PDA

View Full Version : KA vs SR- with a twist

Edvo34
05-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Aye wasup forums I have a hard question that I need help with. so I have an 89 240sx hatch. It has a dual cam with 180k on it. I bought a "to4e turbo kit" about 6 months ago. I have yet to install it because of lack of time. Now I came across a CL post about an SR20DET for sale. he said he would include engine with a t28 turbo, transmission and harness.He say it has around 75k miles on it. But the SR needs a rebuild and a crankshaft. I also need an ecu for it

My questions is do I stay with my KA build or go SR? I'm looking for about a 300hp~ 400hp goal, over that mark would be fine. the more the marrier lol.
So do I capitalize on the offer?any help would be appreciated

fliprayzin240sx
05-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Why the fuck would you wanna buy a swap that needs a rebuild? Unless he's giving it to your for free or close to it, its not worth it.

Edvo34
05-20-2013, 07:28 PM
He selling it for 500, not technically a rebuild, but to put it back together. he sold the crank at msrp. so he took it apart to sell it.

jr_ss
05-20-2013, 07:45 PM
It's not really a gain. A good used crank isn't cheap nor readily available and a BNIB crank isn't cheap. That doesn't include anything extra that needs to be purchased. Save your money, build the KA and swap your parts on to turbo it.

Bmxer300zx
05-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Why not just find a local ka24de for $200 and build that for the turbo kit you bought? That will make more power than the sr20 setup. Just build the ka for boost, unless he's selling the sr for such a cheap price you could part out and make $$ off it. Then just put it towards the ka, wich I doubt he probably wants way too much like any other thing labeled with "240sx" nowdays.

Edvo34
05-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Yea but the turbo kit I have isn't a name brand turbo. It's not a garret or anything. He needed the money so I bought it off him.

Edvo34
05-20-2013, 10:51 PM
And he wants 500

Chris28
05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
If you're making a thread like this, a reliable 400whp is out of the question. If you want something faster than a stock KA find a running SR, if you're up for a challenge go ahead and turbo your KA but prepare to be replacing/rebuilding your engine at some point. Both engines are fully capable of meeting your goals, but it's going to involve a lot more than throwing on a "t04e turbo kit."

guitaraholic
05-20-2013, 11:19 PM
It's not really a gain. A good used crank isn't cheap nor readily available and a BNIB crank isn't cheap. That doesn't include anything extra that needs to be purchased. Save your money, build the KA and swap your parts on to turbo it.

I was under the impression you could use the FWD Sr20 crank. Is this correct, if so, they can be had for pretty cheap.

Bmxer300zx
05-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Keep the $500, sell the to4e kit, save $500 sell ur 180k ka that will blow up with a turbo on it for $300, buy an sr20 for $1600/800. Swap have fun then shoot for 300/400hp.
That amount of power takes $$ and tuning

Edvo34
05-20-2013, 11:24 PM
I don't think so, I know something is different from the two SR engines
. And, no I was only planning on 250 -300. But someone on the 240sx forums with the right setup it could easily bring home good numbers

Edvo34
05-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Why would it blow up if you properly build it and tune it right? I don't think you would blow it up with the right setup

Chris28
05-20-2013, 11:32 PM
If it's properly built and tuned correctly it will last, but a proper build doesn't involve a no name turbo kit.

Edvo34
05-20-2013, 11:38 PM
Yea but you can always upgrade you turbo, correct ?like the Garrett to4e?

S12 Drifter
05-21-2013, 12:34 PM
KA-T the reason you see people blow KA's is because they have a shitty tune.

I' have personally seen a 430rwhp ka-t last for over 3 years. it depends how much you get on it.

even built engines get worn down and need rebuilds or end up breaking. but it all comes down to the tune, pay good money and take it to someone who tunes high end cars their more likely to do better work then the shitty "i tune 240SX's" guys.

Anhell_ito
05-21-2013, 01:07 PM
dont listen to anyone buy the sr, use injectors, maf, turbo, intercooler etc for your ka build, part what you dont need and slap yourself for buying cheap ebay kits.

S12 Drifter
05-21-2013, 01:14 PM
dont listen to anyone buy the sr, use injectors, maf, turbo, intercooler etc for your ka build, part what you dont need and slap yourself for buying cheap ebay kits.

it's pretty hard to fuck up intercooler pipes/radiator and a intercooler.

I run ebay parts and i am roughly pushing 300rwhp and 280rwtq for over 1 year and 6 months RELIABLY if i have broke anything it was always transmission/diff/axle related. the only ebay parts on my build are emusa wastegate (TiAL valve and diaphragm) ebay intercooler pipes ebay hks bov with legit HKS internals and hks springs, holset HX35. all this is just 10psi of boost.

i would buy ebay kits all day long i would not buy turbos, pistons or anything that requires a balance or rotation or movement off ebay, fuel rails are not a big deal either. so shove the ebay garbage up your ass.

go KA-t you'll spend less money with more power then the SR. cost of motor and mod for mod.

