PDA

View Full Version : Turbo flutter..Should I be worried?

EccentricBro
05-23-2013, 09:51 PM
info: redtop sr20 in an s13, stock besides big radiator and electric fans. tial QR recirculating.

Now I know turbo flutter is not good, but I hear it while cruising a lot. It only flutters if I let off throttle while still in vac or just crawling into boost (1psi or so). If the boost hits over 1psi and I let off, it sounds fine.

I was told by someone that as long as it doesn't happen in boost I shouldn't be worried. Is this true?

derass
05-23-2013, 10:28 PM
I have a TiAL 50mm and let me tell you that these BOVs are better suited to race applications. That is to say, where the vehicle is at full boost most of the time. It takes 5-10 psi in the system to cause the TiAL to let off. These valves have a very stiff spring and is why they can hold shut against 50 psi. HKS SSQV and GReddy Type S are much more streetable in the sense that they let off at lower boost pressures but cannot flow very well above 20 psi.

To answer your question, you don't have to worry about a little bit of surge at low boost pressures and part throttle. If it was happening at full boost, as if not running a BOV, there would be a greater chance of damage to the center section and berarings.

EccentricBro
05-23-2013, 10:32 PM
blah that sucks, guess i shoulda done some more research. if i didn't just buy this thing 2 weeks ago i wouldn't care and just buy another one, but i definitely don't want to drop more money on it. oh well, maybe i'll swap it out in a few months when i swap turbos for a disco potato

idahotuner
05-23-2013, 11:23 PM
normal, you haven’t built enough boost for the bov to open, and the back pressure is causing the turbo to slow down

idahotuner
05-23-2013, 11:24 PM
but its not hurting anything cause its an equaling out of pressure on the exhaust and intake side of the turbo

ultimateirving
05-24-2013, 10:35 AM
at low pressure its not a problem and that BOV you have is a nice one. If youre going disco potato id hold onto it.

omgRWDgoodness!
05-24-2013, 12:16 PM
I have the same one on my stock turbo RB25 and it does that also, nothing to worry about.

EccentricBro
05-24-2013, 12:54 PM
okay cool thanks for the answers. always nice to get more opinions. also, i will most definitely keep the tial.

TheRealSy90
05-24-2013, 06:12 PM
There's nothing wrong with a little flutter at low boost pressure or cruising around, you aren't going to hurt anything.

FaLKoN240
05-24-2013, 06:23 PM
It's called compressor surge. It's not bad if you're not boosting a ton.

Bmxer300zx
05-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Ya wouldn't worry at all I ran a dose pipe (no bov with steel intake pipes mad spool sounds!) setup on my stock Rb turbo at 13psi for 2 years now and still no signs of damage. I was on stock turbo and didn't really care if it blew lol but never did, I recently just picked up a real Greddy rs bov mostly cause it was pretty cheap off a friend sounds good but not as bad ass as a Tial lol

EccentricBro
05-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Ya wouldn't worry at all I ran a dose pipe (no bov with steel intake pipes mad spool sounds!) setup on my stock Rb turbo at 13psi for 2 years now and still no signs of damage. I was on stock turbo and didn't really care if it blew lol but never did, I recently just picked up a real Greddy rs bov mostly cause it was pretty cheap off a friend sounds good but not as bad ass as a Tial lol

i had it venting for a few weeks but have it recirc now...i do miss the sound a little but having the car run properly is much nicer. still get a nice subtle "choo" sound on shifts, still pretty rewarding lol

AJZax
05-25-2013, 02:43 PM
it's fine. Bovs are luxury really. It's more ideal to have a correctly setup bov, but in reality you can run without a bov fine. Yeah you'll get compressor surge, but you probably will anyway. lol

That said, I have a greddy rs bov.