PDA

View Full Version : Sr22 piston compression ring help!!!!

theu1986
05-08-2013, 08:30 PM
I have a 89 s13 with a sr22 in it that i was breaking in. only went up to 3k rpms and never over 70 mph. I felt that i was losing power and noticed white smoke coming out of exhaust. The oil pressure was also slowly going down. checked oil oil was being consumed more than normal. there was also oil residue on inside of exhaust. placed finger inside cylinder 2,3,4. fine. placed finger in cylinder 1 and oil was on finger. doing compression test tommrow to get numbers but does this sound like a piston ring problem or something else.

thank you

Chaluska
05-08-2013, 08:36 PM
sounds like a headgasket, combined with terrible workmanship

theu1986
05-08-2013, 08:44 PM
But im not having a coolant issue. if im not mistaken a head gasket should change coolant consistency or bubble from radiator which isn't happening in my situation. not saying the headgasket is not the problem but the diagnosis seems to be pointing to the rings. also the oil is not milky which would happen more often than not in a blown head gasket. plz correct me if im wrong.

thanx

S12 Drifter
05-08-2013, 08:58 PM
you did not break in the motor right pull it apart add new rings hone the walls and try again.

or... you did a shitty job building the engine.. do you have a spec sheet of all the specs of clearances from the engine?

when i build a engine i spec everything before i pull it apart and after i rebuild it, cams, bearings, H/G, pistons, rods, oil pump, everything gets spec'd.

having a spec sheet can determine if you were running the proper ring clearance. what was your clearance for rings 1 and 2 compression? did you set the rings properly?

and what was spec for your oil ring as well?

additionally what temperature was it when the motor was put together?

s13will
07-21-2013, 11:56 PM
what are good compression numbers. I did a compression test on my sr20 and got 90 psi all the way across. the had not been started it sat over three days and when I did the test, just turned the engine. and that was it. can anyone help me out?

waxball88
07-22-2013, 01:33 AM
Rings did not seat properly, re-ring. 90 is way too low

slideslidegnarslide
07-22-2013, 01:54 AM
That's a different guy.

R@ddy
07-22-2013, 04:48 AM
OK! first of all, no engine, even if Improperly broken in, will gush oil out of one piston ring. Sounds like an oil ring issue. They're thin, so it could of been crushed during install. Also, 90psi across, COLD? also an issue. Whoever rebuilt this engine really fucked up.
Tear apart, check bore, and re-ring accordingly or go the next size over.

slideslidegnarslide
07-22-2013, 11:07 AM
The 90 psi guy is not op

powermymotor
08-01-2013, 04:33 PM
this all comes from white smoke in the exhaust? didnt notice that

theu1986
08-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Ok i have motor rebuilt (only pistons, headgasket ect..) i found the problem. The number one cylinder furl injector was faulty causing the number one cylinder to running ultra lean which in effect fried the piston/oil ring. This is why i was burning so much oil (smoke ect) i have no re sodered all injector wiring and i am at 1,500 miles on my fresh rebuild. She is running great. Thanx for the help.

codyace
08-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Ok i have motor rebuilt (only pistons, headgasket ect..) i found the problem. The number one cylinder furl injector was faulty causing the number one cylinder to running ultra lean which in effect fried the piston/oil ring. This is why i was burning so much oil (smoke ect) i have no re sodered all injector wiring and i am at 1,500 miles on my fresh rebuild. She is running great. Thanx for the help.

Good to hear you got it sorted, but sucks it was injector (or wiring) that made it melt down.