S12 Drifter
05-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Keep the $500, sell the to4e kit, save $500 sell ur 180k ka that will blow up with a turbo on it for $300, buy an sr20 for $1600/800. Swap have fun then shoot for 300/400hp.
That amount of power takes $$ and tuning

you're pretty ignorant. :spank:

Bmxer300zx
05-21-2013, 07:15 PM
you're pretty ignorant. :spank:

Go ahead and elaborate... Please I'm sure your gona tell me how awesome it'll be to slap an knockoff turbo kit on a 180k Ka without a rebuild and make 300-400whp.
Then again I know your Anti Sr20 soo let's here it

Bmxer300zx
05-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Ohhh FYI s12drifto
EBAY, DOES NOT! MAKE! car parts. They're not a parts manufacturer, nor do they sub out to china and have replica stuff made to sell. Your "emusa" crap was not made by "Ebay" I had a bov from them was an enormous pile of crap worked for 3 mins my Greddy RS was worth the $$$.

redline1320
05-21-2013, 07:27 PM
I'd say stick the KA. if your 180k ka blows then go buy another one for $150. Or take that $500 and buy a donor ka and build it. easy as that. Im telling you you'll come out better in the end than you would buying a junk sr with unknown problems and headaches.

240boi115
05-21-2013, 07:37 PM
ok seriously? e bay? maybe an intercooler but thats really it. IMO i would keep the ka and turbo it. start of small like using the sr injectors, piping, smic and t25 setup. if the sr has all those parts that the guy is selling id buy it because eventually youll be buying turbo part anyway. then part out the rest of the sr for funds for your build. eventually in time i would start building my motor the RIGHT WAY and give it a proper rebuild with the funds used by selling parts... ex. replacing gaskets,uprgrading turbos, giving a proper tune, fluid changes and replacing worn hoses/ belts. people give the KA a shit name because there are so many out there that just strap a huge turbo on the motor call it a day and blow the motor to kingdom come in a week...
dont get me wrong though, the sr is a great engine but if i were to buy one to use id make sure it was complete or from a shop that get clips so you can inspect it and basically get all that you need. besides its fun to buy sr front clips! sometimes they come with cool goodies! like digi climate control and tuned motors!:naughtyd: so if youre going to buy an sr.. save up and do it the right way. or get it from a person you trust.

Bmxer300zx
05-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Ka is a great motor seen a couple hold good and respond well. Also seen em pop shortly after turbo'd I'll agree it needs to be tuned right but most kids just jump on an enthapy tune and safc and expect it to be perfect.
Honestly a legit tuning program or even a ms3 will cost some money. The sr is setup good from factory (just get rocker stoppers) and less prone too exploding With boost up vs ka.
Either way the Ka is as easy as walking Into a junkyard and picking up for peanuts.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Ohhh FYI s12drifto
EBAY, DOES NOT! MAKE! car parts. They're not a parts manufacturer, nor do they sub out to china and have replica stuff made to sell. Your "emusa" crap was not made by "Ebay" I had a bov from them was an enormous pile of crap worked for 3 mins my Greddy RS was worth the $$$.

I had a HKS bov that broke the housing broke, it was a 70's hks. i bought a Ebay blow off hks valve and gutted it and used the spring and dia from the working unit. it works flawlessly thanks.

my Emusa wastegate it rebuilt using a Tial valve and Tial diaphragm. my turbo is a HX35 i bought from a dodge cummins forum.

the only thing ebay on my car is a oil catch can and intercooler couplings t-bolt clamps and pipes and radiator. if you think shiney pipes look cool your right, it's not about looking cool it's about function, i could give 3 asses if my engine looks like it came from a swap in texas as long as it has proper compression it was well maintained and functions the way it's suppose to nothing else matters.

i pull a hefty 27mpg highway and 17 city, ON a base tune. and should the wastegate break i have a pop off valve for over boost protection, don't need it but it's a nice feature to have.

Go ahead and elaborate... Please I'm sure your gona tell me how awesome it'll be to slap an knockoff turbo kit on a 180k Ka without a rebuild and make 300-400whp.
Then again I know your Anti Sr20 soo let's here it

a well maintained 180k motor is much more reliable then a motor thats been beat to shit neglected with unknown history with only 30k miles. do you know the history of that SR20 you're getting? most likely no. :spank:3

I've seen NA2T vg30ET's WITH 9.1 comp hold 510rwhp and 480rwtq so shove the ka shit up your ass. nissan makes their pistons out of the same material, the KA is a much better option for him, it's a legit motor, it was not made as a cheap alternative to replace an expensive engine *cough cough SR20 replaced the CA18DET because they were getting expensive. cough*

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 02:17 PM
if you buy a SR20 your buying a hand grenade UNLESS you rebuild it completely. you have no idea the history of it, the seals are old the o-rings are old probably could use replacing and if it's your daily it's not a practical swap. if you just throw it in you run the risk of blowing it from unknown history, or it could be the most reliable motor you ever bought. it's hit or miss with used engines.

240boi115
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
if you buy a SR20 your buying a hand grenade UNLESS you rebuild it completely. you have no idea the history of it, the seals are old the o-rings are old probably could use replacing and if it's your daily it's not a practical swap. if you just throw it in you run the risk of blowing it from unknown history, or it could be the most reliable motor you ever bought. it's hit or miss with used engines.

the same applies to a KA motor unless youre the OG owner.. and the KA motor tends to have many more miles on her than its sr sister..

jr_ss
05-22-2013, 04:55 PM

Just shut up man... You honestly have no clue what your talking about. ANY motor from Japan is an unknown because you don't know wtf its been through. I bought my S14 swap an it ran flawlessly for 2yrs as my daily motor and weekend war machine. I put 25k miles on it, hundreds of WOT pulls and drag passes and it never skipped a beat. So GTFO of here with that rebuild it right away bullshit.

