft one?

8. Power steering or what they use in Formula D, looks like a straight steering column.

Im sure im missing more, but just point some stuff out and what i should get

As bad as the flames are in this thread, keep in mind, most people in this thread had to start somewhere and the fanboy slowly dissipates when you learn the do's and don't's on this community.

To answer your questions:

1. KA's are fine if you're learning. Get a dual cam or if you're left with a single cam, I would read up and learn how to boost it safely. You can have a real fun car with a boosted single cam. You won't make over 200hp but with a gutted car and with a boosted single cam or a stock dual cam, that will get you sideways, no problem.

SR's are great but I wouldn't want to start with a swap. Obtain the motor when you can touch that money at 18 and rebuild it before you swap it in. Japanese motors from Japan are kinda suspect these days after the natural disasters so picking motors out now gets iffy.

Keep saving, kid. Drifting isn't cheap.

2. Suspension should be your top priority. If $1,300 is your absolute ceiling, go with brands like Fortune Auto, Stance, and FEAL. You don't NEED to opt for Swift springs but they're one of the best aftermarket spring companies and they have their benefits compared to off the shelf coilover springs.

3. Welded diffs are predictable. If you want your rears to be locked 24/7, go with welded. A lot of pro drivers will tell you to obtain a clutch type diff but if you just want a car to go around the track, a welded isn't bad.

Make sure you plate it. Don't bs the welds either.

4. You don't need a hydro brake. Period.

5. As sucky as the KA/SR transmissions are, I would stick with a stock transmission especially if you're not making that much power. If you have an SR and have the money, find a VQ transmission from a Z33. You'll thank me later.

6. If you're sticking with the KA, keep it stock and replace any parts that go out. You don't need power to drift or get sideways. Want power? Go V8, RB, or JZ. But those are beyond your mowing lawns income.

8. A depowered steering column sucks. Powersteering is life. Want big muscles? Go to the gym.

Lastly, do things are your pace. Nothing sucks more than having your half assed project bullshit rolling around with your ego up your ass. Stay humble and keep your learners cap on.

240boi115
06-06-2013, 10:29 AM
As bad as the flames are in this thread, keep in mind, most people in this thread had to start somewhere and the fanboy slowly dissipates when you learn the do's and don't's on this community.

To answer your questions:

1. KA's are fine if you're learning. Get a dual cam or if you're left with a single cam, I would read up and learn how to boost it safely. You can have a real fun car with a boosted single cam. You won't make over 200hp but with a gutted car and with a boosted single cam or a stock dual cam, that will get you sideways, no problem.

SR's are great but I wouldn't want to start with a swap. Obtain the motor when you can touch that money at 18 and rebuild it before you swap it in. Japanese motors from Japan are kinda suspect these days after the natural disasters so picking motors out now gets iffy.

Keep saving, kid. Drifting isn't cheap.

2. Suspension should be your top priority. If $1,300 is your absolute ceiling, go with brands like Fortune Auto, Stance, and FEAL. You don't NEED to opt for Swift springs but they're one of the best aftermarket spring companies and they have their benefits compared to off the shelf coilover springs.

3. Welded diffs are predictable. If you want your rears to be locked 24/7, go with welded. A lot of pro drivers will tell you to obtain a clutch type diff but if you just want a car to go around the track, a welded isn't bad.

Make sure you plate it. Don't bs the welds either.

4. You don't need a hydro brake. Period.

5. As sucky as the KA/SR transmissions are, I would stick with a stock transmission especially if you're not making that much power. If you have an SR and have the money, find a VQ transmission from a Z33. You'll thank me later.

6. If you're sticking with the KA, keep it stock and replace any parts that go out. You don't need power to drift or get sideways. Want power? Go V8, RB, or JZ. But those are beyond your mowing lawns income.

8. A depowered steering column sucks. Powersteering is life. Want big muscles? Go to the gym.

Lastly, do things are your pace. Nothing sucks more than having your half assed project bullshit rolling around with your ego up your ass. Stay humble and keep your learners cap on.

