PDA

View Full Version : Auto tranny wont shift to 4th.

tetsusounds13
05-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Exactly as the title says. My '95 s14 won't shift to the fourth gear and for the life of me I don't know why. Please help! :(

coupesallday!
05-19-2013, 03:40 PM
It probably needs to be rebuilt or you need a tps sensor

PeaceOnesxWai
05-19-2013, 03:43 PM
overdrive is on?

tetsusounds13
05-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Is there a way to test the sensor before I actually go ahead and spend on one? And thanks for the tips!

future
05-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Push on the over drive you fool

Lunghz
05-19-2013, 05:13 PM
time for 5 speed? ;)

tetsusounds13
05-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Push on the over drive you fool

I'm not a fool. Just slightly ignorant. Lol.

I did. That was the first thing I did, but no effect.

tetsusounds13
05-19-2013, 05:14 PM
time for 5 speed? ;)

I'm working on it! :D

I'm just fed up with 3 speed so I'm looking for a quick fix

future
05-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Try jumping the connection. Don't want to drive like that too long. My cousin blew his engine not fixing his problem

tetsusounds13
05-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Try jumping the connection. Don't want to drive like that too long. My cousin blew his engine not fixing his problem

Ok now I might sound like a fool. I have no idea how to do that. I might be able to look at the electrical diagrams, but I don't think I'd know how to do it properly.

tetsusounds13
05-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Does it reset if I turn off the engine? Does it continuously stay on OD?

genericforumname
05-19-2013, 05:40 PM
I'm not going to claim I know a lot about auto's but don't they use solenoids to shift? could be that. otherwise my local Nissan dealer offers free diagnostics, maybe see if your will too. could be as simple as one call to set up a time to bring it in.

tetsusounds13
05-20-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm not going to claim I know a lot about auto's but don't they use solenoids to shift? could be that. otherwise my local Nissan dealer offers free diagnostics, maybe see if your will too. could be as simple as one call to set up a time to bring it in.

I'll be sure to take advantage of the free diagnostic. :)
Thanks for the heads up!

Frank_Jaeger
05-21-2013, 10:16 AM
When you start the car check the O/D light near the windshield wipers. If it blinks count them.

tetsusounds13
05-21-2013, 11:16 PM
When you start the car check the O/D light near the windshield wipers. If it blinks count them.

I've checked for that light. The thing is, there is no flash at all. You're talking about the O/D flash that happens under the tachometer, right?

EchaKqulo
05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
time for 5 speed? ;)
I concurrrrr!!!!:rofl:

Frank_Jaeger
05-22-2013, 10:15 PM
I've checked for that light. The thing is, there is no flash at all. You're talking about the O/D flash that happens under the tachometer, right?
Yeah. I forgot you have an S14, I'm unfamiliar with their interiors. Maybe the bulb's burnt out?

Maybe the overdrive switch doesn't have continuity? Try bypassing it.

Flicktitty
05-22-2013, 10:20 PM
For what it's worth.... check the fuse for your reverse lights. For some reason Nissan has the overdrive tied in with the reverse lights fuse.

tetsusounds13
05-23-2013, 11:06 PM
For what it's worth.... check the fuse for your reverse lights. For some reason Nissan has the overdrive tied in with the reverse lights fuse.

Seriously? That seems highly inconvenient. I'll give it a shot.

tetsusounds13
05-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Ok for now thank you all for your tips. I still haven't foxed it, but for now I've made a new thread on a 5 speed conversion. If you would be kind enough to check it out and offer input, that'd be great! I know it's a little off topic, but I just couldn't resist with the 5 speed advice on this thread. XD

idlafie
05-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Exactly as the title says. My '95 s14 won't shift to the fourth gear and for the life of me I don't know why. Please help! :(

How many miles do you have on the 95 S14? Are you the original owner?? Does the torque converter slip during heavy acceleration? Have you ever changed the transmission fluid & transmission filter?? Try putting the Engine Control Module, (ECM), into Diagnostic Mode & see what code the ECM kicks out. Use the SEARCH function here on ZILVIA to locate a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL for your S14.