240boi115
05-22-2013, 05:11 PM
my only argument here is that eventually with ANY MOTOR it is wise to do fluid changes, gasket/ seal replacements, and a tune up. but there are plenty of people who have gotten sr's and beaten the crap out of them with no flaws.. honestly though stay KA and run that bish till it takes a crap on you. then go sr. why waste a good motor??

jr_ss
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
I replaced all my seals, timing components(as required to keep my 90day warranty by the importer) and a headgasket with ARPs because I was already in there. Thousands of people have swapped the motor and done nothing more. They are a very stout motor and because of his hate towards the SR he spits uneducated bullshit about it.

A factory 180k KA will not last long when you slap a large turbo on it. Can they handle power? Yes. Do they melt pistons just like an SR when run lean or the tune is off, all day long.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Just shut up man... You honestly have no clue what your talking about. ANY motor from Japan is an unknown because you don't know wtf its been through. I bought my S14 swap an it ran flawlessly for 2yrs as my daily motor and weekend war machine. I put 25k miles on it, hundreds of WOT pulls and drag passes and it never skipped a beat. So GTFO of here with that rebuild it right away bullshit.
so you're saying it blew in 2 years time?

I always rebuild/replace seals on any engine that is used i receive and always use Nissan seals and o-rings regardless if it's a year old or a 40 year old engine with 1,000 miles. seals get old and brittle with age and they leak.

25k miles is petty shit when you get to 60 or 50k on that engine let me know. i find it amusing you people like such an inferior engine design. whatever you're preference.

The KA is a better engine in all aspects.

jr_ss
05-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I did not say it blew, you like assuming shit don't you. I put 25k on it in 2years, add the 25-40k it came with, well there you have it, 50-65k miles.

So inferior to your RB20 that they made it over the course of 15years, what happened to your beloved after what 5yr production times?

The KA is an inferior motor from the factory performance wise. It doesn't rev, doesn't make power north of 6k and serves its purpose as a truck motor. Turbo it, and yea, it's a decent motor, but not better than the SR in factory trim, sorry it's not happening.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I did not say it blew, you like assuming shit don't you. I put 25k on it in 2years, add the 25-40k it came with, well there you have it, 50-65k miles.

So inferior to your RB20 that they made it over the course of 15years, what happened to your beloved after what 5yr production times?

The KA is an inferior motor from the factory performance wise. It doesn't rev, doesn't make power north of 6k and serves its purpose as a truck motor. Turbo it, and yea, it's a decent motor, but not better than the SR in factory trim, sorry it's not happening.

hey guess what? the VG30E is a truck/van motor that will rape whatever SR you want with stock internals.

the RB30's are truck engines too since they came in trucks in aus. the RB25/26 must be a truck motor too since it was used in a nissan stagea correct? :naughtyd:

truck motor or not means shit. VG30ET revs only to 6,250 in factory trim power drops after 5,500rpms. it's all about the cams and tune.

hey hey hey hey you hey, does that mean the VK56's are shitty motors too because they came in trucks? hey what about the VQ40 are they shitty because they came in pathfinders?

in factory trim your comparing apples to oranges. go get a SR20DE and a KA24DE and see what makes more power. im betting the KA does.

lmao at VG30ET truck motor making 1,000hp in full race trim with a 9,500rpm redline. truck motors FTW if thats the case, I'd take any truck motor over any SR.

jr_ss
05-22-2013, 06:27 PM
So a 170hp NA motor is going to rape a lighter faster and higher revving motor 2.0l turbo motor, yeah, that'll be the day. I have a VG30E motor, it's great, but not fast. Once again you turn to the more cylinders, motor literate arguement. You just compared a V6 to the I4, congratulations, you suck again...

Have you forgotten the SR20DET IS a factory motor? It was engineered that way. I call bullshit on your DE argument as well. The NA SR still produces more power in stock trim than the KA.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 06:34 PM
So a 170hp NA motor is going to rape a lighter faster and higher revving motor 2.0l turbo motor, yeah, that'll be the day. I have a VG30E motor, it's great, but not fast. Once again you turn to the more cylinders, motor literate arguement. You just compared a V6 to the I4, congratulations, you suck again...

Have you forgotten the SR20DET IS a factory motor? It was engineered that way. I call bullshit on your DE argument as well. The NA SR still produces more power in stock trim than the KA.

yup follow the sheep the do the swap without even weighing pros and cons.

i can link you to a 1,500hp chevy 2.3l the SR20 is not godsend Fj was the best engine nissan made to date.

the day a SR20 can make 270hp in stock factory N/A trim will be the day I suck your cock and buy a SR.

KendallH
05-22-2013, 06:41 PM

i can link you to a 1,500hp chevy 2.3l the SR20 is not godsend Fj was the best engine nissan made to date.

the day a SR20 can make 270hp in stock factory N/A trim will be the day I suck your cock and buy a SR.

What in the hell are you talking about man?

240boi115
05-22-2013, 06:50 PM

the stock s15 sr20 makes 250hp on 7psi. turn the boost up and itll easliy hit your stupid 270hp stock mark. so suck my dick.. ditch your rb20 and join the sr club buddy!

jr_ss
05-22-2013, 06:54 PM
I think you misunderstood me. I have by no means claimed the SR is the be all, end all engines. I will however defend the motor as being a venerable option, which upgrades nicely and puts out 400whp all day long with bolt ons.

The FJ24, that you refer to was a race motor... Nissan built 200units so they could participate in rally. It was not a mass produced motor like the SR, so once again this isn't a apples to apples comparison.

With that said, I can show you multiple NA SR race motors that make well over the 270 mark. Should I even bother tossing out the SR20VET motor? Lets take a VE head and swap it on to a DE block and viola 500whp at low boost and all stock internals.