i couldnt agree more.also if your dailying your missle a welded diff will eat tires like crazy so be prepared to have tires lying around the yard:naughty: hell i got 2-3 sets both in storage and lying around just in case i want to get sideways.
-A ka is the perfect motor to start with because honestly if you can drift a low powered car imagine in the future when you actually have power how well off you will be(seat time is your best friend) always remember to care for your motor as well, do fluid changes and check compression on all cylinders, get to know your car and its flaws(there are bound to be some because well...its a 240 xD)
-suspension from who i quoted^^^ is on point but always look around man! i got a pair or apexi n1's for around 700 bucks and they are awesome! (thanks gtr garage!) and never skimp out on your suspension set up, saying goes you get what you pay for and if you buy shit your car will handle as such. (search the fuck out of what you want your car to handle like and how each brand is directed towards your car) eventually i guarantee youll be doing more than just coils, youll eventually want to do tie rods, control arms, front brace, struts, links, lca's ect.
-yes honestly the e brake in drifting is there to help "motivate" your car to slide lol but with practice clutch popping and other techniques will help you out (did i mention seat time is key???) watch the drift bible on youtube and study how keiichi tsuchiya describes all the techniques he uses. they work trust me!
-power steering is your best friend so dont get rid of it because in the beginnig youll need all the reflexes you got to keep the car in your command and struggling with yanking the wheel to the desired position should be the last of your worries as for clutches? well its all on preference but just be sure to get one that can handle the abuse (exxedy,clutch masters, white buny, ect) because your oem will most likely fail.. actually judging by your budget IT WILL. if i missed anything my bad but thats all i got right now.

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 12:23 PM
i couldnt agree more.also if your dailying your missle a welded diff will eat tires like crazy so be prepared to have tires lying around the yard:naughty: hell i got 2-3 sets both in storage and lying around just in case i want to get sideways.
-A ka is the perfect motor to start with because honestly if you can drift a low powered car imagine in the future when you actually have power how well off you will be(seat time is your best friend) always remember to care for your motor as well, do fluid changes and check compression on all cylinders, get to know your car and its flaws(there are bound to be some because well...its a 240 xD)
-suspension from who i quoted^^^ is on point but always look around man! i got a pair or apexi n1's for around 700 bucks and they are awesome! (thanks gtr garage!) and never skimp out on your suspension set up, saying goes you get what you pay for and if you buy shit your car will handle as such. (search the fuck out of what you want your car to handle like and how each brand is directed towards your car) eventually i guarantee youll be doing more than just coils, youll eventually want to do tie rods, control arms, front brace, struts, links, lca's ect.
-yes honestly the e brake in drifting is there to help "motivate" your car to slide lol but with practice clutch popping and other techniques will help you out (did i mention seat time is key???) watch the drift bible on youtube and study how keiichi tsuchiya describes all the techniques he uses. they work trust me!
-power steering is your best friend so dont get rid of it because in the beginnig youll need all the reflexes you got to keep the car in your command and struggling with yanking the wheel to the desired position should be the last of your worries as for clutches? well its all on preference but just be sure to get one that can handle the abuse (exxedy,clutch masters, white buny, ect) because your oem will most likely fail.. actually judging by your budget IT WILL. if i missed anything my bad but thats all i got right now.

Okay thanks! And yeah i feel you. I drift on a sim game so i kinda have the feeling on how to control it, but thats what the track is for

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Yea I'm running a welded diff. If you have it welded correctly, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
But if the welds break, you'll need a new diff.
And i'm running Apexi coilovers, got em for a little under 1k.
I got my 240 for around $850, it had a blown up auto trans and was running like shit.
5 speed swapped it, replaced an injector, and removed the top timing chain guide and its been great ever since.

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Nice!, I dont see it being hard to switch it to a manual. I mean you can find them on craigslist for like 250-500, I got a 94 S10 with a 5 speed so whatever. And yeah I would have to find someone to weld me a diff or if anything I could just maybe put a 10 bolt in it, Im sure my dad has some diffs left over from the 69 camaro or 56 chevy. gotta ask him. Thanks for the advice again dude.You seem chill

Mikester
06-06-2013, 12:41 PM
So my 19yr old son just informed me that I am going to be a grandpa in 7-8 months, so that pretty much qualifies me to give you some advice, kid.

A 240 is NOT a practical first car, daily driver or not. If you think for one second that your grandmother would be okay with a beat down 20yr old missile leaking all over her garage floor and going in/out all hours of the night; you may want to re-think your plan of attack. Let alone tools & other mess everywhere from all of the repairs you will find yourself having to do.

I very much respect that you are saving your ass off for your dream car, believe me- But if you have $4k sitting in the bank until you are 18, you would be a complete idiot to yank it out & stuff it into a 240 on your 18th birthday unless you had something else financially to fall back on... There's college, living expenses, girls (or boys if you're a homo)... investments; and a whole bunch of other things that money would be much more wisely spent on.

