PDA

View Full Version : Wiring issue? Fans on without key in ignition.

Flicktitty
05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
So this winter i redid the timing belt/water pump and new gauges. and a few other small things on the 2JZ 240sx. Went to start checking things over and decided it was time to turn the ignition on. So i hooked up the battery and as soon as the battery had power/ground the electric fans turned on (Flex a lite 410s, Controlled by a DIF PWM fan controller). I thought that was odd i went ahead and bumped the key to ACC and the fans shut off. I wired the fans/controller the same as they were the previous year (in good working shape then, following the instructions posted by DIF and FAL.) When i turned the ACC off the fuel pump stayed running.

I'm not sure if something is grounding out somewhere in the harness. Or if it is an ignition switch issue that it doesn't know what key on/key off is. Or if the battery just doesn't have a good enough charge (although it was reading 11.8-12.1 Volts) Or if it is a relay issue? I'm going to be checking it again just wanted someone elses opinion.

anti tyler
05-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Always a battle with wiring. It sounds a lot like a relay issue. at least in my opinion.

I'm going through issues like that myself. they should be all about the same, try swapping the fan relays around with the fuel pump one. or even removing them and putting them back in.

had 3 people come into my store this past week with relay issues. mostly the armature getting stuck open or closed. good stuff.

Flicktitty
05-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Always a battle with wiring. It sounds a lot like a relay issue. at least in my opinion.

I'm going through issues like that myself. they should be all about the same, try swapping the fan relays around with the fuel pump one. or even removing them and putting them back in.

had 3 people come into my store this past week with relay issues. mostly the armature getting stuck open or closed. good stuff.

Yeah i'm going to give it a go with swapping out a few relays and seeing what happens.

anyone else have any insight?

codyace
05-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Unsure how they are used with the 2jz swap, but check the relays in the front passenger side (EGI and Fuel Pump IIRC...been a while since looking)

Sometimes they can fail (and or the ECU pin can get damaged) thus rendering it useless and making it work in funny ways (with the pump never shutting off after prime being a good sign)

I'm a bit exhausted and tired at the moment, but I'd start there. I can't remember off the top of my head which relay it is 100% but it's one of those two.

Flicktitty
05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks Cody! I'll look into that stuff and see what i can do!

fliprayzin240sx
05-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Did you have a manual switch wired for it? Maybe you got that on if you do. If its not wired for it, then the controller could be going bad.

Flicktitty
05-07-2013, 09:12 PM
There isn't an over ride. I guess the controller could be going bad, i know alot of other people had issues with the older DIF controllers. this is their PWM controller that is supposed to be the "best" Maybe i'll read up on how to have the AEM control them.