Bmxer300zx
05-22-2013, 06:55 PM
He's fucking crazy man. He'll run of the top about vg30e's and ka's and say how much hp they can hold alongside some magical Fj then ramble how horrible a sr20 is without a turbo on it is.
He just hates sr20's so much he'll say a prius motor is a better option for power.
I've done a few sr20's and had one myself never more than replace minor things (water pump, tstat, clutch and few gaskets externally) and Not seen ONE pop and most we're put at 13psi+ for years till they where sold off. Yet sen 2 ka-t's pop over 1 summer with half the milage this kid is talking about. So stfu and die and the BEST nissan motor is the TB48DE imo ;)

240boi115
05-22-2013, 06:57 PM
I think you misunderstood me. I have by no means claimed the SR is the be all, end all engines. I will however defend the motor as being a venerable option, which upgrades nicely and puts out 400whp all day long with bolt ons.

The FJ24, that you refer to was a race motor... Nissan built 200units so they could participate in rally. It was not a mass produced motor like the SR, so once again this isn't a apples to apples comparison.

With that said, I can show you multiple NA SR race motors that make well over the 270 mark. Should I even bother tossing out the SR20VET motor? Lets take a VE head and swap it on to a DE block and viola 500whp at low boost and all stock internals.

i forgot to mention how right THIS IS!!!!^^^^^ YES

Bmxer300zx
05-22-2013, 06:59 PM

Unless you want him too suck your cock you may wana leave this out

240boi115
05-22-2013, 07:03 PM
:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:^^^this

jr_ss
05-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Unless you want him too suck your cock you may wana leave this out

:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:^^^this

You guys, it's all about the show... :drama:

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM

oh you need variable valve timing to even the playing field? :down:

my point was the SR is not god send like you just said, everyone and their mother treat it like's it's gods answer to everything... it would not be hard to stroke a fj20 and brig it to specs.

like you said, it made 270rwhp but this was are crappy carbs im sure if you converted it to EFI cop and so and so it would making just as much power if not more then a SR20VE

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 07:12 PM
He's fucking crazy man. He'll run of the top about vg30e's and ka's and say how much hp they can hold alongside some magical Fj then ramble how horrible a sr20 is without a turbo on it is.
He just hates sr20's so much he'll say a prius motor is a better option for power.
I've done a few sr20's and had one myself never more than replace minor things (water pump, tstat, clutch and few gaskets externally) and Not seen ONE pop and most we're put at 13psi+ for years till they where sold off. Yet sen 2 ka-t's pop over 1 summer with half the milage this kid is talking about. So stfu and die and the BEST nissan motor is the TB48DE imo ;)

WWR 300ZX FRANK GOES 9.20 VG 30 MOTOR - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qub2DpDpvQY)

franks Z31 from WWR it was a junkyard VG30E from a nissan quest, stock bottom internals. massive work on cylinder heads though. motor lasted the entire season till it blew a rod through the block.

did i mention it's a 700+rwhp vg30E NA2 turbo with stock internals? :spank:

KendallH
05-22-2013, 07:12 PM
I feel like an SR raped this guys girlfriend and murdered his family or something.

In any case :drama::drama::drama::drama::drama::drama:

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 07:15 PM
I feel like an SR raped this guys girlfriend and murdered his family or something.

In any case :drama::drama::drama::drama::drama::drama:
nah I just know when to spot a shitty engine.

jr_ss
05-22-2013, 07:19 PM
oh you need variable valve timing to even the playing field? :down:

my point was the SR is not god send like you just said, everyone and their mother treat it like's it's gods answer to everything... it would not be hard to stroke a fj20 and brig it to specs.

like you said, it made 270rwhp but this was are crappy carbs im sure if you converted it to EFI cop and so and so it would making just as much power if not more then a SR20VE

No I said it was rated at 270hp, that's at the flywheel, not the rear wheels.

Even the field? If we talk VE heads, it's a whole different field where the archaic FJ has no foot holds or ground to walk on.

If you know when to spot a shitty engine, you really were smoking some good stuff when you picked up your RB.

240boi115
05-22-2013, 08:04 PM
honestly s12drifter. why the hell do you hate the sr so damn much? we dont raise the motor like god here. YOU say we do. we all just know its an easy swap to do and its an easy engine to make power from.all the motors you list off probably are a bish to install in a car. and yes im relevant because thats what the OP will end up doing if he chooses to not keep his ka. SWAP A MOTOR IN! dollar for dollar and bang for your buck the sr20 is a good motor. it an take a good beating they have drag cars pumping 1000hp on them (although its not exactly street build nor is this recommended), and its a good start motor . you seriously need to chill out on the sr hate here and compare equivilent motors.. as in I4 vs I4 not v6/v8/race motor vs I4, its stupid and doesnt prove anything.