I'm going to stop because I'm sure at age 15, anything I post to you will go in one eye, thru your brain and out the other...

It's great that you have dreams... however you will find as you get a little older that your priorities will change. I recommend you sit down with your parents and tell them you want to get into drifting. There are a couple 15-16yr old kids on the drift circuit here whose parents trailer their cars to events for them etc. You never know, they may just help you out.

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 12:48 PM
So my 19yr old son just informed me that I am going to be a grandpa in 7-8 months, so that pretty much qualifies me to give you some advice, kid.

A 240 is NOT a practical first car, daily driver or not. If you think for one second that your grandmother would be okay with a beat down 20yr old missile leaking all over her garage floor and going in/out all hours of the night; you may want to re-think your plan of attack. Let alone tools & other mess everywhere from all of the repairs you will find yourself having to do.

I very much respect that you are saving your ass off for your dream car, believe me- But if you have $4k sitting in the bank until you are 18, you would be a complete idiot to yank it out & stuff it into a 240 on your 18th birthday unless you had something else financially to fall back on... There's college, living expenses, girls (or boys if you're a homo)... investments; and a whole bunch of other things that money would be much more wisely spent on.

I'm going to stop because I'm sure at age 15, anything I post to you will go in one eye, thru your brain and out the other...

It's great that you have dreams... however you will find as you get a little older that your priorities will change. I recommend you sit down with your parents and tell them you want to get into drifting. There are a couple 15-16yr old kids on the drift circuit here whose parents trailer their cars to events for them etc. You never know, they may just help you out.

Yes, I completely understand where you are going with this. I have already told my parents that im going to do it, I have even taken my dad to an event who hates drifting, rather go straight because he has the muscle cars in him and everything and no doubt that i have it in me also. And my grandma could careless, she's up in age so she doesnt go in there. Plus we have a 55 Chevy in there so i mean..... and true, my priorities may change but you never know. Im handy myself with things, and my dad is one of them people that will teach me the things, besides going to school that i want to build cars and stuff ( Turbo's and Tuning). The thing is though, I dont get everything handed to me like some of these kids and people do today. I gotta bust my ass like you said to get what I want, and not everyone understands that when they get everything.

240boi115
06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Okay thanks! And yeah i feel you. I drift on a sim game so i kinda have the feeling on how to control it, but thats what the track is for
trust me the game and real life quite different from one another. i can say im amazing on forza at drifting and "eh" in real life...
Nice!, I dont see it being hard to switch it to a manual. I mean you can find them on craigslist for like 250-500, I got a 94 S10 with a 5 speed so whatever. And yeah I would have to find someone to weld me a diff or if anything I could just maybe put a 10 bolt in it, Im sure my dad has some diffs left over from the 69 camaro or 56 chevy. gotta ask him. Thanks for the advice again dude.You seem chill

remember the more parts you get from other vehicles the more fabrication you may have to do..

SuperBlackS14
06-06-2013, 01:08 PM
I'll just leave this here for you to peruse through at your leisure.

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/521404-buying-first-240sx.html

Also... What Mikester said. 240s are not good for maintaining a good relationship with your bank, wallet, parents, significant other(s), wherever you get your money from. These things are money pits. Flaming ones full of oil and gas that eat hundos for breakfast lunch and dinner...

If you really want to do this, do it for the right reason... Honestly, you probably will not make money drifting. It will be something that takes up a lot of your time between practice, events, maintenance, mods, and research... Just... make sure you know what you're getting into man. I mean hell, If I had half the sense I do now when I was 15, I'd have no debt and a functioning car 99% of the time...

10psitx
06-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Not to sound like a broken record,,,,, BUT!.....LISTEN TO WHAT HAS BEEN SAID..PLEASE.
Unless you have not described your automotive prowess/ skill level correctly, and judging by the replys you have posted and questions you asked, i will say this, while your intention and ambition is commendable.. your skill level is by far inadequate to begin/complete the task you want to embark upon.

Stop daydreaming Listen to what is being said....save another $3000 put it with $1000 you have now. The time it will take you to save the extra money research the car and its capabilities, then buy a stock one as by then you should have enough knowledge to make an informed decision about the 240 you want to buy. Learn how to control the car and most importantly MAINTAIN it...keep it stock...save more money....do more research....meet people that are involved in the 240 scene ...keep saving money and then be realistic about your skill level before you attempt modding the car. Please take your time and do it the right way 240's are being killed everyday by dreamers who honestly believe they can "build a drift car".