I'm having the same problem myself, (I've got a 95 S14 also), but I know what the issues are with my S14....the previous owner did a poor job maintaining it!! I swapped out the tranny fluid & filter & put in Redline D4 Auto tranny fluid, Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - D4 ATF (http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9), and it seems to have helped. I still have an intermittent shifting problem...won't go into 4th sometimes... but I think the problems are with old / failing / dirty solenoids inside the transmission. Anyone ever take one out & clean it??

Anyhow, hope this helps.....

ID

tetsusounds13
06-05-2013, 07:44 PM
How many miles do you have on the 95 S14? Are you the original owner?? Does the torque converter slip during heavy acceleration? Have you ever changed the transmission fluid & transmission filter?? Try putting the Engine Control Module, (ECM), into Diagnostic Mode & see what code the ECM kicks out. Use the SEARCH function here on ZILVIA to locate a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL for your S14.

I'm having the same problem myself, (I've got a 95 S14 also), but I know what the issues are with my S14....the previous owner did a poor job maintaining it!! I swapped out the tranny fluid & filter & put in Redline D4 Auto tranny fluid, Red Line Synthetic Oil - Automatic Transmission Fluids - D4 ATF (http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9), and it seems to have helped. I still have an intermittent shifting problem...won't go into 4th sometimes... but I think the problems are with old / failing / dirty solenoids inside the transmission. Anyone ever take one out & clean it??

Anyhow, hope this helps.....

ID

Thanks a lot brother! So far I switched out the TPS. I thought it would be best to do so since the one it had probably is freakishly old and it looked in not so good of a shape. I adjusted the voltage to .48 ~ .49. I haven't tested the results yet since i'm doing it as i type.

Haven't been able to update or do much since it was finals. :dead:

Thanks for all the help!

tetsusounds13
06-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I would like to see if it's the OD. Does anytime b know where I can trace the OD circuit or something specific that controls it?

tetsusounds13
06-06-2013, 02:46 PM
also, I checked the tranny fluid. I read that if it's good, then it should be a red color (which it is).

Flicktitty
06-06-2013, 02:59 PM
did you ever check the fuse for the reverse lights?

tetsusounds13
06-06-2013, 04:49 PM
did you ever check the fuse for the reverse lights?

I looked at the electrical diagram for it, and I can't possibly see how it's related to the OD issue. :/ I'll check the fuse anyways.

could it possibly be the OD relay fuse?

Flicktitty
06-06-2013, 05:05 PM
it may be, I just know my 2JZ s13 coupe i pulled the reverse light fuse since my reverse lights dont work, to replace a different fuse in a pinch and the overdrive never worked. Put a fuse in and the issue was fixed, i know it's REALLY strange.

tetsusounds13
06-06-2013, 05:24 PM
it may be, I just know my 2JZ s13 coupe i pulled the reverse light fuse since my reverse lights dont work, to replace a different fuse in a pinch and the overdrive never worked. Put a fuse in and the issue was fixed, i know it's REALLY strange.

Damn, my brain is wrinkling...

On the side note, i neither can't find the reverse light fuse -_- i can't even find a proper diagram for the fuse box.

97nismo
06-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Its your torque converter.... After it warms up does it shift into 4 th?....also u will lose reverse pretty soon at least i did. Nissan told me it was a sensor regulating the tranny on the torque converter or some crap or the converter itself idk. A shop quoted me 1500 to fix and so i did a sr redtop swap with a 5 speed lol

tetsusounds13
06-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Damn it this is beginning to sound expensive. Lol. Ok does anyone know where the OD relay is because I've looked EVERYWHERE and I can't find it. Might it be on the a/t control unit? Im gonna try with that fuse before I full swing begin the 5 speed swap since I still need a few parts

tetsusounds13
06-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Would anyone happen to know where the OD relay is?