Bmxer300zx
05-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Why are you showing me youtube videos? Too what ? Ohh wait I get it, we should all go to the junk yard.. pull vg30e's with 230k on em cause they had frequent oil changes and slap a knock off turbo on it? That's all it takes for 700whp? AWESOME! So pissed its that easy

Bmxer300zx
05-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Dude my chevy 6.0 v8 makes 400hp py pooping into the intake while it takes 20k in your SRsuck20 i4 to even keep up.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 08:14 PM
honestly s12drifter. why the hell do you hate the sr so damn much? we dont raise the motor like god here. YOU say we do. we all just know its an easy swap to do and its an easy engine to make power from.all the motors you list off probably are a bish to install in a car. and yes im relevant because thats what the OP will end up doing if he chooses to not keep his ka. SWAP A MOTOR IN! dollar for dollar and bang for your buck the sr20 is a good motor. it an take a good beating they have drag cars pumping 1000hp on them (although its not exactly street build nor is this recommended), and its a good start motor . you seriously need to chill out on the sr hate here and compare equivilent motors.. as in I4 vs I4 not v6/v8/race motor vs I4, its stupid and doesnt prove anything.

lets throw a T28, SR20 injectors and nistune run a conservative tune like the factory does with the SR on a ka24.

bang for buck there are a lot better options out there that can get you more power. it would literally cost a great deal to build a fj20 i understand that their not easy to get parts for either.

the SR20 is a trailer trash motor that drifters like to use to slide because they saw it in fast and furious tokyo drift. the SR is cheap in japan LITERALLY pennys on the dollar people ship them over here tax the fuck out of a garbage engine public buys into it and they make their money.

for the price of a SR you can have a fully forged KA24DET

forged pistons - 500
forged rods - 500 (not that you need them since their already factory forged)

in just those two you're already a few steps ahead of a SR for the price you pay for an ENTIRE swap including install.

brndck
05-22-2013, 08:15 PM
hey guess what? the VG30E is a truck/van motor that will rape whatever SR you want with stock internals.

As an xterra owner and a redtop sr20 owner, you're an idiot and every post I've seen from you has been drivel.

My vg30e is absolutely gutless, even after doing the z31 cams its still slow.

Even the most basic upgrades to the SR (down pipe, exhaust, elbow, intake filter) turned it into a fun, peppy, free revving motor. I'd happily throw an SR in my xterra when the time comes.

Matter of fact, we already replaced the KA in my brothers frontier with an s13 blacktop SR and it was a massive improvement all around.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 08:19 PM
As an xterra owner and a redtop sr20 owner, you're an idiot and every post I've seen from you has been drivel.

My vg30e is absolutely gutless, even after doing the z31 cams its still slow.

Even the most basic upgrades to the SR (down pipe, exhaust, elbow, intake filter) turned it into a fun, peppy, free revving motor. I'd happily throw an SR in my xterra when the time comes.

Matter of fact, we already replaced the KA in my brothers frontier with an s13 blacktop SR and it was a massive improvement all around.

do a VG33ET and you will change your mind.

it's a fucking VG30E they make 140 or less hp to the wheels. VG's love boost N/A their pretty shitty.

i know a guy with a 11.5:1 VG30DE he makes around 350hp with basic stuff but a N/A Vg is pretty hard to pull power out of. I only have about 1k in engine stuff.

HX35, 450CC injectors, used nistune, etc etc on 9/10 pounds i push 300rwhp on a crappy shittastic base tune. (cant find someone to tune it.)

your doing shit wrong.

Bmxer300zx
05-22-2013, 08:21 PM
lets throw a T28, SR20 injectors and nistune run a conservative tune like the factory does with the SR on a ka24.

bang for buck there are a lot better options out there that can get you more power. it would literally cost a great deal to build a fj20 i understand that their not easy to get parts for either.

the SR20 is a trailer trash motor that drifters like to use to slide because they saw it in fast and furious tokyo drift. the SR is cheap in japan LITERALLY pennys on the dollar people ship them over here tax the fuck out of a garbage engine public buys into it and they make their money.

forged pistons - 500

in just those two you're already a few steps ahead of a SR for the price you pay for an ENTIRE swap including install.

Your fucking stupid. Soo buy a t28, sr inj, nistune, ka24de, rods, pistons, DONT FORGET THE HEADGASKET is going to make more hp than a standard sr20 on with a t25 and .4 litres less?
No Fucking shit!
The average kid doesnt have the mentality to tear an engine down and tune it you jackass a sr20 is one of the most simple swaps to do WHY everyone does it. Before I went through all that b.s with a ka-t setup id drive and lsx into a 240 and ram it up your ass

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 08:36 PM
LSx is a pretty overrated swap but it works.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 08:37 PM
The average kid doesnt have the mentality to tear an engine down and tune it you jackass a sr20 is one of the most simple swaps to do WHY everyone does it.

if you cant tear a engine apart and fix it then you should not be swapping motors or working on a car now should you?

espcially swapping LSD's in your cars and shimming them properly getting ring gear and pinion tolerance right or transmission work either seeing as a transmission/diff is way more complicated then tearing a engine apart.

240boi115
05-22-2013, 08:44 PM

forged pistons - 500

there you go again boosting up the motor you are defending... a t28? why not a t25?(if its the rdtop youre comparing) and since when did having forged pistons and rods mean your whole damn motor setup was forged.. youd really boost up a ka without getting a newer block and just throw those 2 mods on? setup for disaster. :facepalm:

Tom N
05-22-2013, 08:48 PM
S15 SR20 has made nealy 1500hp and run a 6.70 1/4 at over 200mph.
Just saying.

