PDA

View Full Version : catalytic converter questions

yudalicious
04-24-2004, 05:47 PM
I have a 96 240sx with hotshot header. I'm looking to buy a replacement cat that will get rid of the CEL. I've already moved the O2 sensor to the catback piping, now all I need is a cat:

Catco/carsound cat: about $40 from ebay but I've heard these cats do not last long and they need flanges welded on.

Catco cat w/ flanges: From enjukuracing or HT for $150, again, dunno if these will last long, though they do come w/ flanges.

RT cat (w/ flanges): $200~ again, my main concern is w/ the longevity.

s13 cat: I've heard the S13 cat is a 3 way cat (fully functional on its own) vs. the S14 secondary cat, which is a "fake" cat. I was thinking of buying one, even tohugh it'll be more expensive, but can't go wrong w/ OEM quality, better to spend more now.

Any comments on carsound/catco cat quality will be great, and any confirmations on S13 cat as a fully functional 3way cat, or suggestions, thanks.

Yuda

PS what is an air tube for? and do I need an air tube for my cat?

idlafie
04-25-2004, 03:59 AM
I have a 96 240sx with hotshot header.

s13 cat: I've heard the S13 cat is a 3 way cat (fully functional on its own) vs. the S14 secondary cat, which is a "fake" cat. I was thinking of buying one, even tohugh it'll be more expensive, but can't go wrong w/ OEM quality, better to spend more now.

Yuda

PS what is an air tube for? and do I need an air tube for my cat?

Yuda,
FYI, on S14's the second "fake" cat is empty -There is no honeycomb material in there - there is nothing in there at all!! The cat that does all the work of cleaning up your exhaust air on the S14 is located immediately after the exhaust manifold on the downpipe that hugs your firewall. This cat does all the work. The secondary "fake" cat is merely cosmetic. I had a Nissan service manager quote me a price of $600 dollars about 4 years ago for the first cat, (the one by the firewall), and $300 for the secondary "fake" cat after my car failed smog due to a melted cat. Save your money & go with aftermarket...just make sure it's a high-flow type cat that won't restrict the exhaust flow.
Good luck!!
ID

yudalicious
04-25-2004, 08:12 AM
I've looked in the second cat and I've actualy seen the honey comb material though... I've been told that SOME had actual cats in there, but the general consensus is that they are not 3 way and will not work on their own. I'm trying to go aftermarket but I've heard the aftermarket cats usually don't last as long as OEM - just, keep sggestions coming!