PDA

View Full Version : Power FC Repair + more? (Socal)

HazeBlazer
05-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Sup guys, so I just bought this badass s14 w/sr20det today, been waiting for this moment since I was 15. Anyways, work has to be done to it including replacing the turbo, and I contacted the man Steve Shadows for remote tuning and mapping for once I put it all back together, I'm just trying to figure out my ECU situation and need your guys advice.

The car has a wideband O2 sensor and S-AFC II right now and it's not running too great (runs rich). Main issue is it doesn't start up when the engine is hot, so you gotta try and turn it over with only 2 injectors plugged in and then it starts. The seller also included an Apexi Power FC which he bought from someone who claimed it was working but wouldn't turn on.

So, the goal here is to get this thing running like a champ again, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to get a standalone so Steve can really tune it nicely. Is there a spot in Los Angeles that can fix it quick? Should I just buy a brand new unit?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

jr_ss
05-05-2013, 07:20 PM
You need to figure out what size injectors you have. Send the PFC back to Apexi to have them look it over and repair/replace the parts in question. I'm assuming you're on a factory ECU since the PFC won't fire up, if that is the case and you have larger injectors in there that could be part of your rich issue.

Fix the things correctly as you come across them. There is a lot of information on this site, you'll just have to dig for what you need. Do not start a new thread every time you have a new question. There is also the small questions thread if it's not tech related. Good luck.

fliprayzin240sx
05-05-2013, 09:17 PM
You could also check the voltage on the harness. I can't remember off the top of my head but there's 2 12v power pins on the harness that the PFC needs to run properly. Sometimes, one of those pins doesnt pump out the 12v needed so the PFC wont even turn on. It would work for the stock ECU since the ECU only needs one 12v source.

EvilRB
05-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Here read: Apexi PowerFC FAQ (http://paulr33.com/powerfc-faq/powerfc-faq.htm)

Then as fliprayzin240sx suggested find the pin outs and test your unit

Good Luck

All else fails take it to apexi and ask them to test it for you, no biggie it's one of the great things about living in LA

boost86
05-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I had Apexi test my broken PFC and they didn't fix it. They just charged me a diagnostic fee to tell me it was working correctly. The injector drivers were bad on it. Had to buy another PFC which fixed the problem.

EvilRB
05-05-2013, 10:13 PM
^ that sucks I would have drove back down there and complained! :P

HazeBlazer
05-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Apexi is in Los Angeles? I read quite a few horror stories about Apexi Japan and a very long turnaround time. I'll definitely check that out. My injectors are 555cc Denso's, so that could very well explain the rich issue. The advice is much appreciated, I'll get with my mechanic homie tomorrow and try to test out the power FC, I'll update on if it worked, thanks!

EvilRB
05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Yeah they're located right next to angel stadium.
Well Good Luck with your car!

fliprayzin240sx
05-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Apexi USA doesnt fix PFCs, they can test it but they can't fix it. They have to send back to Japan to get it fixed.

I've done some research online when my PFC was acting out a few months ago and found a guy local to me that has fixed a few FD PFCs. Here's the info I've found but didnt personally go thru since my PFC came down to a faulty ECCS relay.

Audio Services
544 Central Drive
Virginia Beach, Va.

757-498-9551

Ask for Peter Florence.

HazeBlazer
05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
^^ I read about this guy and pftuning.com on another forum who's member sent his PFC to him for repairs, and recommended him, I'll make this my backup plan once I've tried other options to see if it's an easy/stupid repair.

I called Apexi just this morning and they said they would have to send the unit out to japan for repairs, which will take too long, so Apexi and their $75 diagnostic is out of the question.

EvilRB
05-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Did you try to test it yourself yet?

jag87
09-13-2013, 11:15 PM
^^ I read about this guy and pftuning.com on another forum who's member sent his PFC to him for repairs, and recommended him, I'll make this my backup plan once I've tried other options to see if it's an easy/stupid repair.

I called Apexi just this morning and they said they would have to send the unit out to japan for repairs, which will take too long, so Apexi and their $75 diagnostic is out of the question.

If anyone need an Apexi PFC repair we can do it.
We will test it and diagnose of what is wrong, do repair and test correct operation after the repair.
All for less then half what is Apexi in Japan charging.
Please contact through the FC-Hako website. We already repaired many of dead PFC's.
FC-HAKO - Apexi Power FC tuning hardware interface (http://fc-hako.com/)