Calling it cheap trash is silly.
4g63 is probably the cheapest motor to make fast and IMO the best 4 cylinder out there. If the SR20 had bigger ports in the head it would be a very close second.

mewantkouki
05-22-2013, 08:59 PM
SR and KA are the same goddamn thing. One makes more torque and marginally more hp than the other. The both have the same shit cast pistons. SR is better out of the box. Stronger connecting rods, lighter, fully counter weighted crankshaft, and larger head bolts. There are pro's and cons to each. KA's make boat loads of torque, but they are very sensitive to tune in stock form. Built neither engine is really going to edge the other out in performance. 500whp in an S-chassis isn't practical on the street anyway. Pick what you like and stick with it. You can have a built bottom end ka for what you spend on a stock SR swap. (Not that it matters with the modest power goals most set forth on this forum.) I've owned, beaten and broken both past 350whp. There isn't any advantage to either. SR is much more expensive in every respect though.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 09:01 PM
there you go again boosting up the motor you are defending... a t28? why not a t25?(if its the rdtop youre comparing) and since when did having forged pistons and rods mean your whole damn motor setup was forged.. youd really boost up a ka without getting a newer block and just throw those 2 mods on? setup for disaster. :facepalm:

whats a full SR swap without install run? 2,500? 3k? okay I'll NAME you every part you can build the ka-t out of.

forged weisco pistons - $435
forged weisco 4340 rods - $424
holset HX35 - $290 (too big for you?) holset HE351 (hx40 comp housing and wheel with a hy35 turbine) $200-300
620CC injectors sard - 250$
ACL rod bearings - $25.00
ACl alumglide main bearings - $40.00
turbo manifold - $80

woah we're already setup for serious power and only 1,544 into it.

hone = 10x4 = $40

balance = 250

walbro fual pump 420lph - $140
cometic head gasket - $90
brain cower stage 2 turbo cams - 400

nistune - 550

total in it about 3,010 vs a completely stock 200hp sr20?

yea it's a no brainer. I even threw hone and a balanced assembly in for you.

Frank_Jaeger
05-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I replaced all my seals, timing components(as required to keep my 90day warranty by the importer) and a headgasket with ARPs because I was already in there. Thousands of people have swapped the motor and done nothing more. They are a very stout motor and because of his hate towards the SR he spits uneducated bullshit about it.

A factory 180k KA will not last long when you slap a large turbo on it. Can they handle power? Yes. Do they melt pistons just like an SR when run lean or the tune is off, all day long.

You replaced your headgasket with head studs? Awesome.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 09:03 PM
S15 SR20 has made nealy 1500hp and run a 6.70 1/4 at over 200mph.
Just saying.

Calling it cheap trash is silly.
4g63 is probably the cheapest motor to make fast and IMO the best 4 cylinder out there. If the SR20 had bigger ports in the head it would be a very close second.

the 4g63 is a BEAST of a engine possibly best 4 cylinder made period.

Bmxer300zx
05-22-2013, 09:08 PM
if you cant tear a engine apart and fix it then you should not be swapping motors or working on a car now should you?

espcially swapping LSD's in your cars and shimming them properly getting ring gear and pinion tolerance right or transmission work either seeing as a transmission/diff is way more complicated then tearing a engine apart.

Oh your right in order to be able to swap engines I should first know how to tear them down and rebuild them, know how to use tuning programs, jig rig knockoff turbos on and more?
As apposed to dropping a sr20 in and changing a couple wires, intercooler piping and rad. Wow total sense there im surprised the moderators on here don't just hand their jobs to you seeing how everything you speak is soooo fucking easy.

jr_ss
05-22-2013, 09:09 PM
$2000 doll hairs, doesn't get you a built KA, nor does it get you all the components or a tune...

Regardless of what you think the SR is far from trailer trash. It has been and will continue to be one of the best 4cylinders on the market. Nissan kept it around well into the new millennia and for over a decade in 3 different chassis'.

240boi115
05-22-2013, 09:10 PM
whats a full SR swap without install run? 2,500? 3k? okay I'll NAME you every part you can build the ka-t out of.

holset HX35 - $290 (too big for you?) holset HE351 (hx40 comp housing and wheel with a hy35 turbine) $200-300
turbo manifold - $80

hone = 10x4 = $40

balance = 250

nistune - 550

wow really??? where the hell are you buying your motors?? i can get mine for 1800 without install use the other 1200 on good bolt ons and some seals/ gaskets and boom. although the nistune beats me but id rather run a motor that was meant for boost than one that needs to be prepped... and youre praying on your ka block holding up after 200k+ miles on it.

jr_ss
05-22-2013, 09:11 PM
You replaced your headgasket with head studs? Awesome.

Haha, smartass! You know what I meant.

Tom N
05-22-2013, 09:11 PM
SR and KA are the same goddamn thing. One makes more torque and marginally more hp than the other. The both have the same shit cast pistons. SR is better out of the box. Stronger connecting rods, lighter, fully counter weighted crankshaft, and larger head bolts. There are pro's and cons to each. KA's make boat loads of torque, but they are very sensitive to tune in stock form. Built neither engine is really going to edge the other out in performance. 500whp in an S-chassis isn't practical on the street anyway. Pick what you like and stick with it. You can have a built bottom end ka for what you spend on a stock SR swap. (Not that it matters with the modest power goals most set forth on this forum.) I've owned, beaten and broken both past 350whp. There isn't any advantage to either. SR is much more expensive in every respect though.

You are probably right as I have no experience with the KA. But I know 2 people with KA-T's that make right at about the sane HP as me ( they make a tad more ) but I make a good bit more torque than them and I have a SR.

Frank_Jaeger
05-22-2013, 09:12 PM

turbo manifold - $80

hone = 10x4 = $40

balance = 250

nistune - 550

I'm currently doing a turbo setup for my KA... fully built engine, HX35, 750cc injectors, Nistune, and I'm about $3000 into it. I anticipate spending another $1000.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 09:13 PM
$2000 doll hairs, doesn't get you a built KA, nor does it get you all the components or a tune...

