PDA

View Full Version : S14 Auto to Manual Swap OBDII, 5spd ECU needed ?

180PWR
04-23-2004, 07:13 AM
For the S14 kouki auto to manual Swap do you
NEED the 5 speed ECU ?
I did the swap on my S13 and stayed with the Auto ECU, never had a prob.
Just wondering if itll be diff with the S14 OBDII.
Thanks in advance..
-Rick

SaintlyCharBoy
04-23-2004, 10:26 AM
the ecu is not technically necessary, but it will trhow a code when not recieving information from the tranny

Maeda
04-23-2004, 11:31 AM
No need. You can even use the S14 auto shifter piece (reverse and 5th are a little cramped but it works).

AlexAtPerformanceNissan
04-23-2004, 03:01 PM
You might have cold start issues. Check out the following sites
http://www.ka24development.com/transmission_swap.html
http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/s14_5speed_swap.htm

Good Luck,
-Alex B.

drift freaq
04-23-2004, 03:09 PM
You might have cold start issues. Check out the following sites
http://www.ka24development.com/transmission_swap.html
http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/s14_5speed_swap.htm

Good Luck,
-Alex B.
240sx.org install is out of date. look in our faq section for the install information that I wrote up. Jeff240sx one of our moderators liked it so much he asked me if he could put it on his website.
You will not have cold start issues . I have done many of these and never had that problem. If you use the auto ecu you will throw a code and turn on the check engine light in s14's thought the car will still run fine.

OptionZero
04-23-2004, 03:57 PM
thats for the s14 OBD I ecu...i thought w/ a '97 thats OBDII you NEED the 5spd ecu?

AlexAtPerformanceNissan
04-23-2004, 04:00 PM
thats for the s14 OBD I ecu...i thought w/ a '97 thats OBDII you NEED the 5spd ecu?

IIRC, Option Zero is correct, this is why i said that he "might" experience cold start issues as well as many more....always a what if or maybe when you change something.

-Alex B.

drift freaq
04-23-2004, 09:30 PM
IIRC, Option Zero is correct, this is why i said that he "might" experience cold start issues as well as many more....always a what if or maybe when you change something.

-Alex B.
no alex, I have swapped OBDII cars with no cold start issues. I stand by my statement you can run the auto ecu but it will trigger the check engine light. I have always recommended people use the 5 speed ecu in S14's . you guys obviously misunderstood my statement and alex I have lots of experience with these swaps do you?
Plus your statement of always a what if or maybe when you change something leads me to believe you have not done much hands on work. If you know what your doing when you change stuff there is little or no randomness i.e. what if or maybe. You change it you get results. not what ifs.

P.S. alex and option you guys need to go read my faq more closely before calling foul on what I am saying here.

psychedelicbeats
04-23-2004, 11:43 PM
well you need a obdii anyways to pass smog, right? in california... hell effin yeah.

phrozen
04-24-2004, 01:11 AM
Well i live in Cali, I have a obd-i 91 240 in need of a new motor. I would like to swap in a SMOG LEGAL obd-ii ka motor that dosent throw codes and everything works, tach spedo ect. Does anyone know the exact parts that are needed? and if there is anything wiring i should be worried about.
Im thinking i need
-the full obd-ii harness
-obd-ii ecu
- s13 driveshaft?
-s13 exhaust manifold
-s13 intake manifold
-s13 distributor
what else is needed?

i knwo theres a write up about this but it dosent really cover going from obd-i to obd-ii and thats what im concerned abotu, espicially about passing smog cuz im not tryign to go through the hassle.

OptionZero
04-24-2004, 01:46 AM
isn't going wiring an OBDI engine for OBDII a total bitch, meaning its better to simply get engine and ECU of the same year together, avoiding much of the hassle?

anyways, I have a 5spd ecu from a '97, so when i swap my '97 from auto to manual, i am covered no matter what

phrozen
04-24-2004, 02:16 AM
No im planning on getting a obd-ii ka motor set(motor tranny ecu, ect) and rewiring my 91 for obd-ii and having it smog legal without throwing codes and have everything in working order like tach and spedo ect

AlexAtPerformanceNissan
04-24-2004, 02:03 PM
no alex, I have swapped OBDII cars with no cold start issues. I stand by my statement you can run the auto ecu but it will trigger the check engine light. I have always recommended people use the 5 speed ecu in S14's . you guys obviously misunderstood my statement and alex I have lots of experience with these swaps do you?
Plus your statement of always a what if or maybe when you change something leads me to believe you have not done much hands on work. If you know what your doing when you change stuff there is little or no randomness i.e. what if or maybe. You change it you get results. not what ifs.

P.S. alex and option you guys need to go read my faq more closely before calling foul on what I am saying here.

I apologize if you took offense to my statements, this was not my intent. I have a 95 s14 and did an auto to manual swap along with a redtop install. To be totally honest with you, the only sensor on my tranny hooked up is the VSS. none of the others are hooked up. I haven't had a single problem yet.
Once again, sorry if i said something that offended you. I have personally helped out with three auto to manual swaps and have always went with the mannual ecu or JWT reprogrammed manual ecu..

-Alex B.

mendozasport
04-24-2004, 02:28 PM
it must realy suck living in cali , although u guys get parts from japan alot easier than here in Mickey land , but i could run aruond all day with 125 octane gas and not worry about the snifing police....