4-20sx
06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
If I were you, look into someone elses build thread and learn from there. Read, read, and read and learn as much as you can before starting anything. Know what your getting into before jumping into it! It is a learning expierence man. Good luck and if you know anyone with automotive and fabrication skills, I suggest watch them and help in whatever way you can. Good luck to you.

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Not to sound like a broken record,,,,, BUT!.....LISTEN TO WHAT HAS BEEN SAID..PLEASE.
Unless you have not described your automotive prowess/ skill level correctly, and judging by the replys you have posted and questions you asked, i will say this, while your intention and ambition is commendable.. your skill level is by far inadequate to begin/complete the task you want to embark upon.

Stop daydreaming Listen to what is being said....save another $3000 put it with $1000 you have now. The time it will take you to save the extra money research the car and its capabilities, then buy a stock one as by then you should have enough knowledge to make an informed decision about the 240 you want to buy. Learn how to control the car and most importantly MAINTAIN it...keep it stock...save more money....do more research....meet people that are involved in the 240 scene ...keep saving money and then be realistic about your skill level before you attempt modding the car. Please take your time and do it the right way 240's are being killed everyday by dreamers who honestly believe they can "build a drift car".

Okay, I dont want to make a full out drift car either. I have 2 years to go before i get my license so I mean, and well the questions I asked may not be the great of what Ik about the cars already,
But coming from the people who own them and do the stuff that I want to do make it easier for me to decide on what I want to do. Money comes down to everything and it really sucks. I mean ik its my decision and everything and ill listen to you guys.

SuperBlackS14
06-06-2013, 01:32 PM
We're not telling you not to waste your money on the car you want. We're playing mom and dad and trying to gently encourage you to make good financial decisions... Or at the very least, make smart(er) bad financial decisions...

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 01:38 PM
We're not telling you not to waste your money on the car you want. We're playing mom and dad and trying to gently encourage you to make good financial decisions... Or at the very least, make smart(er) bad financial decisions...

Well like i said, it cant be a daily. Ill take what i have learned today and ill think about it. Not saying u guys are wrong or right, but i guess ill just have to think about it

10psitx
06-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Well like i said, it cant be a daily. Ill take what i have learned today and ill think about it. Not saying u guys are wrong or right, but i guess ill just have to think about it

This is a smart reply....Think.

Now don't feel discouraged about your intentions...keep working to achieve it
you are on the right track you just missed the first few turns.
Keep the thread alive and you will get constructive advice. I tell my Boys (18 and 17 years old) never ever use your savings to do your car projects its not that important. Have a separate fund to use for project cars. i impart the same to you
My boys started selling parts left over from previous builds on craiglist....so far my eldest bought a 1982 datsun 210 and we are installing a SR20ve-t. He has done all the research, bought all the parts and do most of the work i just provide techinical assistance. He started this almost a year ago and the car is still not drivable.
I own a shop in Austin Tx and mainly cater to the 240 crowd so i see the damage a novice can do.
You will be suprised at what a well maintained 240 can do in stock form with a driver who can control it...start there.

racepar1
06-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Man, you're 15! You shouldn't even be thinking about drifting yet. Go chase girls around and save money. Once you have a full time job and a nice little chunk of money, go for it. The last thing a 15 year old kid needs is a "project car". If you really want to get into it, stay active on the forums and learn some shit first as well. All the questions you're asking are not really necessary to ask at all. That info is not handed out on silver platters or spoons. Around here it is frowned upon to start threads like this, we emphasize resourcefulness and research.

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Man, you're 15! You shouldn't even be thinking about drifting yet. Go chase girls around and save money. Once you have a full time job and a nice little chunk of money, go for it. The last thing a 15 year old kid needs is a "project car". If you really want to get into it, stay active on the forums and learn some shit first as well. All the questions you're asking are not really necessary to ask at all. That info is not handed out on silver platters or spoons. Around here it is frowned upon to start threads like this, we emphasize resourcefulness and research.

Well I want to start a project car tbh. None of the people in school like the shit that I like, all they care about is sports, smoking weed, drinking, popping pills. I dont like none of that. Im willing to take the challenge, i sit on xbox half the day when i get home from school, id rather be occupied by building the car or doing something with tools....

10psitx
06-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Well I want to start a project car tbh. None of the people in school like the shit that I like, all they care about is sports, smoking weed, drinking, popping pills. I dont like none of that. Im willing to take the challenge, i sit on xbox half the day when i get home from school, id rather be occupied by building the car or doing something with tools....