Regardless of what you think the SR is far from trailer trash. It has been and will continue to be one of the best 4cylinders on the market. Nissan kept it around well into the new millennia and for over a decade in 3 different chassis'.
so has the VG30E/ET
'
was made in 1982 released in 1983 and last year in a car was 2004.... but does that mean it isn't trash? nope.

Bmxer300zx
05-22-2013, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=S12 Drifter;5281028]whats a full SR swap without install run? 2,500? 3k? okay I'll NAME you every part you can build the ka-t out of.
/QUOTE]
You're retarded my friend got a s13 blacktop for $1650 at jdmenginezone we swapped it in a week he got a rad kit cxracing and cx intercooler kit with onepeice plenum for another $600.
He did tstat and thats it. The engine also had nismo clutch/flywheel, hks actuator and other little goodies throughout. Shit ran mint for over a year on 13psi. Oh sold the ka for $250 and trans to me for $150 so minus that out you have less than 2k wow
Edit: sorry forgot the downpipe!

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 09:18 PM
wow really??? where the hell are you buying your motors?? i can get mine for 1800 without install use the other 1200 on good bolt ons and some seals/ gaskets and boom. although the nistune beats me but id rather run a motor that was meant for boost than one that needs to be prepped... and youre praying on your ka block holding up after 200k+ miles on it.

the ka24 block will NOT crack it will be harder to crack BMW proved this in their 1986 season with a 1,500 4 cylinder, they gabbed 200k mile junkyard blocks pissed on them left them in the weather etc etc etc.

by the time a motor reaches 200k it will have expanded and contracted so many times the cast iron will have widdiled out any imperfections.

high mileage engine blocks are actually better then lower mileage engine blocks for making power.

ask BMW they do it all the time in their race cars.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=S12 Drifter;5281028]whats a full SR swap without install run? 2,500? 3k? okay I'll NAME you every part you can build the ka-t out of.
/QUOTE]
You're retarded my friend got a s13 blacktop for $1650 at jdmenginezone we swapped it in a week he got a rad kit cxracing and cx intercooler kit with onepeice plenum for another $600.
He did tstat and thats it. The engine also had nismo clutch/flywheel, hks actuator and other little goodies throughout. Shit ran mint for over a year on 13psi. Oh sold the ka for $250 and trans to me for $150 so minus that out you have less than 2k wow
Edit: sorry forgot the downpipe!

how much is the TOTAL he spent in parts and install?

Bmxer300zx
05-22-2013, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=Bmxer300zx;5281053]

how much is the TOTAL he spent in parts and install?

Can you fucking READ!

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Can you fucking READ!
what about motor oil? transmission oil? coolant? radiator? driveshaft? engine brackets.

i dunno.

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 09:34 PM

Massive Engines Part 2 BMW Turbo Power 200k - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQc4MQI4RA4)

:naughtyd:

josh_schul
05-22-2013, 09:54 PM
The answer is all personal preference.. do what YOU want to do.

I personally am going built KA-T (should be firing her up this weekend actually). Its not cheaper than an sr swap. However, I know exactly who, what, and how the motor was assembled. Plus, its now a candidate for power that far exceeds a reliable used stock sr imo.

Either way you chose to take your build... just know that there will be all those little "nickel and dime" expenses that everyone always leaves out when doing these kind of things or the struggle to actually commit and follow through with a build or swap in general.

Bmxer300zx
05-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Radiator was listed with I.c parts.
My entire cx fmic was $190 on my car I don't buy kits I make the least amount of piping possible.
If you don't know that the sr20 is a drop in motor with mounts and driveshaft you shouldn't be building motors.
I dont include oil, trans fluid, spark plugs or coolant where thats a givin no matter what motor you swap. Unless you keep the spark plugs that came with your 220k miles vg30e boat anchor

S12 Drifter
05-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Radiator was listed with I.c parts.
My entire cx fmic was $190 on my car I don't buy kits I make the least amount of piping possible.
If you don't know that the sr20 is a drop in motor with mounts and driveshaft you shouldn't be building motors.
I dont include oil, trans fluid, spark plugs or coolant where thats a givin no matter what motor you swap. Unless you keep the spark plugs that came with your 220k miles vg30e boat anchor

the problem is not everyone knows that. thats like saying, if you didn't know a VG30DETT is a drop in swap for a Z31 then you shouldn't be working on cars. thats pretty ignorant stuff which further proves your intelligence of the vg30ET.

:bash: :ugh:

jr_ss
05-23-2013, 05:09 AM
Or the fact we just don't give a shit about the worst Z chassis made...

Mikester
05-23-2013, 08:14 AM
I think I lost about 15 IQ points reading this thread.

S12 Drifter- The SR is a good motor- far from 'trash'... and I am not some 2F2F-reject kid... I bought my SR in Japan before half you fuckers were even old enough to drive, then brought it home with me when I came back to the states... I beat the ever-loving shit out of it, but kept it well-maintained- it never let me down. Pretty sure that excludes me from your 'bandwagon fanboi' stereotype... BTW- In Japan, if you swapped an RB20 into an S-chassis; with a few key exceptions you would very likely get laughed at. Wonder why that is?

Nothing wrong with doing a KA-t... It's been done enough times to where there is a good knowledge base on how to do it effectively.

I told OP on the 240sx forum that I recommend that he pursues the KA-t option. NOT because SR's are trash, but because the amount of ass-pain he would have to go thru on an SR that has NO crank; and God only knows what else that needs to be fixed/replaced on it before he even begins to contemplate a swap. If that dude had been offering him a turn-key, running SR setup for even $1500; my recommendation would have been different- and that has NOTHING to do with which motor I favor, and EVERYTHING to do with economics.

You can sit and quote prices and Google facts, figures etc all you want. Doesn't matter WHAT you are doing, the nickels and dimes add up; and if you don't have the time, the right tools and/or know how to do your ALL of your own work- the price for either option will go a lot higher than just the price of the parts needed to do it. Which motor is any better than the other is a moot point.

Going back to OP... haven't seen him even touch this thread for a while- probably left the poor kid even more confused than he already is... or laughing his ass off at the stupid tangent you knuckleheads took off on.

S12 Drifter
05-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Or the fact we just don't give a shit about the worst Z chassis made...

no the S130 was the worse chassis made the Z31 was actually an improvement over the S130.

get cho facts straight "yo"

jr_ss
05-23-2013, 09:09 AM
<~~~ drags knuckles on the ground... S12 brings out the worst.

S12 Drifter
05-23-2013, 09:23 AM
<~~~ drags knuckles on the ground... S12 brings out the worst.

S130 has a C.D of .38 as the S30 had a .48C.D aerodynamics were garbage, the Z31 has THE lowest of all the Z's. with a .29 for early models and .30 for the later models (87+), the N/A's i believe had a C.d of .31

to give you an idea the corvette C5 has a C.D of .33 and the GT-R has a CD of .26 the new 05+ C6 vettes have a CD of .35 or .34 LOL

Z31 was designed as a grand touring car just like the supra and Z32... suspension could use improvement.

LEARN YOUR FACTS!

Mikester
05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
LEARN YOUR FACTS!

FACT: This topic has absolutely ZILCH to do with Corvettes, Z31's or GT-R's.

FACT: If my Aunt had a penis, she would be my favorite Uncle Barbara.

FACT: All things considered given the topic at hand, it would be much more economical for OP to stick with his KA.

FACT: I got a haircut yesterday.

FACT: No matter what you say at this point, nobody here is going to concede to any of your nonsense.

FACT: I appreciate free entertainment just as much as the next guy; but this is getting a bit silly...

Is that enough 'facts?'

jr_ss
05-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Ooo I like this game.

Fact- I was refering to its garbage suspension.
Fact- I don't care about the Z31 chassis
Fact- this is way off topic

mmmS13
05-24-2013, 02:39 AM
although the nistune beats me but id rather run a motor that was meant for boost than one that needs to be prepped... and youre praying on your ka block holding up after 200k+ miles on it.

KA's dont need to be prepped to see boost. Im rocking a high mileage block (230k) with boost (50 trim 16psi) with no plans on rebuilding it anytime soon. No need to pray for KA blocks to hold up, they just need appropriate love and care.

S12 Drifter
05-26-2013, 08:16 AM
"built for boost" i laugh at this statement because it shows ignorance.

the VG30DE IS NOT built for "boost" but yet some guy did NA2t with the 10.5:1 compression, e85 huge turbos, 1,700cc injectors etc etc and make 709 or 710 rwhp on the factory nissan pistons and rods. FOR OVER a year! more the 5k miles. he ripped it out not because it blew but because he finished his twin turbo motor. the N/A is still sitting in a corner in his shop, completely functional, still in working condition.

it's about your tune not about whether it came from the factory boosted or not.

240boi115
05-26-2013, 10:22 AM
KA's dont need to be prepped to see boost. Im rocking a high mileage block (230k) with boost (50 trim 16psi) with no plans on rebuilding it anytime soon. No need to pray for KA blocks to hold up, they just need appropriate love and care.
well when i think about it the cast iron block could hold it but ive seen so many go to shit(probably due to terrible tuning) that my opinion on a KA-T is to at least tear it down to see its internals.. if they look healthy then boost time.
"built for boost" i laugh at this statement because it shows ignorance.

the VG30DE IS NOT built for "boost" but yet some guy did NA2t with the 10.5:1 compression, e85 huge turbos, 1,700cc injectors etc etc and make 709 or 710 rwhp on the factory nissan pistons and rods. FOR OVER a year! more the 5k miles. he ripped it out not because it blew but because he finished his twin turbo motor. the N/A is still sitting in a corner in his shop, completely functional, still in working condition.

it's about your tune not about whether it came from the factory boosted or not.
ok firts off i didnt say "built for boost" i said "meant to be boosted" and yes i think its logical to favor a motor that is already turbo powered rather than "make" one turbo powered.why? IT WAS DESIGNED TO DO SO!!!!! im not banging on the VG30DE though its a good motor to boost as is the KA24, and plenty of others...god who knew this thread would drag out this long:dead:

ZenkiKid
05-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Why not just find a local ka24de for $200

Hah, in socal that would be next to impossible. I bought my kade for $150 like 4 years ago but it needed to be rebuilt.

Bmxer300zx
05-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Hah, in socal that would be next to impossible. I bought my kade for $150 like 4 years ago but it needed to be rebuilt.

Ha here isn't so bad it's strange prices of 240's are so high yet the parts are still cheap using forums and c-list.
I bought a ka24de complete trans, ecu and harness off a friend to do a sohc 2 dohc conversion for $500 138k, another person I know sold a sr20 block and head in good condition for $300 to swap in his fully built sr. My friend here in n.y sold his 121k engine, ecu, harness and acc for $250 I bought his trans for $150 lol. Actually I bought my mx83 with a sr20det for $1300 lol all it needed was a new turbo.
There's good deals just gota be ready to jump the second they pop up lol. That's the one thing I can say about a ka-t setup a new motor is only a c-list post/junkyard stop away lol