Very good...now get off the x-box and use the computer...The Googles is your friend... you live in New York i gather?

240boi115
06-06-2013, 02:21 PM

i was just reading about a guy that was in your shoes in the past and he picked up an ae86 to keep out of trouble.. he said the same thing down the road today... building his car kept him away from the drugs,pills,drinking and gangs...right on for you man...start googling everything you dont know about.. ask around with people that share the same interest as you and start going to some car meets. ive learned so much from people over a small amount of time from meets, forums and funny as it may sound but youtube aswell..

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Very good...now get off the x-box and use the computer...The Googles is your friend... you live in New York i gather?

Yup and it sucks..... prices insane, assholes, everything lol

10psitx
06-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Are you willing to travel to get a car? the reason i ask is NY is not car friendly especially older cars due to rust issues. Talk to your dad and check out nearby states for better cars maybe you guys can do a road trip and pick one up. look on craiglist but do not buy one or agree to buy without looking and driving it.....start looking and saving a clean stock one is what you want to get....they are still out there....there are a quite few in Texas...long drive though.

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 02:52 PM
i was just reading about a guy that was in your shoes in the past and he picked up an ae86 to keep out of trouble.. he said the same thing down the road today... building his car kept him away from the drugs,pills,drinking and gangs...right on for you man...start googling everything you dont know about.. ask around with people that share the same interest as you and start going to some car meets. ive learned so much from people over a small amount of time from meets, forums and funny as it may sound but youtube aswell..

Youtube is like my bestfriend :D , and even talking to the guys on forza you learn some things 2, unfortunately if i was able to drive, I would head out to Englishtown every friday or whenever they have drift events and stuff, i went once and i thought it was a ball! So when the time comes you never know. And my school screwed me over, i was gonna do the auto thing they have to get some hands on experience but there not doing it this year so im like shitttt..... well and yeah the drugs and crap, i got no interest, girls of course but they also hard to get, when all they do is get drunk, plus its popularity, i could give 2 shits lol. I like wheels and anything on them. If only people werent so gay and had high ass prices on 240's I wouldve bought one already.... even rx'7 (Fc's) miatas 300zx, mustangs, camaro because american cars me and my dad are good with, i look all the time. I would like to have one driving already but shells and stuff, and location, im all the way on the east coast sucks because its more common to see those cars down in florida and on the west coast. Thanks again for the good luck

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Are you willing to travel to get a car? the reason i ask is NY is not car friendly especially older cars due to rust issues. Talk to your dad and check out nearby states for better cars maybe you guys can do a road trip and pick one up. look on craiglist but do not buy one or agree to buy without looking and driving it.....start looking and saving a clean stock one is what you want to get....they are still out there....there are a quite few in Texas...long drive though.

Yeah location is an issue, we have a car trailer but its in PA where my summer house is and NJ, PA i mean aint far but you gotta have time, and my dad may not want to pay to go down there, stuck up sometimes, if he wants it hell get it but me no lol. I look tristate and close to where i am at

10psitx
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
keep looking you will come across somthing, dont get impulsive and buy one because you want to...
It must meet a certain criteria-: stock, decent interior, all electrics function, no out of place wiring, avoid modded cars and check for rust underneath the car where all the seams overlap look for accident damage on the frame rails, core support, inside the trunk/hatch area misaligned body panels.
Things like paint,cracked dash, dirty seats/ carpet, dented panels, worn suspension parts is not a deal breaker but points for negotiations.....But it should be able to drive, turn and stop without hindrance.

240sxSliderr
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
keep looking you will come across somthing, dont get impulsive and buy one because you want to...
It must meet a certain criteria-: stock, decent interior, all electrics function, no out of place wiring, avoid modded cars and check for rust underneath the car where all the seams overlap look for accident damage on the frame rails, core support, inside the trunk/hatch area misaligned body panels.
Things like paint,cracked dash, dirty seats/ carpet, dented panels, worn suspension parts is not a deal breaker but points for negotiations.....But it should be able to drive, turn and stop without hindrance.

Agreed, first thing to do is check for rust no matter what, you can be driving and all of the sudden he frame splits in half and bye bye you go lol

MrChow
06-07-2013, 12:41 AM
I'll be honest go take a Skip Barber class or something. You'll learn 1 or 2 years by trying it yourself in 2 days.

I use to think that it's a waste of money. After becoming a instructor myself and teaching this all I could have done gotten into this carrier much much faster if I took a class early and learned everything.